Multiple Sclerosis Community

Dr. House and reality

Anyone ever notice how *wrong* this show is about neurological problems?

They do loads of MRIs, with 3 doctors sitting there evaluating each slice as it's done.. As if that ever happens! They do LPs to rule out MS. Wrong.

In fact, MS is mentioned a lot and is even diagnosed, always to be retracted by the end of the show. Last night's rerun included an MS diagnosis at one point, so House ordered the patient to be started on 'a double dose of interferon.' Yeah, right. And then in what must have been intended as only a few hours later, they say the patient is responding (favorably) to the med. Wouldn't that be nice?

I have to wonder how many errors there are that I'm totally ignorant of, in other specialties.  Not that I take it seriously, but it would be nice if they adhered a bit more to reality. There's enough drama just with that.

ess
Yes, I noticed that too.   Weird since they must have medical consultants on staff.  I wonder what other diseases they also get wrong?
yeh I like the show for the show... but don't really get alot of the med stuff... I also watch "Mystery Dxs" ... that's more of a reality show..heheheh... takes Dr awhile to find the Dx..

take care
wobbly
dx
I noticed the double interferon too.

"ER" used to kill me. I worked an ER, well it was animal but we were state of the art. When animal crashed, you use drugs to get the heart going. Rarely do you use electricity. Everyone got the paddles on TV.

What about most TV is real.

I liked Hopkins that was a good show. I just assumed all donated organs were usable. Often the transplant team finds the organs are not. Then they have to tell the person waiting for an organ at the last minute they are not getting it. That must be so heartbreaking.

Alex

The mistakes is these shows leed to alot of misconceptions that we, as patients, must deal with.  Oh well, at leist it brought some attention to our disease.....
That is my favorite show ever!!! I also see them mention MS alot and laugh but i dont really mind it i just love the show  great drama!! Got all the series! lol( i mean its a non reality t.v. show  what really can you expect?)
If we're going to start pointing fingers, all three of the CSI shows are so wrong, it's ridiculous.  Who has beautiful people like this working in their lab?  Even sillier - how do they have time to do all the tests they're supposed to do?  And DNA tests are not done at the regular lab - they send them off, and the results come back three days later.  If they're lucky.  And don't get me started about the 'enhancement' of a video image.  Grrr....  And the so-called computer programs that they have?  Looks like the future to me.

But I don't worry about accuracy - I'm watching the show for entertainment value, not for education.  If they were more accurate, it would be quite boring.
Seriously, white pant suits and 4" sandals at worn at crime scenes that inevitably involve lots of blood, guts, and/or swamps?   Even for glamorous and gorgeous Miami it is a bit of a stretch.  :)
Yes, House takes liberties with ALL of their dx. Don't get me wrong, I love his sarcastic humor and wish I could have used it at times when dealing with difficult patients but the writers of this show are really off when it comes to the medical end of it.

First , who trained all of these residents or Fellows or whatever they are called, to do every job in the hospital? Like you mentioned, 3 docs watching every slice of the MRI. Or could we have a little more assualt and battery when House stabs a patient in the leg with a syringe of the "miracle drug" for that episode. Where is the informed consent?

To db: Cutty the Chief of Medicine who decides all of House's moves, wears the same 4 inch heels and has enough cleavage showing to model for Hugh Hefner. Most Medical Directors I've seen are old, balding and grumpy ;-)

They take a lot of liberties or dramatic license with their storylines...but I still watch. In fact, one of my bosses asked me why I didn't have flames on my cane like House.

My favorite reality show, medical wise, is Dr. G Medical Examiner. This woman is the coroner in Orlando , FL and she discusses why and how people die and what lead up to their demise. Kinda gory to some but at least I know it's real.
Love your comment/observation about House.  I am a family doctor with MS and am preparing a lecture on general medicine and management of MS (mainly in terms of diagnosis and working with neurologist on appropriate treatment).  What I am looking for are short clips from House that display these fleeting diagnoses of MS that seem to come up in every other episode and are discarded every time.  I don't know if anyone knows how that can be done, but I do appreciate input.  

By the way, I and other doctors generally agree that the most realistic medical program on TV is Scrubs.  (Really!)
Yep the medical "drama" style shows here in the UK are just as Bad.The recent episode of casultly a patient comes in about something trival and goes out 4 hours later Dx with MS! another one the consultant is pushing a patient in a wheel chair to have a CT scan- I'd like to see that in real life.

I teach ballet and quite often watch a film about a so called dancer and I find myself cringing both at the story line and the dancer technical ability.

We have to remember it's only pretend. Huh!
Hi, Michdoc. A coincidence that I'm reading this soon after your post.

House has been on since '04, so that's a lot of shows to go through. However, I see that Fox has a website that includes episode recaps--

http://www.fox.com/house/recaps/season-6/episode-22.htm

You could try that for some examples.

Meanwhile, I hope you will join us here often! The comments of an MD with MS would be invaluable. We do have one already, Quixotic1, who used to practice pediatrics before health issues caused her retirement. She takes an active interest in MS research and treatment, and is the author of most of our wonderful Health Pages (yellow icon in upper right).

Please take a look, and welcome!

ess
Ess,

I've never watched that show (never turn on the TV - no time) but it sounds like one thing that show does do well is reflect the current reality of sloppy, inaccurate, and even falsified neurologic inquiry that many of us have experienced in our quest for a diagnosis.  Again, I urge all of you seeking diagnosis to always get copies of what your neuro is writing about you and your neuro exams - it's amazing how neuros can turn positive neurologic findings into totally negative exam summaries that will stay in your medical record forever!!

WAF