Multiple Sclerosis Community

Diaphragm spasms

I have a question for anyone that has suffered from those awful diaphragm spasms. Once the episode was over (hopefully it ended eventually!), did you experience any delayed onset muscle soreness?

I'm trying to figure out if this is in fact what I was experiencing, but with only soreness in my ribs the next day, I'm a bit skeptical. One would think that with the diaphragm being a muscle, that powerful of a sustained contraction would result in muscle soreness the next day.
I do remember being achey.

when you say diaphragm spasm do you mean like hiccups?
i was having pain on my sides but i think it was more in my rib cage  really close to my diaphragm my diaphragm was more than likely involved too.
I have I think diaphragm spasms. They last for a couple of hours. They come in waves. The Neurologist says they are Myoclonic spasms. They are caused in me by damage to my brain stem. I not only have muscle soreness for days or weeks but if I do not take something to stop them I tear connective tissue. There is a trigger. I am not sure what it is as of yet. It seems to be exertion. They come on a few hours later.

I have pills I keep on me 24 hrs a day. An ice pack seems to help. I also sweat profusely due to pain. I lay on the floor with my hands over my head as still as I can until the meds kick in. Basically the meds knock me out. and I sleep. I am exhausted the next day.

I have asthma and it is not an asthma attack. It often starts with hiccups. The doctors told me it was panic attacks. I called three doctors while having them and they decided hearing me on the phone it was not panic attacks. Besides usually I am in a good mood when they start.

It may also be my esophegus? which can be in the same area. No one knows. I do not have the money to call an ambulance which is a block away or go to a ER. By the time I was seen it would probably be over anyway and they would just send me to my regular Neurologist.

I had a heart work up the first time. That is how they found the torn connective tissue. I guess a pulmonologist could do testing but I can't afford that.

I have at least one or two a month. Luckily I have never had one when I am out. That is my biggest fear. I can't drive and I would have to just lie down in the ground where ever and get someone to drive me home when it was over with out freaking out and calling and ambulance.

I am worn out the next day.

Alex
It sounds very close to the same experience. Mine are in the center, just below the base of the sternum and two the three inches below that, where the most intense pain occurs. It radiates through to my back and across the back of the lower ribcage. This last round I think involved the muscles down the center of my abdomen and maybe down the sides of my spine. It was too painful in the center to really tell.

I was sweating, in so much pain I couldn't stand, and could only speak inbetween panting breaths. My biggest fear is having one hit in public as well.

They came on at the peak of the flu bug I had at the time. The first wave lasted a solid 20 minutes, then faded a little, then came on another 15, then the baclofen kicked in and mellowed them out enough that I wasn't sweating anymore. I fell right to sleep after they were over.

I was already wiped out from the flu bug, so can't say if they added to that or not. It scared the crap out of my husband. He wanted to call an ambulance, but I told him it would go away.

I'm with you, by the time you get somewhere, they'd be over. I don't need another visit to the ER making me look like a drug-seeking neurotic. :-( I'd prefer to stay away from the white coats. Besides, what would they be able to do for it anyway? I have pain meds at home. Oftentimes, there is no point in taking them because it settles down before they kick in.

I still don't know what this is. I've noticed the last couple of days it seems that gas and constipation moving through that area were triggering another spasm. But once things moved along, it went away. Which is making me wonder if it is more of an internal organ spasm of sorts.

Torn connective tissue? Ouch! On the ribs?
I was sent to a pulmonolgist  due to the breathing problem with it.  My neuro takes no chances if there is a possibility it is caused by something besides the MS. Both agreed it was the lesion on my brain stem.  I take the same meds someone with COPD takes.   It helps with the spasms.  I also take Xanax as needed because I always panic which makes the breathing issue worse.
My body acts like it has/had a brainstem lesion. But the MRI disproved that theory. I even had a bout of bradypnea back in March where my respiratory rate dropped into the 6 to 9 per minute range. It caused sleep apnea, among a few other things. Six months later, my breathing rate is once again in the normal range. But nobody believes me this happened because those monitors they put on you in the ER are liars and not very accurate. My blood CO2 was elevated too. But because my O2 sat was fine, I was malingering.
I can't say my ribs are involved. With my training in Opera and Veterinary medicine. It really seems like my diaphragm but who know.What ever it is it has been going on for almost a year, All my Neurologist says it is Myoclonus and very painful.

If I take asthma medicine when one of mine starts it makes it worse. Baclofen, oxycodine, and migraine medicines can trigger this in me so I have cut them out of medicines I take.

I have a pulse ox an automatic blood pressure cuff. I take my vitals and call my PCP. She says if I ever have one during buisiness hours to come in.

I read the best position if it is the diaphragm is with your arms straight over your head. Or if some one is with you sitting up with them holding your arms straight up. I am mostly screaming please just let me die so people do not like getting to close not even my husband. lol. No I can take a lot of pain but I do wish this would just kill me one day. Once or twice a month is too painful for me.

I am have trained Polly to lie beside me if I have one in public. I have a phone tree in my cell of those who might be able to come get me since it takes several disolvable Xanax to help me relax so I can't drive. I just pray no one ever calls 911. I keep pills in a necklace.

I am out in public less and less so this has not come up.

I wish I could go to a pulmonanologist. gastrointerologist, urgent Care, etc. but I can't so I make do.

I am glad I got my heart worked up. The heart doctor at Duke said I had one of the healthiest hearts ever.

Alex