Brain MRI

I have diabetes. I recently took an MRI and the findings showed on the brain:

Findings: T2 FLAIR images demonstrate several small and punctate primarily subcortical white matter lesions bilaterally nonspecific in appearance. There is a normal flow void within the cavernous carotid arteries bilaterally

Considerations would include small vessel disease, chronic systemic illness, i.e., diabetes and chronic hypertension, migraines, vasculitis, post infectious/inflammatory illnesses, demyelinating disease, etc.

Could this mean I have MS. I am very scared please help!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
If you have diabetes, and diabetes is listed in the possible reasons for those findings, that is likely what they'll look at first.

Are you having symptoms of MS and this is why you've had an MRI? "Demyelinating disease" of which MS is one, is mentioned dead last on the long list of possibilities as stated by the radiologist on your report.

The doctor who ordered your MRI should be discussing the findings with you. But again, it seems the results are at least consistent with a condition you already know you have rather than a new one. But we're just patients here, so definitely discuss this with your medical team.
Helpful - 0
Hi John and welcome (?)!
I am not well qualified to answer your question but can you give us more information on your symptoms and why a brain MRI was ordered? There are many more members here more qualified to give you answers but I suspect they will need this information to do so.

I assume you read your report without your Dr? If so try your best to relax breathe and wait for your dr's appointment for his/her interpretation and recommendations. After all you do have one of the possible conditions associated with your findings. I think it's pretty safe to say most of us here have freaked at one point or another needlessly by either reading our report or viewing our own images without the doc. :) When do you see your Dr again to go over your results if this is the case?

I look forward to hearing back from you.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Multiple Sclerosis Community