Miscarriages Community

Why does a Fetal Heart Stop Beating?

I just found out that I m/c for the second time.  This time the baby was 9weeks and fourdays.  I'm supposed to be 11 weeks pregnant.  I thought everything was find...but Iwas wrong. I'm going in for a D&C tomorrow.  

I'm just wondering...will the D&C lessen my chances of having a healthy child?  

Why did the heart stop beating when everything else was just fine?

Should I have my OB examine the fetal tissue?  She says that it will not really show anything.  She says that it is more helpful for us to just have a work-up done for myself and my husband...what will this entail?

Life is a nightmare right now...and I don't know what to do.
First, I'm sorry for your loss.  After my m/c, my OB offered to test the tissue to make sure that whatever was causing the m/c wasn't genetic.  In my case it was not genetic, just abnormal chromosomes.  The testing really helped ease my mind.

My thoughts & prayers are with you.
Hi, this is from a British medical site.  I've posted it several times before, because it was useful to me when I had a miscarriage.

"Despite their prevalence, it is always devastating when a woman experiences a miscarriage. A large portion of women will experience at least one miscarriage during their reproductive years. If you have had a miscarriage, take the time to understand better why these occur and why it is not your fault.

"When you conceive and a baby is created, it takes half its genes from the sperm and half from the egg that ovulated that month. At the exact time of conception, the cross-over of these genes takes place. Sometimes, for no reason other than bad luck, some information is lost and the pregnancy is destined from that point not to be.

"It might be that this lost information is not needed for many weeks, and the pregnancy will continue as normal until that time. When the needed information is not there, it is then that the baby dies and you begin to miscarry.  Another cause might be that the baby did not implant, or bury itself, into the womb lining properly - once again, just due to bad luck.

"These are the most common reasons that women miscarry. Not because of something you did or didn't do, but just because of chance. Not because you drank alcohol, ate some unpasteurised cheese, or didn't take folic acid. Certainly not because you had sex or didn't rest enough.

"Whether you lay in bed from the day of your positive pregnancy test or went hang-gliding every day wouldn't have changed things. Its nature's way of making sure that when you do have a baby, it has the best chance for all of its life. Miscarriage does not mean that you won't be able to get pregnant again.

"A D&C (dilatation and curettage) or evacuation may be carried out to reduce the chance of infection and ensure that you don't continue bleeding over the following weeks. Very rarely, it can cause infection of the uterine lining. It is believed that the chance of this is less likely than had you not undergone a D&C. If this happens it usually responds well to a short course of antibiotics. The D&C doesn't weaken your cervix or make you more likely to miscarry in subsequent pregnancies.

"The risk of miscarriage decreases as pregnancy progresses. It is possible that as many as 50% of pregnancies miscarry before implantation in the womb occurs. Early after implantation, pregnancy loss rate is about 30% (i.e.; still before a pregnancy is clinically recognised). After a pregnancy may be clinically recognised (between days 35-50), about 25% will end in miscarriage. The risk of miscarriage decreases dramatically after the 8th week as the weeks go by.

"Many women miscarry more than once in their life. Considering the frequency of miscarriage, about 1 in 36 women will have 2 miscarriages due to nothing more than chance. Any miscarriages after that might prompt your doctors to suggest some tests to ensure that it isn't happening for some other reason."

Hope this helps.  

Thanks Annie for the information.  It really helped me in a way reason out what happened.  Still really sad, but my husband and I won't stop trying to have children.
Should I have my OB run lab tests on the fetal tissue after the D&C?
Yes, I would.... They didn't find anything in mine though...it wouldn't hurt and maybe you will get some answers... I am sorry for your loss... I am going to m/c... I have to wait until Thurs. before they see what they are going to do....  I have also m/c twice....why does this happen to us???
hi, i just went through the same thing and was devastated as you are. I am so sorry this happened to you. I was supposed to be 10 weeks and my baby stopped developing at 8 weeks, a few days after my next to last ultrasound. I previously saw the heart beat two other times and when i went in for another sono, it was gone. I too asked my doctor if the baby would be tested and he said that since it has already been so long, there is really no use. He says that it is just something that happens and like that article that anniebrooke posted. I wish that if there was something wrong with the baby at the very first first part of pregnancy that it wouldnt  continue. It is so much harder as time goes on and you are thinking that everything will be perfect. We were almost out of our third trimester and just knew that everything was ok this time. I know exactly how you are feeling and i am so sorry for you. This site really helped me through my loss and these ladies here are so wonderful in supporting you through your hard time. My heart goes out to you. Please just know that you will get through this, not today, or tomorrow or even the next day, but you will eventually and then you can begin trying to have a baby again. The odds are in our favor with the next baby, they have to be!!! Please, if you wanna talk, just let me know. I am here for you as well as all the other ladies here on this site. God bless you and you are in my thoughts and prayers tonight.
Amber
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.