Miscarriages Community

Regret and doubt after medically managed missed miscarriage

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with a missed miscarriage at what should have been 10+4 based on my lmp. Unsure about ovulation. Based on when I got the pregnancy test positive and assuming that is only 8dpo, I would be 9+1. So, pretty much at the EARLIEST, 9 weeks.

Ultrasound showed fetus measuring 6+1 and 6+3 with no heartbeat. Gestational sac was "hemorrhaging" (or she may have said something else, not sure) and the doctor said that was characteristic in a failed pregnancy.

I got 4 ultrasounds in the same day, with two different techs and two different machines. Two abdominal, two vaginal, all said the same, measuring 6-something and no heartbeat.

We talked about my options and I decided on the misoprostol pills to induce miscarriage because my body wasn't doing it itself. That was 3 days ago, and I seem to have completed the miscarriage. Now I cannot shake the feeling that I aborted a healthy pregnancy. I've been pregnant twice before and have had early ultrasounds at 6 weeks that showed a heartbeat, and this was at the earliest 9 weeks. My husband is confident in the diagnosis. But I feel like I just got an abortion, so much guilt. What if I had waited a week, would the baby have suddenly grown and gotten a heartbeat? I read stories online about people that were measuring 3 weeks behind with no heartbeat suddenly found one on the next ultrasound. But are those situations usually because they were off in their dates? Because 9 weeks is the earliest possible date for me, or else I would have gotten the positive pregnancy test before I even ovulated.

I can't describe how I feel, except so disgusting that I could have killed a healthy baby. I had no spotting or bleeding, but my symptoms had pretty much disappeared.

Obviously there's no going back. But why do I have these feelings that maybe I should have done things differently? It would have to be a HUGE stretch with lots of variables for me to see how I could possibly be 6 weeks no heartbeat and have a healthy pregnancy. Rationally, I understand that. And yet I feel so guilty.
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.