Vitamins for DH

Does anybody have any suggestions on vitamins that I could get for DH?  I'm going to wait a few more months before I make an appointment with an RE, but I feel there is something that we can be doing now to help increase our fertility.  I'm currently taking pre-natals, but don't know if I should also be supplementing?

Has anybody tried the FertilAid, with any success?  I was reading about it this morning (and yes I am supposed to be working right now :) but you have to take 3 a day and I don't think I can talk DH into that.  I have to remind him everyday as it is just to take 1 tiny little folic acid pill.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
http://thefertilityshop.com/fertility_herbs_vitamins.htm
this is a website I found.  not as good as the first one i found but good luck!
Helpful - 0
Ok, so here is what my DH has to put up with from me.  He is on a daily regimine of:
MultiVitamin (contains the daily requirements of selenium and zinc, and it just good for him)
1000mg of Vitamin C (good for the swimmers)
1000mg of Flaxseed Oil (good for the swimmers, but I don't think he is taking enough)
800mg of Folic Acid (improves health of swimmers - much like for females and is good for overall health)
Bless his heart, he has taken them everyday so far this week :)

I'm taking:
prenatal vitamin
2000mg EPO, from AF to O (not supposed to take after O, because it can cause uterine contractions)
1000mg of Flaxseed Oil from O to AF

Keep the info coming, I love to read it!!
Helpful - 0
No you should take EPO only after af. Before is a waste. Ok I have to find the website again. I'm into the whole natural thing lately. I didn't see my af after I loss my son at 5 months preggo. I drink parsley tea and 2 caps of Ginger root. Af was here 4 days later, now I'm trying VItex to help o. But I will leave you info on the site and more sites like it ok.
Helpful - 0
WOW!  Thanks for the info.  I've just spent the last 2 hours doing research and haven't found all the info you posted!  What I did find is that Selenium and Zinc levels that he should achieve are found in his regular multi vit.  I also found all sorts of info on Vit C and it's importance.  He should take up to 1000mg a day and I intend to get that tomorrow.

I just went out and bought Evening Primrose Oil (EPO) for myself today.  Do you think he should take it too?  I know that what I read said I should only take EPO from AF to O, then switch to flaxseed oil.

Is there a particular website you got this info from?  If so, could you leave me a note on what it is?
Helpful - 0
also a good multi vitamin can do the trick.
Helpful - 0
Well I know that for men your DH can try Maca Powder from Peru. And antioxidants. Pumpkin seeds

A great food for male fertility, as they contain high levels of zinc and essential fatty acids which are vital to healthy functioning of the male reproductive system.

Supplements

The following supplements can help increase sperm count and mobility. Don’t expect overnight results as they will take a few months to become effective.

1. Arginine

This non essential amino acid and is needed to produce healthy sperm. Natural production of arginine declines with age and a supplement here may help older patients

2. Coenzyme Q10

Helps Increase sperm count and motility.

3. L-carnitine

Required for normal sperm function, Carnitine is a naturally occurring amino acid and men with healthy sperm in high numbers often have high carnitine levels.

4. Selenium

Selenium is believed to be good for spermmobility.

Nearly 50% of the selenium in a man is in the testes and seminal ducts; men lose selenium in their semen.

5. Zinc

Required for a healthy male reproductive system and sperm production.

Zinc is required for the production of testosterone and zinc content in the prostate gland and sperm is higher than in any other body tissues.

A deficiency of zinc is associated with numerous sexual problems, including sperm abnormalities and prostate disease.

Zinc helps to maintain semen volume and adequate levels of testosterone; keeping sperm healthy.

6. Vitamin B-12

B-12 deficiency reduces sperm motility and sperm count and is one of the most frequent vitamin deficiencies so make sure your intake is adequate.

7. Vitamin E

Helps to improve the overall health of sperm.

Sperm can be damaged by harmful molecules (free radicals). Vitamin E is an antioxidant which helps to reduce the number of free radicals, vitamin C also can be taken for its antioxidant qualities

8. Omega fatty acids

Omega 3 fatty acids (found in oily fish and flaxseed oils) and omega-6 fatty acids ( evening primrose and starflower oils) can help improve the sperm membrane fluidity and male fertility.

9. Astragalus

A Chinese herb which is now grown in popularity worldwide medical research indicates that Astragalus has a stimulating effect on the production of sperm and also helps to improve sperm motility.

10. Ginseng (Panax ginseng)

Used in Chinese medicine for thousands of years, and popular worldwide to help increase testosterone levels and sperm count and improve the quality of sperm

11. Saw palmetto (Serenoa repens)

Saw Palmetto contains a variety of fatty acids, including capric, caprylic, caproic, lauric, palmitic and oleic acid, and their ethyl esters.

Saw Palmetto oil is high in phytosterols (beta-sitosterol, stigmasterol, cycloartenol, lupeol, lupenone and 24-methyl-cycloartenol), as well as other oils, resins, and tannin and is seen as an overall body tonic for men and is believed to help male fertility rates.
Helpful - 0
I didnt really think about supplementing DH besides a multi. Ill look into it some more. im supposed to be going to a health store today ill ask them i make it there.
Helpful - 0
i just had mine take a mens daily vitamin and cut back his soda intake while we were TTC
Helpful - 0
That is a really good question!  Sorry, I have no answers though :)
Helpful - 0
I never really thought too much about it...Mine just takes a men's complete vitamin...Good idea!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Miscarriages Community

Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.