A
A
A
Close
Multiple Sclerosis Community
9.17k Members
1323278 tn?1298126088

Best places to live with MS

I am curious:  What would be the best places to live with MS, and why?  I guess weather is the first issue.  I am from a very hot town, and I currently reside in a place that gets very hot summers and there is a high risk of hurricanes.  Another issue would be healthcare.  Family and friends are an absolute priority as well.  What places would you consider?  
50 Responses
1216899 tn?1288573925
Now that sounds like a loaded question, hehe. Remember, I don't have MS, but given what I know about it, I'd think you want a cooler climate. That being said, I am really curious if moving closer to the equator after getting MS would have any benefits.

I have to think about it, but this I can see that this could be a tricky question to try and come up with one single answer. I'm hoping someone else will chime in and give some advice.
559187 tn?1330786456
I would say the Washington DC metro area, but I'm a little prejudice since I live in the area. The good side would be the access to medical care and research being done on MS as well as the great opportunities to stay independent after disability sets in.  We have a good transportation system, disability programs, and networking with others going through similar health issues.  I am not so sure about the local MS Society though since my only experience with them has been really minimal.  

The down side of it is the horrible humidity for the months of June through August.  Oh well, I guess you can't have everything.  

That's my 2-cents worth.

Julie
559187 tn?1330786456
Forgot 2 more down sides...The expense of living here is high and the other is maybe you won't be close to family.  But family can come visit and they often love to as well as friends since there is so much to do here.  

J.
I live on Maui. I live on the rainy side of the island but then when I have to go to the store its hot and so my body goes nutz with the temp change daily.

1 Comments
Good thoughts on the temp change...
Oh yeah for Healthcare Hawaii is out!!! I am considering Georgia. Anyone from Georgia with advice about living there with MS?
147426 tn?1317269232
BIG vote for the Pacific Northwest!!  Very Temperate, mild winters, cool summers except for 6 weeks when it gets into the 90's sometimes, but most places have A/C.  Always cool at night.  Great breezes.  Great Healthcare west of the Cascades. (Basically talking Seattle and Portland).  I moved here from Nevada and it is lush and cool and wonderful.  House prices are decent.  I wouldn't live anywhere else.  (I have lived in Wichita,  Chicago, Yuma, So Cal, Boulder, Palo Alto, Reno, and here.)

Quix
1 Comments
Yay Washington and Oregon too.  Blessed be
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
987762 tn?1331031553
Australia
5265383 tn?1483811956
ON
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease