Aa
A
A
A
Close
Multiple Sclerosis Community
9.23k Members

I am wondering if I have MS?

On December 31st, I went for a routine brain MRI to rule out anything that my neurologist may not have picked up during a neurological exam  to which I went to him thinking I had a concussion. Three weeks later, I am asked to come into his office because he saw two small spots (lesions) which he said was conducive to patients he sees with MS.  At that time, I had absolutely no symptoms whatsoever that was related to MS.  He then concluded that I had what he called radiological isolated syndrome, which meant, as he said, the picture he was seeing didn't match the lack of symptoms I was not having.  It was at that point he sent me for an OCT and a Field Vision Test, another brain MRI with contrast and a cervical and a thoracic MRI with and without contrast.  I had all three done as soon as possible, fearing the worst.  As much as my doctor told me that I should not walk out of his office thinking I have MS, it was very hard not to, especially since I dwell on everything and I am my own worst enemy.  I started to believe immediately after that every ache and pain I felt was associated with MS!   Within a week, I lost 10 pounds!  I called for the results today, February 5th.  The PA immediately called me back and read the noted that my doctor left on my scans.  She said that my thoracic and cervical MRIs were normal (no lesions).  He saw a small spot on my thoracic MRI, but he noted that it was non-active and no-specific.  The brain MRI with contrast came back unchanged and unenhanced.  The Visual Field test came back normal.  The only abnormality that was seen was with the optic nerve test.  That showed a thinning of the optic nerve, which was worse in the left eye.  The PA asked if I had any changes in my vision such as blurred vision or spots n front of my eyes or gray vision or vision loss in one eye and I had none of that.  The only things I can attest to having are wearing reading glasses more often (I am going to be 50 and I am a professor, so I read a lot and am on the computer often) and not being able to read well in dim lighting.  I do not have any classic symptoms of MS...I am not extremely fatigued, though my legs may feel a bit heavy at time, especially my thigh area, it is nowhere near feeling like I can't pick my leg up or feeling like it's dragging.  There is no numbness or tingling in my toes and no weakness on any particular side of my body.  My question to all of you, if you could help me at all with this, is could this still be signs of MS?  I am most concerned, believe it or not, with losing my vision, which, from what I read, rarely happens, but at this point, I feel like I am in limbo and I have no idea what to think any longer.  If I can get some answers either way, at least I will know what to prepare for and go into the follow up with my doctor with more knowledge and better questions.  Thank you all so much for taking the time to read this.  I truly appreciate your time.
2 Responses
5112396 tn?1378017983
RIS (radiological isolated syndrome) and CIS (clinically isolated syndrome) are things that MAY lead to an eventual MS diagnosis, but may not. At this point, it's often a case of being monitored over time. Not a very satisfying answer, but an honest one.

My CIS converted to diagnostically certain MS in a matter of weeks. For some people, it could take years, for others turns out it was never MS and was simply an isolated incident. Basically, at this point, you have no data to state which way your RIS will go. It may go nowhere. It is possible to have benign lesions that are idiopathic.

It sounds like your medical team is being proactive in how they are following up with your MRI findings, but it may be a case of the waiting game. I would ask your doctor what the proposed long/medium term course of action is given your collection of results.
Thank you so much for your response.  I truly appreciate any information I can obtain.
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
987762 tn?1331027953
Australia
5265383 tn?1483808356
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease