Multiple Sclerosis Community

Buzzing Painful legs.

Hi again Guy's,  I'm having a lot of trouble with my legs. They are extremely heavy. They feel like they are buzzing and especially my right shin gets a different sensation than my left. It's like i feel a numbness coming and going. This tightening really hurts. My ankles and knees especially get a piercing pain.

I have to rest them a lot to ease the discomfort, but any length of time standing, walking, kneeling. Just kills them. My legs are so uncomfortable. Is this a symptom one would experience in MS?  My legs are getting worse since all this began. Pain, odd sensations. buzzing. The pain is so bad i hold onto things for support because of weakness.

I sweat profusely at night, i wake with numb fingers.  I am really concerned. I'm due to have my vitamin B12 checked this week. My GP prescribed Cytagon tablets. I did also receive weekly injections for 6 weeks. My GP than said she wanted to try tablet form to see how they would work. I will yet again just talk to her about my symptoms like i have been now for two years.

I think this is MS. If it isn't than why haven't they found what it is, treated it instead of leaving me deteriorate? I cannot understand this, it's dumbfounding?

I'm waiting as you know for clarification on questions which i think if answered will shed light. I know you guy's think perhaps not, but something is causing my symptomsand I'm really concerned it's MS, even though everyone else thinks it's not.

Hugs
Marian

COMMUNITY LEADER
I was hoping someone else would have some thoughts, i found it hard to follow your description of what was going on, you seem to have everything but the kitchen sink :D happening to your poor legs but i'm not sure why you're only thinking it's MS.....heavy, buzzing, numbness, tightness, piercing pain in ankles and knees, odd sensations etc are not actually specific to neurological conditions like MS, and because you already know you have multi level disc and cord compression which can cause bilateral lower limb issues, it just makes sense to me that it's probably more peripheral nerve related than central....  

Hope that helps......JJ
Hi supermum_ms

Sorry you found it hard to follow my description.  No I have heavy legs a long time, which is worsening. They just give up, if I'm walking, standing. They get extremely uncomfortable with tightness and pain. My right shin goes numb on and off. Yet surgery was cancelled, for decompression of the spine. All the neurologists seem to think it's minimal compression?

My symptoms are double vision, balance problems, woozy feeling, heavy legs that are recently worsening with tightness and pain. The double and blurring vision and balance problems are concerning. If I'm banging into things regularly and not able to balance properly i don't think that's to do with my spine. I'm sure surgery would have gone ahead if it were and could be relieved by surgery.

The heaviness in my legs and urinary urgency could be relieved by surgery, but my double vision and balance wouldn't be helped. So yes i have many symptoms, but the double vision and balance problems are neurological.

Symptoms listed for MS are double vision, loss of balance, pain, exhaustion, bowel and bladder issues, numbness and tingling, concentration and memory problems. Yes i have a laundry of symptoms as you put it. I would call them Multiple Symptoms.

I can't say as sure as you can supermum_ms that i don't have MS. I wish i could. Not everyone who has MS has the same symptoms which is why it's so difficult to diagnose. It's complex. They have ruled out a lot in my case which makes it look even more like MS.

I will keep you posted. Thanks for your thoughts.

Marian
COMMUNITY LEADER
I haven't actually 'ever' said that you don't have MS.....the problem you have is that the 'symptoms' you've mentioned in your posts and believe are MS, are actually associated with many medical issues and most are associated with the overlapping medical conditions that you already know about but you haven't as yet mentioned any specific neurologically abnormal 'clinical signs' more suggestive of a neurological causation for example:

Bladder symptoms - urodynamic tests dx neurogenic bladder dysfunction (flaccid or spastic),
Double vision - saw ophthalmologist dx bilateral Internuclear ophthalmoplegia (INO) which is a disorder of conjugate lateral gaze or dx horizontal Nystagmus  
ETC

With your current situation being as it is, i would recommend you get tests for the more MS suggestive types of symptoms ie visual, bladder, vertigo vs dizziness etc because you need some neurologically abnormal clinical signs for MS to be on your list and if the symptoms you have are not neurologic it might really help pin down what's going on...

Hope that helps........JJ  
Hi JJ,

My VEP results were ok, the first neurologist said. I can't balance properly, I stumble a lot. I'm very out of kilter. This awful awkwardness is very frustrating because the automatic control of movement seems to have gone wrong.

A couple of months back i made an appointment to see a chiropractor who specializes in functional neurology. He found many things wrong. He said they could be fixed, but the therapy would be very intense, and by the end of therapy I should have a clearer picture of what symptoms are from loss of function of essential reflex activity, what is from psychological influences, and what is possibly from the sclerosis/Plagues that are seen on the Mri.

He is not offering a cure, and the therapy is very costly. I put it on hold until i know more, and have enough funding to pay. It would be a long rehabilitation therapy.

This is what he found on his examination. He is a chiropractor, but gives therapy to people who have suffered brain injury, stroke as well as other neurological disorders.

His findings last December.

My left eye is not teaming up and lining up with my right eye- this is causing double vision.

Because my eye is not pointing in the correct direction this is causing a change to my inner ear/vestibular system, called the vestibular ocular reflex, so my balance is affected.

To get rid of my double vision i turn my head to the right and tuck my chin down. This altered posture of the head and neck cause a lot of head and neck symptoms.

When i close my eyes i fall forwards to the right. This is a vestibular issue.
My cerebellum has been trying to compensate for these errors and has created changes to the reflex activities that control eye motion and targeting, balance reflexes and posture, arm trunk and leg coordination are all affected.

My brain health intake questionnaire strongly suggests that there is some inflammation going on which needs to be reduced, this contributes to the brain fog.

The change in function of the Mesencephalon where the ( eye muscles nerves are controlled) especially the Ventral Tegmental area, affects your serotonin output this effects mood and it changes the way my hypothalamus works, so sleep, thirst, hunger, and glands like the pituitary, and thyroid/parathyroid, adrenal, gonads etc... are affected.

Because I have double vision, my RHS cortex is inhibiting the RHS optical lobe. ( It is easier to process the one image) but the neurotransmitters are not selective of which region in the brain and as a consequence the whole RHS cortex is under active, especially the frontal lobes and this has a big influence on my ability to control impulse and bladder function, plan goals and follow through with things. It allows escape of my limbic system so my emotions are all over the place or deadpan flat with no emotion.

That's it JJ, Rehab would be needed to correct each one. He cannot guarantee a cure.

What do you make of these findings JJ?

Marian
COMMUNITY LEADER
"Functional neurology" is not actually based on any accepted scientific field, and i find it very alarming that any type of 'chiropractor' would diagnose you with vestibular dysfunction and offer an expensive treatment plan, when you've already seen 4 neurologist who you've never mentioned have diagnose you with vestibular dysfunction!  

Chiropractors who practice 'functional neurology' are not the type of medical practitioner I personally would ever recommend to anyone, i've got too many expensive stories in my head of desperate parents trusting their childs chiropractor will cure and or improve their child of Autism, ADHD, Dyslexia, Epilepsy, Tourette's etc etc etc I'm a firm believer that brain plasticity plays a vital role but 'functional neurology' is no better than quackery in the scientific world...

If you seriously believe this chiropractor legitimately found you to have vestibular dysfunction, i would recommend you consider making an appointment with a more reliable specialist to diagnose and treat vestibular dysfunctions eg an Otolaryngologist (also known as an ENT, or ear, nose, and throat doctor), Otologists/Neurotologists are otolaryngologists who have additional training.

The most commonly diagnosed vestibular disorders is Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (or BPPV) is the most common cause of vertigo, a false sensation of spinning.....

Benign – it is not life-threatening
Paroxysmal – it comes in sudden, brief spells
Positional – it gets triggered by certain head positions or movements
Vertigo – a false sense of rotational movement

....and it is a dysfunction of the inner ear see linc for a reliable understanding and the various treatment options of vestibular dysfunctions http://vestibular.org/understanding-vestibular-disorders/types-vestibular-disorders/benign-paroxysmal-positional-vertigo

If the only visual testing you've had is a VEP and it was normal, you would probably benefit from further visual investigation by an ophthalmologist who will determine if the diplopia is neurological in nature or not...

Hope that helps......JJ
Hi JJ,
I haven't had therapy. But he did sound as though he had sympathy towards me. You know he was not pushing me to have therapy, and even had a conversation on the telephone with my GP.

Something is wrong and I've been to 4 neurologists, my ENT surgeon, an eye specialist in London, spinal surgeon.The names you gave for ENT, and Eye specialists JJ in your post I've seen.

I just thought i would mention i had gone to see a functional neurologist. Apparently neurologists have sent patients to this guy for therapy. I went myself without a referral.

He did look at my MRI's. Sclerosis/Plagues, he referred to. He did study neurology to a certain extent. He gained a double Major in Bachelor of Science in physiology and psychology.

Anyway I'm not in therapy. I hope soon things will become clearer.

Thanks for your thoughts JJ.

Hugs
Marian
Chiropractic is a pseudoscience and this person sounds like a straight up charlatan. Save your money. He sounds dangerous.
Thanks for your thoughts.  I think he is genuine. He is well respected by specialists and GP'S. Patients are referred to him by neurologists for rehabilitation.

Marian
I would have zero problem leaving a medical professional who referred me to a chiropractor. That's like a financial advisor recommending a loan shark. Physiotherapists receive science-based training in rehabilitation and would be the appropriate referral in that case.
I can only echo-----Stay away from that chiropractor! He has no business delving into your vestibular system, your eyes, your brain, and most of the other places you mention. This will only cost you money and will not solve anything. It could well do you harm. That guy is not a neurologist. What you  need are properly trained specialists in the fields JJ mentions.
Thanks for your thoughts. I am not in therapy. I just thought i would mention his findings. So many opinions from different specialists, it's utterly confusing and frustrating.

Hopefully things will become clearer soon.

Marian