Multiple Sclerosis Community

Just Sharing: MS Pain Publication by MS Society of Canada

Hello all. I just came across this publication by the MS Society of Canada that talks about pain in MS (causes, types, management techniques, treatments, etc.) Pages 11-13 feature the McGill Pain Questionnaire, which may be useful to some of us, and ties to recent forum discussions of how to describe symptoms. I hope this is of some value to members.

http://mssociety.ca/en/pdf/managing-ms-pain.pdf

Best wishes to all,
Jane
I have a hard time with the word pain. I think it may be denial. My legs are often "uncomfortable", "cranky", "bothersome", but I can't seem to get "painful" into the mix.

Kyle
I should add that after completing the survey, it seems I am pain qualified :-)
That's the great thing about the survey. My thighs are aching like a ******* this week, but I can't tell if its spasticity, neuropatic pain, psychosomatic issues, or something totally unrelated to MS. I suppose time will tell, or next time I visit my doc I will give him my survey and hope he can figure it out :P
That is an absolutely great bulletin and I have printed a copy for my files.  Thanks for the find, Jane!
Thank you for sharing this.  I was just trying to describe my pain to my neurologist yesterday.  I'll print this out, and use it on  my next visit.
I've found this document to be very useful in discussing my pain with my neuro.
Great tool to help delineate pain and it's origins and possible treatments!  I have been to a pain clinic associated with my MS Center, I plan on sharing this with them. Their version lacks the list of descriptive qualities.

Thanks Jane for sharing this great publication!

Ren
Thanks, Jane, that is a helpful, nicely-done document.

Like Kyle I tend to not name these sensations pain. Rather, I think of them as unpleasant or uncomfortable sensations. This is partly a legacy of many years of a kind of meditation where you work to perceive sensations at the level of sensation, very much as is described on p 10 of the booklet. So I label burning, tightness, pressure, pricking, aching rather than pain.

Plus pain seems like it should be reserved for a more intense phenomenon than what I usually experience. Thankfully, my pain seems to be much less strong than what many on the forum go through, although when it is more intrusive, I find it difficult to focus away from the pain on some kinds of other things, like conversations. Going to sleep with the relatively steady discomfort of paresthesias (at the level I have them) is easier as I can usually relax into the sensations. However, on the rare nights when I am subject to the brief, but intense and unpredictable, discomfort of spasms, it is impossible to sleep.

If you get the MS Focus magazine, they have some useful articles on pain in their current issue (online at http://eflip.msfocus.org/Spring2012.htm) they talk about what they call a self-management plan, including self-monitoring, meds and other approaches (such as relaxation, self-hypnosis, practicing mindfulness, staying active). The article has that cheerfully over-optimistic, facile tone that drives me crazy, but there is some solid information there.

sho
this is very helpful. a recent world reknowned ms doctor/researcher mentioned the hard time patients have in describing symtoms to their doctor. the whole room laughed with him.

i'm having more issues with speech and descriptive things and this sure will come in handy. not that any doctor at VA listened anyways but having this is a great tool.

thank you. i will pass this on to our groups here.
Thank you Jane, this very helpful.

My best,
Dagun