I am in my early 30's, and I have had about 4-5 episodes lasting about a week or two in the last couple of years, with some of the symptoms lasting beyond that for several months. Several years ago, I had a regular doctor when I first started having periods of fatigue and weakness, Dr mentioned possibly doing some testing for autoimmune diseases in the future, but I moved after that and that was it. Then about 2 years ago, I went to urgent care because I was so weak, I felt like something was very wrong; I had bloodwork done, other than protein & ketones in urine and being somewhat anemic, everything came back normal. Sedimentation rate was also right on the border, but Dr said it was fine. Basically I was told to rest, eat healthy (I already do), and Dr suggested anti-depressants (which I didn't take up on, as I felt that had nothing to do with my symptoms).
I just experienced another episode a few weeks ago, and am going to see a new doctor/neurologist this next week. How do I start the conversation? I don't want to seem like I'm diagnosing myself, but I also don't want my concerns to be dismissed.
These are the symptoms I've had during my episodes:
• Fatigue – most common, lasts for several days/weeks, sometimes a few months at a time. Tired when waking up, feeling like I need more sleep, no energy or runs out very quickly. Extremely fatigued by end of day
• Dizziness, shakiness, weakness – just a general feeling of “unstableness”. Hands shake when reaching for things, weakness in arms, legs, spinning feeling in head.
• Mood – emotional exhaustion, irritability. No desire to do things I normally really enjoy/look forward to. Anxiety/panic about things I normally don’t worry about.
• Pain –Occasionally feel pain in wrists, elbows, ankles, hips, neck. Wake up feeling sore, especially neck, back, shoulders. Sometimes have jabs of pain that last for a few min, then go away. Can come and go repeatedly throughout day.
• Poor appetite, weight loss – nausea, weight loss. Usually lasts beyond the other symptoms. Also changes in taste sometimes (metallic taste or just tastes differently than normal)
• Memory – have a hard time figuring out simple things, like names of very familiar people, what happened recently (this morning, yesterday, etc), what day it is. Not necessary don’t remember at all, just a feeling of confusion, and have to figure things out one small step at a time.
• Vision – blurry, sometimes see two of things (usually things that are further away). Hard to see at night, things just blur together (especially when driving). Eye twitching that lasts for hours at a time. “floaties” in eyes.
• Headaches – more frequent than usual
• Skin issues – red, blotchy skin on face, neck. Rash on legs, comes and goes.
o feeling very weak when it’s warm (hot shower, warm car, etc)
o shortness of breath – feeling like I can’t take a full breath, lasts for a few minutes or hours, sometimes days
o random tingling on face, especially around mouth
o heart speeds up and beats very quickly for a few min (when resting, or just doing normal non-vigorous activities)
o feeling like my tongue is getting twisted, not being able to say a word properly
o mis-typing words on keyboard
I know it's a lot of different things, and not all of them might be related, but just wanted to give a complete picture.