A
A
A
Close
Multiple Sclerosis Community
9.17k Members
4848471 tn?1372242352

Differentiating MS numbness from spinal stenosis and disc issues

Ok, so here's my problem. I cracked my neck back in '07 REALLY hard and the next day I couldn't move my left arm. I eventually got the usage of my arm back, but I retained some very mild "dead man's hand" numbness in both hands. I think I also had the numbness in my right hand although I could use it.
About two years after that I had numbness in the bottom of my feet of the same type. I can still "feel" my feet but it's that dead man's hand feeling.
I just assumed it was the hereditary spinal stenosis and disc problems in my family.
I was recently diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. In my last attack, my stomach, patches on my back and legs were vaguely numb. However, my cervical MRI also turned up quite a bit of other neck problems, which included a mild spinal stenosis and several bulging discs. Does anyone know about both conditions and how do I tell which is from which?
By the way, steroids totally got rid of my recent attack numbness.MS hug remains, however.
5 Responses
4848471 tn?1372242352
Maybe I should also add that I also have an extra lumbar vertebrae and tons of problems with my hip joints. The xray person said it looks like sharp, jagged spikes of bone in my hip bones..My entire skeleton is just kinda whacked.
i'd be interested in the replies. i have ms and cervical issues and have requested surgery. one surgeon says its a go and he can help with minimal laser surgery and one(va) say no way due to ms. that is he thinks the risks aren't worth it with ms.

the symptoms suck and quality of life degraded.
1831849 tn?1383231992
I have had lumbar spinal stenosis, a hip replacement and have MS, the Trifecta!

I'm not sure you can tell, except by process of elimination. I had a laminectomy to remedy the stenosis and a hip replacement to correct 80% bone on bone osteoarthritis. I guess anything that's left over I can blame on MS :-)

Kyle
667078 tn?1316004535
My Neurologist can tell what is MS and what is caused by my disks. He can tell by a simple Neurological exam. I was wondering if I had Neuropathy from my chemo or it was MS. He said I did not have periferal neuropathy which would be chemo but that it came from MS. He took a tuning fork and placed on both hands and feet. He said my neuropathjy came from spinal lesions because I could feel the tuning fork on my hands and feet.

Alex
hi,

did the laminectomy help?
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
987762 tn?1331031553
Australia
5265383 tn?1483811956
ON
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease