Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Brain MRI

I have diabetes. I recently took an MRI and the findings showed on the brain:

Findings: T2 FLAIR images demonstrate several small and punctate primarily subcortical white matter lesions bilaterally nonspecific in appearance. There is a normal flow void within the cavernous carotid arteries bilaterally

Considerations would include small vessel disease, chronic systemic illness, i.e., diabetes and chronic hypertension, migraines, vasculitis, post infectious/inflammatory illnesses, demyelinating disease, etc.

Could this mean I have MS. I am very scared please help!
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
5112396 tn?1378017983
If you have diabetes, and diabetes is listed in the possible reasons for those findings, that is likely what they'll look at first.

Are you having symptoms of MS and this is why you've had an MRI? "Demyelinating disease" of which MS is one, is mentioned dead last on the long list of possibilities as stated by the radiologist on your report.

The doctor who ordered your MRI should be discussing the findings with you. But again, it seems the results are at least consistent with a condition you already know you have rather than a new one. But we're just patients here, so definitely discuss this with your medical team.
Helpful - 0
Hi John and welcome (?)!
I am not well qualified to answer your question but can you give us more information on your symptoms and why a brain MRI was ordered? There are many more members here more qualified to give you answers but I suspect they will need this information to do so.

I assume you read your report without your Dr? If so try your best to relax breathe and wait for your dr's appointment for his/her interpretation and recommendations. After all you do have one of the possible conditions associated with your findings. I think it's pretty safe to say most of us here have freaked at one point or another needlessly by either reading our report or viewing our own images without the doc. :) When do you see your Dr again to go over your results if this is the case?

I look forward to hearing back from you.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Multiple Sclerosis Community

Top Neurology Answerers
987762 tn?1331027953
Australia
5265383 tn?1483808356
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease