Miscarriages Community

Miscarriage at week 16-no heartbeat

I am week 16 ,almost 17, and the ultra sound showed no heart beat, the beta count was 4400. I am 41 years old, had 2 healthy preg before, no miscarriage in the past.  I had 2 c sections in the past. The doctor in the emerg suggest 3 options to choose from: natural miscarriage to wait till the body will do it.  2. D&C 3. to take vaginal medication.

In my previous labor I had no progress to opening in the cervix, and after getting medication to make it start, I got the contractions for labor but with no opening at all.  If they will give me the medication now to make it open, can my body react to the medication even though in the past he did not?

Can I do the D&C even though I had 2 c sections? Is not it too risky?

Can my body be able to do a natural miscarriage by itself and how long it takes the body to realize he is no longer preg?  

In the ultra sound it showed the baby fits 12 and 13 weeks ,although I was week 16. What does it mean? Does it mean he stopped developed at week 13 and died then? or does it mean the baby could die after and the body of it just shrank to size of week 13?

In my case, what will be better for me to do, the operation or natural?

Thank you so much for your reply ,I appreciate it.
Hi, I responded to your other post but just wanted to say that you shouldnt worry about complications with previous C sections and having the D&C... they are 2 completely different proceedures with no conflicting problems

I had my first child normal delivery, 2nd pregnancy was M/C which I had a D&C for then 3rd & 4th pregnancy were C-sections, 5th pregnancy M/C and D&C.

Your own personal choice is all that matters.. if you feel strong enough to let nature take its course then you should do that but if you need closure then I would opt for the D&C... the proceedure is very quick and does ensure (most of the time) that all products of the pregnancy are removed which allows your body to 'go back to normal' quicker.

You will also be able to get more answers to your questions if you have the proceedure too as from experience when I had mine I was able to ask at what stage/age the baby stopped developing etc etc. They could tell me what the size of my uterus was and at what stage the fetus was.

I know what an emotional and sad time this is for you. Take care and be kind to yourself. With time you will start to feel a little bit better but at the moment this is all so raw and am sending you lots of hugs
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.