A
A
A
Close
Multiple Sclerosis Community
9.17k Members
152264 tn?1280358257

Lhermitte's and non-Lhermitte's paresthesia

Does anyone else get Lhermitte's attacks in which you ALSO get the same paresthesia (or shock, or whatever) in the same place, at times when you're NOT bending your neck?

For example: two nights ago I got a new "attack" of Lhermitte's--a light shocky feeling on the outside of my left ankle when bending my head down. It continued yesterday and today.

Now, this evening, I am getting "pulses" of the same shocky feeling both with head-bending AND randomly, without head-bending.

I've had this same thing with, e.g., vibration in my left thigh and another time on the bottom of my right foot. Bending my head would cause the vibration--but the vibration would also occur independently, often in "pulses."

In the past, I got the "independent" thigh-vibration first, and it progressed to Lhermitte's thigh-vibration after maybe a couple of days. This time, with the ankle, it's the opposite--first it was Lhermitte's only, now it's unprovoked paresthesia PLUS Lhermitte's.

Does anyone else get this--i.e., a paresthesia that manifests by itself but also with head-bending?

Nancy (undiagnosed)
14 Responses
147426 tn?1317269232
I do.  And mine is identical to yours.  I get a vibrational feeling in the front of my left thigh that can occur with or without neckbending.  Mechanically it makes perfect sense that this could happen.  If the lesion is such that the signal is interrupted on its own it will cause the paresthesia unprovoked.  But, if it is also in the right place such that neck flexion can irritate the same lesion, then the L'Hermitte's can occur, too.

Q
867787 tn?1318939830
I'm not DX'd yet either but yes I get that alot also & it doesn't go away. I feel the vibration several times a day. I used to have to bend my neck to my chest to get the L'Hermittes  but now it does it with my neck only slightly bent (mainly when I bow my head to pray). Yet another crazy symtom I find that I'm not alone in!! Quix, what you mentioned makes perfect sense & I hadn't thought of it , so thanks!
378497 tn?1232147185
I have this all the time, exactly as you describe it. In fact, sometimes, the buzz on its own tips me off to a Lhermitte's fire-up.

Bio
382218 tn?1341185087
I also have similar sensory issues.  I often have Lhermitte's, most noticeable with forward neck flexion during and immediately following exercise.  I get the buzzing down my back and in the fronts' of my thighs.  Used to also get it to my feet but that hasn't happened in a while.   However like you I also get these buzzing sensations esp on the same area on my thigh, without any movement at all.  Weird.
152264 tn?1280358257
Very interesting to hear that others have this in the same way. Thanks, everyone.

Quix, your explanation does make sense; in fact that's what I assumed was going on--a bit of damage that shows up even more when the spinal cord is stretched.

Tammy: I have noticed over the nine years that I've had Lhermitte's, during some flare-ups I only have to bend my head slightly to make it happen; in other places/times, I have to bend my head way down to make it occur.

I distinctly remember one time having a Lhermitte's buzz somewhere, I think under one knee. When I'd lower my head a little, it would buzz and quickly start to fade out. I'd lower my head a bit more, and the buzz would be reinvigorated for another few seconds. Lower my head a little more and it'd buzz strongly again.

Another time, when I had the Lhermitte's vibration in the bottom of my foot, I'd lower my head partway and there would be a pulsating vibration. When I lowered my head all the way, the vibration would be constant.

All this makes sense in terms of the mechanism of Lhermitte's... but it's just so darn WEIRD.

It's funny what you forget, too. My very first journal entry about the "funny feeling" in an embarrassing "southern" region when I bent my head down (I had no idea it was Lhermitte's until the neuro told me it was "MS") says that it happened when I was in the shower or had just got out. I had completely forgotten about that. (There is a LOT in my ten years of "record-keeping" that I'm surprised to go back and find.)

Nancy
152264 tn?1280358257
Hi doublevision. Even during times when I'm otherwise not having Lhermitte's, I will almost invariably have it within 20 minutes of starting my neighborhood walk (uh, when I COULD do my neighborhood walk--not sure anymore, but I used to be a great walker).

Walking along... duck to avoid a tree branch, and buzz! in my knee. Particularly when I'd get home and stop walking--maybe the heat would then build up worse, because I would get "rivers" of buzzing down my rear and thighs and often also in other places.
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
987762 tn?1331031553
Australia
5265383 tn?1483811956
ON
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease