Both feet

I have had numbness & tingling in my right foot & toes since diagnosis in 09.

My left foot now has the numbness & tingling.

I thought that symptoms were suppose to be bilateral or am I wrong?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
COMMUNITY LEADER
Bilateral is actually uncommon in the early stages of MS eg first attack but over time with each new attack, depending on where the new lesions end up, sx's can then start happening on the other side, though never symmetrically. Keep in mind that there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to MS, unilateral sx's are more common but bilateral will still happen.

Cheers...........JJ
Helpful - 0
Well, she did not express that this was bilateral from the start.  
Sounds like 5 years in between the right side and left side symptoms, which can be very consistent with another attack/new lesions.  
"Disseminated in time".
Helpful - 0
It was not bilateral from the start, it has been the last couple of months that it has been on the left side.

I was thinking maybe new lesions. Going back to Neuro soon so I will probably get another MRI.

Every MRI I have more lesions so that is probably what it is.

Thanks for the replies
Helpful - 0
Hi!
that darn bilateral vs unilateral thing pops up again - I am the same way.  My leg numbness began in my right leg.   My left leg now has its own issues, which are different than the right leg ones.  If only there were a predictable pattern to how these sxs play out.  

The increase in lesions is discouraging - I hope if you are on a DMD and you and the neuro will discuss possibly changing it to a different one.  Its always good to see you here, but I have that you are having more problems.  

~Laura
Helpful - 0
In my original post that was suppose to say: I thought symptoms were not suppose to be bilateral.
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
lol i'm glad you pointed out the typo, i thought it probably was but with it never being a good idea to assume meaning or read between the lines, i thought it safer to give you the basic bilateral vs unilateral info and let you work out where you fit :D    

Thought.............do you have any spinal cord lesions?

Hugs.........JJ
Helpful - 0
Just for the record...My first relapse was characterized by bilateral foot numbness. It was also the last time I have had any bilateral symptoms.
Helpful - 0
Right now I just have a possible CIS, but my presenting symptom was numb feet on both sides, though left was greater than right (This climbed to waist but back to just feet again now). I have a lesion in my thoracic spine at the level of a disk herniation impressing on cord. Clear brain. Neurologist still had suspicions so ordered LP which was positive. Point being I'd ask for a spinal MRI along with the brain. Having MS doesn't make you immune to problems with disks and other causes either.
Helpful - 0
Yes supermum_ms, I have spinal lesions, brain lesions, spinal stenosis,

herniated  bulging disc, nerve impingement. Which makes feeling normal kinda tough
Helpful - 0
Hiya gypsie,

Your spine sounds like mine. I had a herniated disc that broke, making surgery to remove it unnecessary :-) I had spinal stenosis, which was alleviated via laminectomy.

Mechanical spine issues can be very hard to differentiate from MS issues. The symptoms can be the same. Are you looking into remedies for your mechanical issues?

Kyle
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Multiple Sclerosis Community