Multiple Sclerosis Community

Is depression contagious?

I ask because it sure seems to be spreading around here.  There seem to be an unusually large number of forum members struggling this week.  

Here's my suggestion for a quick pick me up.........  sing a song, any song will do, but sing it with your full lung power.  Singing releases all sorts of happy endorphines in your body.  

Go on and give it a try - you know you want to. And humming doesn't count .....LOL

Anyone else have other suggestions for shaking these winter blues that seem to have descended in full force?

Let us know what song you pick! I'm singing Wonko's favorite - High Hopes.

Lulu
After having to deal with depression this last fall, I have come to a few conclusions.  First of all, we all are bound to feel down after the holiday season and those of us living in the part of the world that sees winter...well I think we are dumped on doubly that way.  

We spent the weeks leading up to Christmas being busy and having something to look forward to and once it's over....well; it's over and we tend to get stuck in a slump.  

Besides that, a lot of us have depression as a symptom of our illness (MS) and it's something that can't always be just brushed away without the help from an outside power.

I am currently on an anti-depressant and I am sooooo grateful for it.  I didn't realize that I was as depressed as I was until it started to lift  but not only with the aid of the meds.

I did an exercise program prior to the holidays going two days a week for 3 hours each day and it was amazing what it did for my well being.  When I go back and read some of my posts from a year prior...I actually wonder who that person was!!  The exercise wasn't the only thing that helped me though.  

As we all know, we tend to lose track of friends once we start this journey and sometimes it's not only our doing...a lot of time people don't know how to deal with us once we start to have problems and it's easier for them to walk away.  Of course this is going to cause us sadness and depression!

I found that going to the exercise program and meeting and socializing with new people was very therapeutic for not only my mind but it gave me the push to want to do well in the exercising!  I know that a lot of people are hesitant to exercise with MS but I was too and I didn't know what to expect.  What a surprise I got when I realized that I was enjoying myself and feeling better too.

Do yourself a favor and get out there or have people in or whatever you can to not alienate yourself from life.  When you do you are asking for trouble in the form of loneliness and depression.  I know it's hard to get motivated to do something for yourself especially when the focus is on finding out what is ailing you but I truly believe that not using your mind elsewhere is not a good thing...you need a healthy balance and you know if you are not getting it.

I hope that this will help even one person to get out of the proverbial "rut" that a lot of us find ourselves in.  Just because you may not be able to do what you used to doesn't mean that you are not able to learn something new!  Go for it and good luck!

Lots of Hugs,
Rena
Take a shower and put on make up!  Wear something bright and go for a walk! (if possible?  I am in California, so it's possible here)....Also, a good funny movie?  It's easier said than done...Trust me, I know.  I have had depression for over 15 years.....
Rena,
I know from my own experience that what you wrote about the organized exercise program is absolutely true.  Its so good to hear you recognize it works for you.

Auspiciousme,
Are you channeling my mother?  She has always said it is essential to our well being to get up out of bed every day and get dressed.  There is to be no wearing pajamas all day long when you are perfectly healthy.  And of course getting dressed requires a shower and lipstick!  

So what song would you two sing?
Lulu
ok.... So.. I'm singing loudly "IF YOU'RE HAPPY AND YOU KNOW IT SAY AMEN... AMEN"

I just got back from a wonderful movie night with friends watching Inkheart. I always enjoy planning one fun thing a week to look forward to.

I always try to make other people smile. It helps, becuase you have to smile to. :)

I agree about that whole getting up and getting dressed thing... it does help! :) Now, if i could just take the time and find a person to help me find the make-up that wouldn't make my face break out from allergies I would do that also. I just splash my face with water and go. :)

Have a wonderful sunny day everyone!!!
~Sunnytoday~
TO  ALL

HEY----I'M STILL IN MY JAMMIES FROM LAST NIGHT,NOT DEPRESSED,JUST SNOWED IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'VE BEEN DOING COLLEGE WORK ALL DAY.FIRST EXAMS ARE NEXT WEEK.I  WAS GONNA BE COMFY LAYING HERE AND DOING IT.

RENA-I TAKE AN ANTI-DEPRESSANT  TO---IT HELPS MY DEPRESSION FROM THE PAST YEAR AND MY SPASMS.

GRANDMA ALWAYS SAID THIS TIME OF THE YEAR OPEN THE CURTAINS AND LET THE SUN SHINE IN.

I'LL  CHECK IN ON MONDAY,TOMORROW,NO COMPUTER,GIVING MY EYES A WELL DESERVED REST.

T-LYNN

For me it would have to be "My Favorite Things" from Sound of Music!