MS quizz "For those who suffer from MS"

Hi beautiful people, I have just a few questions.

1.) How long have you had MS?

2.) Has there been a period where you lost the use of your legs, and then got them back? If so, how long did you lose them for?

3.) What is worse for you, depression about having MS or the physical symptoms it causes?

4.) How long did you have MS before you first lost the use of your legs?

5.) Do you think they’re going to find a cure for MS in the next ten years? If not a cure, perhaps a medicine that completely reverses paralysis and other symptoms?

6.) Living with MS, have you learnt to forget about it someday’s or is it something that is constantly on the back of your mind?

7.) For those of you that still have the use of your legs, are you scared that you are one day going to lose them?

8.) How do you deal with the fact you have MS? Counseling Etc.

Thank you for answering.
The reason I have done this is I am sure that there are so many scared people who are in the process of getting diagnosed or have just been diagnosed and are scared and want to know how others cope with their disease, and to let others know that they're not alone!

If you could, can you please copy and paste my questions and write your answers underneath each of my questions.
Thanks a bunch
Sammy
XxXxXx
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
1.) How long have you had MS?  - I was diagnosed 15years ago, had symptoms for about 5 years before that.

2.) Has there been a period where you lost the use of your legs, and then got them back? If so, how long did you lose them for?  - No, I do struggle walking sometimes though - in fact most of the time.

3.) What is worse for you, depression about having MS or the physical symptoms it causes?  - the physical symptoms.

4.) How long did you have MS before you lost the use of your legs?  - Hopefully I never will

5.) Do you think they’re going to find a cure for MS in the next ten years? If not a cure, perhaps a medicine that completely reverses paralysis and other symptoms?  - I sure would like to think so!

6.) Living with MS, have you learnt to forget about it someday’s or is it something that is constantly on the back of your mind?  - I go long spells when I don't think about it.

7.) For those of you that still have the use of your legs, are you scared that you are one day going to lose them?  - I try not to worry about what might happen.

8.) How do you deal with the fact you have MS? Counseling Etc. - I suppose I am the sort of person that "just gets on with it". (I have been told more than once that I am a stubborn so and so!) My local MS centre offers free counselling and I would certainly take them up on it if I felt the need.

Helpful - 0
1.) How long have you had MS?  This is a difficult question to answer because I think I had it years before my diagnosis.  However, I was diagnosed in January 2008.  

2.) Has there been a period where you lost the use of your legs, and then got them back? If so, how long did you lose them for?   I never really lost everything in my legs; however, I was not able to walk well at one point because of the pain and probably spasicity and/or weakness.  I even needed help getting to the restroom.  I had a gradual decline with this that started a few years ago.  However, sometime around November or December of 2008 the pain started to gradually go away along with the part that made it difficult to walk and made my legs heavy.  So for me, it took probably over a year (after the point was really bad with my legs).  After treatment, it took about 9 months.

3.) What is worse for you, depression about having MS or the physical symptoms it causes?   I do get depressed, and when I do it's bad, but the physical symptoms have always been worse.

4.) How long did you have MS before you first lost the use of your legs?   This is almost impossible to answer because I can't pinpoint exactly when MS first started.  See #1 above.

5.) Do you think they’re going to find a cure for MS in the next ten years? If not a cure, perhaps a medicine that completely reverses paralysis and other symptoms?   I'm an optimist typically, but I don't think there will be a cure for MS within my lifetime.  I think that they will find some really good medicines for preventing the progression of MS, though.  

6.) Living with MS, have you learnt to forget about it someday’s or is it something that is constantly on the back of your mind?  I always know I have it because of the daily reminders of my injections, unfortunately.  Also, I am reminded by some of the symptoms I have.  I do go on with my life and don't wallow in the fact that I have it, though.  I will often forget about it during the day and try doing things that I shouldn't do.  

7.) For those of you that still have the use of your legs, are you scared that you are one day going to lose them?   I never worry about those kinds of things.  I try to be as happy as I can and try not to allow myself to think negatively.  Thinking about things I can't control like that is unproductive and an unpleasant person to be around.

8.) How do you deal with the fact you have MS? Counseling Etc. I have accepted the fact that I have MS.  I am actually at peace with it.  The time I needed counseling was when I was undiagnosed.  That period of time was the worst time of my life.  In fact, I was even suicidal with the thought of never having hope that there was a treatment for slowing down the progression of my illness or helping the pain.  I didn't cope very well with the symptoms and pain of MS before my diagnosis.  
Helpful - 0
1.) How long have you had MS? 2 years I have known about, diagnosed this April

2.) Has there been a period where you lost the use of your legs, and then got them back? If so, how long did you lose them for? No.

3.) What is worse for you, depression about having MS or the physical symptoms it causes? depression

4.) How long did you have MS before you first lost the use of your legs? Have not

5.) Do you think they’re going to find a cure for MS in the next ten years? If not a cure, perhaps a medicine that completely reverses paralysis and other symptoms? No because a book I do not think it will be that soon. I read by a leading researcher talked about how slow the research is. They have a disease in rats as a model but it is not MS because MS is to complicated to recreate. Every step takes many years.

6.) Living with MS, have you learnt to forget about it someday’s or is it something that is constantly on the back of your mind? I have not gotten to the forgetting stage.

7.) For those of you that still have the use of your legs, are you scared that you are one day going to lose them? Not scared because no one knows if I will lose use of my legs. I am grateful every time I walk for an hour or more.

8.) How do you deal with the fact you have MS? Counseling Etc. I have a great Psychiatrist and therapist. I would have given up if it were not for them. I can't afford the co pay for my therapist, but my Psychiatrist explained I can't afford not to go see the therapist. I exercise, eat well , and reach out to friends. I have good friends on the forum too.
Helpful - 0
Are you writing a research thesis on MS?  I would be very interested in reading it when you are done.

Julie
Helpful - 0
here goes...

1. I was diagnosed in 89. Was having symptoms as a child...
2.  Loss the use of my legs? Yes, once but it was taken care of with an infusion. How long? Three weeks...I still went to the gym..woohooo..too much honour and pride..
3. What is worse for you, depression about having MS or the physical symptoms it causes?  Hmm, neither. Sometimes I may get in a funk but my bride snaps me out of it pretty fast.
4. How long did you have MS before you first lost the use of your legs? 10 years after my original diagnosis.
5. Do you think they’re going to find a cure for MS in the next ten years? Nope, there is too much money to be made of the meds, plus if a healthcare package in the states passes then that is a resounding no. Your going to have folks who specialize in in neurological diseases as well as others be swept under the rug for GPs who know nothing....
6. Living with MS, have you learnt to forget about it someday’s or is it something that is constantly on the back of your mind? I forget about it all the time, but no one has helped him forget about me. Seriously though, yes I do and have. It depends on how I feel but there are days and weeks that it's totally at the back of my mind..
7. For those of you that still have the use of your legs, are you scared that you are one day going to lose them? Nah, been there and done that. I figure if it happens then so be it. I would rather be without the use of my legs as opposed to me eyes and ears...
8. How do you deal with the fact you have MS? Counseling Etc Not sure, I guess general all around attitude. I am the best counselor I have met for me...:It's amazing the triumph of the will one has when push comes to shove...
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
1.) How long have you had MS?

Officially I dont have a dx but i calculate from my mid 20's so around 20 years or so

Yes, starting 6 years ago i loose my legs once or twice a year, totally imobile for 2 -3 days steadily regaining control that is lasting around 3 weeks but 2009 with my current episode i have lost my legs so far for approx 9 weeks. I am now able to get more out of my legs before the spasticity makes mobility imposible again, so my fingers are crossed they will continue to improve.

I dont get depressed (funny i'm the only member of my family that doesn't) so with out a dx i cant say i've ever been depressed specifically about MS. The closest i've come to depression was about 3 years ago when i would burst into tears all the time, though i didn't feel down, upset or anything that warrented all the tears. Physical symptoms would have to be my worst then, but still i think people take life very very differently, the symptoms are just what i've got, not who i am!

With out the official dx it's all conjecture, approx 15 years

NO! I do think its intirely possible that medical intervention will improve but unless the method of diagnosis improves 1000 fold so that detection of MS is in its early stages, then i think a lot of the damage will continue on its destructive course so disability to a degree will continue to be inevitable. Medical intervention is masking symptoms too much as it is and to what benefit if the underlying cause is left on its destructive path for years and years.

MS has consumed my every thought for the last month, mainly because its the first time anyone has had answers for whats wrong with me, with only 15 -20% capacity its pretty hard not to be reminded that my brain is failing me, big time.

As i'm still trying to get them back, i'll respond with previous episodes in mind, NO i'm a positive person always living in the presant.

As i'm not dx i'll respond from the perspective of 1/2 a life time of weird and now escalated health issues. I have never thought i needed counseling for my health, it is what it is and having children with Asperger's there is always something more important to deal with, that tends to keep things in perspective. Even now i'm more concerned with how my family will cope, how to keep giving them what they need, finding solutions to every issue, when there is no one else there is no one else, so you just have to keep things in perspective and keep going. I do yoga, meditate and exercise my brain (I stay very very fit outside of an episode) does that count as 'dealing with'?

Cheers.....JJ
Helpful - 0
1.) How long have you had MS?     Last Friday I was diagnosed.

Not with the illness, but a bad football injury years ago. Was paraylzed for an hour or so with seizures.

Same. My vision in my left eye has me scared and depressed cause I'm afraid I won't be able to work, and I'm the only worker in the household.

Hasn't happened.........yet :(

5.) Do you think they’re going to find a cure for MS in the next ten years? If not a cure, perhaps a medicine that completely reverses paralysis and other symptoms?  Hope so, not sure about any of the medicines yet.

So far I think about it constantly cause I can barely see, and I think of my kids.

Only when I breath.

Keep it inside and go on like nothing is wrong.
Helpful - 0
Hehe, nope no research thesis. I'm just doing it to help others understand it a little more, let them know they're not alone, pretty much what i said above.
Sometimes it inpires people like myself when i read all these strong fantastic peoples stories, and makes me think that maybe life like that may be hard, but many beautiful people do it!
Sammy
xx

Ps sorry to let you down lol, no thesis...;)

PS it's sammy cung here, i have been having extreme problems with my sammy cung acc on here so i made this user name but i'm still having the same problems.
Helpful - 0
1.) How long have you had MS?
Diagnosed in January of this year, but had episodes for last 20 years, each about 10 years apart.

Yes, 10 years ago, fell over a cat and broke little toe. While healing and limping feet and legs went numb up to knees and legs felt like logs. It took 6 months to get it all back to normal. Just thought it was my low back being out from limping with broken toe. Happened again last summer with feet going numb and climbing up to waist. Still bad but getting better with muscle relaxants and targeted exercise.

3.) What is worse for you, depression about having MS or the physical symptoms it causes? Physical symptoms. I am an optimistic person and rarely get depressed. Disgusted, frustrated and angry but not depressed.

4.) How long did you have MS before you first lost the use of your legs? See above. Have not lost them, just cannot feel them very well, but they still work well if I keep in shape and make them work.

I don't think you will see one in the US since the "drugs" are so very profitable! However, take a close look at stem cell work being done in Israel, especially, and Costa Rica, China, Argentina and maybe Mexico. I think stem cell therapy to reboot the immune system and repair the myelin sheaths around the nerves is going to be an answer for us.

I never forget except when I am sleeping. MS is a journey every day to find relief both physically and mentally.

It's my third worst nightmare after losing using of hands and eyesight.

I research daily looking for answers to personally optimize my body and mind to deal with this affliction. I will not give in or give up until I am well or dead. Doing nothing and accepting it is like quitting a competition. I find its better to keep digging, keep learning, keep experimenting and by all means keep trying.
Helpful - 0
1.) How long have you had MS?  DX 9 years ago, but had sx 3 years before that

2.) Has there been a period where you lost the use of your legs, and then got them back? If so, how long did you lose them for?  Yes I lost the use of my legs in June after extreme stress after the death of my beloved Father. Very slowly they are improving

3.) What is worse for you, depression about having MS or the physical symptoms it causes?  Physical.  Depression was when I was first dx, but very depressed now b/c of my legs.

4.) How long did you have MS before you first lost the use of your legs? 9 years

5.) Do you think they’re going to find a cure for MS in the next ten years? If not a cure, perhaps a medicine that completely reverses paralysis and other symptoms?  Would be a good thought, but no not yet.  Unless they make good headway with stem cell therapy.

6.) Living with MS, have you learnt to forget about it someday’s or is it something that is constantly on the back of your mind?  At the moment it is always on my mind b/c of relapse.  I worry that they will never be the same again.  Another reason I stopped taking DMD was the constant reminder that I have MS - it was so depressing

7.) For those of you that still have the use of your legs, are you scared that you are one day going to lose them?  Yes that was of my serious frights about my losing my legs.  But hey ho:/

8.) How do you deal with the fact you have MS? Counseling Etc.  My attitude of putting your best foot forward every day.  My Husband and Son's keep me going.  My 6 year old needs his Mother not a wreck, and my eldest 28 is a no nonsense doctor

Yippee just completed my first cut copy and paste ;)))

Debs
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Multiple Sclerosis Community