MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.

Progesterone supplements

After trying for 3 months, (no patience) I saw my doctor. They tested my progesterone. It was 12.1. I didn't know it at the time, but I was about 4 days pregnant. When I went back, my progesterone level dropped to 6. They put me on progesterone supplements, but I miscarried anyway. I can't find the answer to this question. Is low progesterone the cause of a miscarriage? or a sign or an already failing pregnancy? I asked to be put on Clomid. Dr. said I didn't need it. I asked if I needed to see a specialist. Dr. also said no. I'm getting so frustrated with trying. My last period (before miscarriage) was December 13th 2008. Today is February 25 and I still haven't had a period. Am I doomed to have another miscarriage?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Isn't this all so frustrating....
I think I am going to switch doctors just for a change. My husband refuses to go back to the doctor I am seeing now. They even called me by the wrong name : ( Has anyone else taken this long to get their period back? It's been 30 days since my miscarriage and no sign of a period.
Helpful - 0
I have PCOS and have to take progesterone with my pregnancies.  I lost my last baby at 16 weeks- had been doing supplements the whole time.  A week before I lost my baby, my progesterone dropped 20 points.  My doctor still does not know if it dropped because the baby was dying or if the drop caused the baby to die.  You need to discuss with your doctor what they think is best.  I also have to take progesterone monthly even when I'm not pregnant.  
Helpful - 0
Thanks for writing. It is helpful to talk with you guys : ) I think the hardest thing for me is patience! It is also hard b/c everyone around me is pregnant! cousins, friends. Argh!
Helpful - 0
I am sorry for your loss.  It can take a healthy fertile couple up to a year to conceive.  It can be very frustrating since we only have one chance each month to conceive, and then we have to wait another cycle to try again.  There is only a 20 to 30% chance each cycle of getting pregnant.  The Dr.s don't usually say much because a lot of times they just don't know.  There are so many things that can go wrong, and early m/c like your is very common, usually related to chromosomal abnormalities that aren't likely to recur.  Some women do need progesterone, usually those who have pcos, which is unlikely if you have regular cycles and ovulate on your own.  I was put on progesterone supplement before my last m/c, and all it did was keep my body from m/c a non-viable pregnancy on it's own.  I needed to take meds at 12 weeks, and it was terrible.  I did a lot of research, and it seems to me the medical community is somewhat divided on the progesterone issue.  I have read a lot of Dr.s seem to think that low or dropping progesterone is most often a  sign of a non-viable pregnancy, while some think that low progesterone causes m/c.  It probably falls somewhere in between.  I know what it was in my case, and like AP said, she had low numbers but her pregnancy is continueing on forward.  Tests aren't done usually until 3 m/c, sometimes 2 if they are consecutive.  I wish you lots of luck, and as hard as it is to keep patient, you know that you can get pregnant, and 3 months really isn't all that long.  Good luck!!
Helpful - 0
Oh, that makes me feel better. I did have a cold and was taking antibiotics before I found out I was pregnant. The doctors haven't said much. (That's kind of the frustrating part) I am wondering if the progesterone supplements will actually help next time..
Thanks for responding!  : )
Helpful - 0
I'm sorry for your loss. Not always. I had low progesterone levels with this pg and low rising hcg levels and my pregnancy has progressed. It may have played a major part in your pg but it could be a number of things. Undiagnosed infections such as urinary and sinus or issues with your uterus or usually the major reason is chromosomal defects. The baby may have been sick. What has your dr told you? Best wishes to you. Habg in there. If you need to talk I'm here!

Hugs,
AP
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Miscarriages Community

Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.