Multiple Sclerosis Community

Deficient in Protein and Calcium related to meds?

Hey all!  Hope everyone is feeling well on the first Monday after the holidays!  I had a good day yesterday of doing absolutely NOTHING!  It was a nice break to just laze on the couch and watch a few movies!

Anyway, I have a question about protein and calcium deficiency.  I asked my gp why I have these horizontal bumps and grooves on my fingernails.  She did a blood test and it seems that I am deficient in Protein and Calcium.  While I am not on any DMD, I am on Tegretol, Elavil, Citalopram for my MS symptoms.  I am on Spireva, Symbicort, Singulair and Ventolin for my COPD and Asthma and Prevacid and Lipitor for GERD and high cholesterol.  I also take Amitriptyline for fatigue related to MS.  Has anyone else had trouble with protein or calcium deficiency that has been proven related to any meds?  I can't say that I have a perfect diet and as I told my hubby that perhaps if I started drinking again it would help with the calcium deficiency...I always drank Kahlua and Milk (calcium in the milk) he he.  

I am probably grasping at straws here but I can't say that I have ever heard of someone being protein deficient before.  Has any one here had this problem?

Lots of Hugs,
Rena705
Mmmm Kahlu n milk :)

Yes - definitely can reduce calcium and others. Kidney calcium is a whole nother animal though. So, drinking that milk may not make a lick of difference if it's kidney calcium.

Are you on any bp meds?  I only know this because I was on Htcz (not for bp but for the side affects) to reduce kidney calcium because I'm a kidney stones grower, lol

Can you ask specifically what calcium it was?
-shell

Drugs that affect protein are acid blockers (eg: prevacid, nexium) and steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (eg: prednisone).

"Stomach acid plays a key role in the digestion of protein, carbohydrates and fat. When food is eaten, the secretion of stomach acid (HCL) triggers the production of pepsin. Pepsin is the enzyme required to digest protein"

"As acid declines and the pH of the stomach increases, absorption of nutrients becomes impaired. Decades of research have confirmed that low stomach acid – whether it occurs on its own or as a result of using antacid drugs – reduces absorption of several key nutrients such as iron, B12, folate, calcium and zinc."

A great 4 part article highly recommended to read - "How your antacid drug is making you sick" by Chris Kresser.

Other causes of protein deficiency includes malnutrition, a vegetarian diet not containing enough protein, and protein losing enteropathy conditions (an abnormal loss of protein from the digestive tract or the inability of the digestive tract to absorb proteins) such as bacteria or parasite infection of the intestines, Celiac disease, and Crohn's disease.

To add, vitamin D is essential for the absorption and utilisation of calcium. All the major minerals (calcium, potassium, sodium) are also dependent on magnesium being present in order to function.  Statins are a listed cause of vitamin D deficiency as cholesterol is the precusor to vitamin D production.

Ha it's only two parts to that article. :)
Rena Girl,

Sorry, meant hctz - side affect can be reduced kidney calcium.

Red - perhaps you can site your source?
Yes Shell...mmmmm...Kahlua and Milk...mmmm!  he he  Had 3 on Chrismas Eve and 3 on New Year's Eve...that is the extent of my drinking for 2011.  Look out 2012!  ha ha ha
I am not sure what sort of calcium it is Shell but I do have to see the dietician in two weeks.  I would imagine if it was kidney calcium she would have said so but with my gp...who knows right? he he  I am not on any BP meds so I don't think that is the problem.  I will find out in two weeks I guess and will let you know!  Thanks honey!

Red_Star...I don't believe we have met but nice to meet you!  Well being that I am on Prevacid and steroid inhalers for COPD and Asthma I guess that would explain some the of problem won't it!?  Being that my vitamin D level is low due to MS as well would explain the calcium deficiency I guess.  I guess I will try to increase my vitamin D.  I have to admit that my diet isn't what one would probably call healthy but I think perhaps I need a whole new lifestyle and I can't seem to get out of the funk I am in.  I will be seeing my "hot" Italian neuro next week so I am going to ask him about the meds I am on and if any changes can be made.  With all the medications that I am on I suffer from a really dry mouth and have lost 3 teeth due to this side effect.  Now if I am having low protein and calcium it seems to me that perhaps some changes should be made.  I will let you know what the results are of the two appointments I have in the next few weeks.  

I sure appreciate everyone's input on this subject and I am relieved that I have something to go on and it expands the list of questions I have for my dietician and neurologist.  You people are AWESOME!!!

Hugs,
Rena
Unless your diet is so bad it is causing malnutrition the most likely cause of low protein in your blood is poor absorption of nutrients or kidney or liver problems.  Primary doctors usually do regular checks for liver function when you take statin drugs (like Lipitor) to control cholesterol.

Previcid could be decreasing nutrient absorption.  That is also what happens in celiac disease - or if you are gluten intolerant.

Your blood calcium could be low just because your protein level is low.  You would need a specific type of blood calcium test to know for sure.  At any rate, one doc or another should repeat this bloodwork to see if the levels are still low.  If they are, additional tests should be done to pinpoint the problem.

Please do get one of the docs to check on those medications too.  Amitriptyline is the generic name for Elavil.  If you are really taking this under both names you are double dipping and may be taking a higher dose than anyone realizes.  In combination with the Citalopram you are taking multiple anti-depressants (even if none of them are actually prescribed to treat depression).

Is it possible you are actually prescribed Amantadine for your MS fatigue?

I personally wouldn't start making changes in your diet or supplements until a doctor helps you figure out what's going on.  Anything you take now could influence future blood test results and make it more difficult to figure out what's going on.

Here's hoping you get good answers soon.  It's very hard to keep the body in balance once we start taking a variety of medicines to treat multiple health problems.
Mary
I was interested reading all these posts which were very informative. I have a further question to chip in and that is...If you are vitamin D deficient (as many of us are) are you likely to be calcium deficient also and shd you take calcium as well as magnesium if taking a vitamin D supplement?

Sarah