Multiple Sclerosis Community

Love the reading here, yall

Hi, I just wanted to say I love reading the posts on this website. You are very informative, and at times you crack me up. Let me start off by saying Ive been hospitalized 2 times in the last year with "stroke like symptoms" abnormal gait, confusion, severely high b/p. They did a full cardiac work up and all is good. My MRI of the brain: Two small foci of nonspecific T2 hyperintensity. These can be seen in patients with migraine headaches. They may represent small foci of old infarct or demyelination.
Cervical MRI C4-7ACF Anterior fixaton plate. Left  C7-T1 posterior extrusion with nerve root and cord encroachment. Midline posterior C5 body osteophyte narrowing the ventral subarachnoid space. Shallow left central C4-5 posterior endplate spur. Bilateral C3-4 foraminal narrowing due to uncinate process spurring with shallow diffuse posterior protrusion.
MRI of thoracic Spine:
Multiple mid to lower thoracic disk herniations resulting in mild cord deformity at the T8-T9,T9-T10 levels. Left ligamental flavum buckling and facet arthropathy result in mild deformity of left posterior  cord at T10-T11 level.C7-T1 herniation deforming left cervical cord and encroaching on left exiting C8 nerve root as seen on prior MRI of cervical spine.
MRI of Lumbar spine:1) Lumbarization of the S1 vertical body demonstrated.
2) GRADE 1 Degenerative subluxation at the L5-S1 Level with mild sac deformity. There are multiple bulges and sites of posterior element degeneration without significant central stenosis or critical neural foraminal encroachment. However, facet arthopathy is severe at the L5-S1 level bilaterally. My Pcp had me do another MRI of the brain because Im having bilateral leg weakness, fatigue,confusion, and trouble focusing my eyes. My new MRI shows small scattered hyperintense T2 foci within the the white matter of cerebral hemispheres on the FLAIR and T2 sequence. There is also a subcentimeter cyst within the left parietal deep white matter.

I know my spine is a total mess. I had an ACF in jan 2006 of the C4-5 and 6. Im concerned about my spine but now my PCP is sending me for an EMG by a neurologist, and also sending me to a neurosurgeon in early October. My PCP seems more worried that I may have MS than anything else. Sorry for such a lengthy letter, but all of yall seem so knowledgable on this subject. Any thoughts to my MRI'S?

Rutey

Hi Rutey,  Welcome to our little family here.  I'm sorry what brought you here but I know you will get some good answers.

Sorry I can't help on you MRI's but it all reads greek to me.  I wish you the best and please join in anytime.

I'll be praying,
carol
Wanted to welcome you to our little cyber-asylum! I wish I was able to decypher your results, but I can only offer support, and let you know that the folks who know what they're talkin' about will chime in soon.

Penn
Oh, my goodness, how scary that must have been for you!  I'm sorry about your history, but I'm glad you found our little corner here.  Welcome!

Like Carol, it's all Greek to me, but fortunately, Quix knows Greek!  Hopefully, she'll be along in a while...

Stick around, pull up a comfy chair, and like Penn said, we'll take good care of you!

Be well,

Momzilla*
Hi, what a nice entrance onto the forum.  It pleases me that people read along and enjoy us.  I think we're great.  We're thinking of taking the show on the road, but getting all these gimps onto a stage would not be a pretty sight!

Well, in perfect medical-ese, your back is a war zone and is certainly causing some of your problems...and you're response to that is ....Duhhh!

The MRIs are showing increasing lesions.  But, I am very concerned about the severely high blood pressure you had.  Have they done the full work up for things that cause ministrokes and mimic MS?  The one we were talking about most recently is "Sticky Blood Syndrome" or Hughes Syndrome.  To check for this they need to run several blood tests for Antiphopholipid antibodies, AntiCardiolipin antibodies, Lupus Anticoagulant and one other that slips my mind (not only do I have Teflon Blood, but apparently a Teflon Memory).  You also need a workup for things that cause vasculitis - autoimmune type stuff.

What kind of other symptoms have you had?  For now let's exclude things that might be caused by your trainwreck of a back.  (BTW - what all has happened in your back?  Arthritis? a fall?, a hand grenade?)  Any generalized fatigue, cognitive problems, heat intolerance, visual difficulties, dizziness?  And how old are you?   I'm so politically incorrect  :(   We have to know how aged your brain is.  After all someone recently was told they had age-related lesions at 31!

The hyperintensities on T2 and FLAIR indicate scarring.  That they resemble the lesions of migraine indicate that they are very small.  Have you read my write up on "MRI's, Lesions and Symptoms"?  I think it's on the second page now.  It explains (in a way) what some of the lingo is on an MRI report.  Foci -means more than one spot -  Things that cause the lesions that are showing on your brain MRIs up would be ministrokes (like from sticky blood), migraines (do you have migraines) High blood pressure - is this an ongoing problem with you?  Or was it just when you were having the episodes?

MS can occasionally present with a stroke-like picture.  It isn't common, but is certainly possible.  After each episode, how long did it take to regain all your function, or did either one leave you with lingering problems?  Did they anticoagulate you?  What meds are you on?

Your post wasn't lengthy..Haha..I'm sure I hold that record along with the World Indoor Endurance Reclining Record.  Sit down and pull up a chair,  then get up and onto the chair and join us.  We're always good for a laugh.

Quix
And apparently the screen is teflon and some of the things you told us slipped off.  Certainly I didn't miss reading something!  You've had fatigue (not related you think to pain or difficulty with moving from your back?)  Cognitive stuff - like what ? And have you seen an ophthalmologist.  If your GP is worried about MS they should do a Visual Evoked Potential.  But if focusing is a problem - is it blurriness or movement of what you are trying to look at?

Pretend that paragraph up there is part of the first post I did.  I look better that way.  Q
Thanks for answering my LENGTHY post. LOL! First of all let me give you a little background on myself. Im 50 years old, I have been on as many as 4 blood pressure meds, because of my hypertension. I have lost over 50 lbs, and now my b/p is normal,Im on NO meds. I cant pinpoint how I hurt my spine as bad as it is. Everyone asks me that question. I was always athletic when I was younger. In answer to the anticoagulation question, yes both times I was in the hospital I was put on Coumadin. Im not on it anymore. Ive had problems with my neck for years and in Jan of 2006 I had a cervical diskectomy at the C4-5 and 6 levels.I wish now that I had insisted on a complete spinal MRI, maybe they would have seen that it was bad all the way down.
Yes, Ive had migraines, but they only started recently in the past year or so. My main concern now is the "numbness" in my both legs. It used to be in my left arm, but now its in both legs, left more than right. It used to be only at night while I slept, but now my legs (mostly from my knees to my feet) feel tingly, almost like they are spasming, but from the inside, you cant see them spasming from the outside. Does that make sense? Its a constant tingly, spasmy(is that a word, lol) feeling, I have to actually think where my feet are going. Ive had occasional footdrop and fell.
Well, I better stop typing, or yall will think Im a rambler(which I am, dont tell anyone).

The only meds Im on is Neurontin, Ive been on it forever. These constant problems with my bilateral legs are becoming so annoying!
I love the hand grenade comment about my back. I almost peed in my computer chair laughing. Yall are so funny. Its nice to find a place thats not only informative but amusing. See yall when I get to work!

Rutey
Welcome Rutey!

Wow, so sorry to hear of all the troubles.  It must be painful! I'm glad you've joined our group and from...., oh, let me make a wild guess. . TX - ya'll, I just love it.

Anwyay, I thought this might be helpful.

Tests they would run to check for APS.  This was mentioned by Quix (Hughes Syndrome - Sticky Blood).  I've cut and pasted this from web info I've researched:

Physicians use a combination of clinical symptoms and laboratory tests to diagnose APS. The common blood tests for antiphospholipid antibodies are as follows:

Lupus anticoagulant (LA) and anticardiolipin (aCL) antibodies are the classical tests used to diagnose the antiphospholipid syndrome (APS).

-  Anticardiolipin antibodies (IgG, IgM, and IgA)
    -  Lupus anticoagulant – a panel of blood clotting tests that may include the dilute Russel Viper venom time (dRVVT), lupus aPTT, mixing studies, and hex phase phospholipid test, platelet neutralization procedure
    -  Antibodies to b2-glycoprotein I (IgG, IgM, IgA)

Clinical Criteria:
     - Vascular thrombosis- arterial, venous or small vessel, in any tissue or organ, confirmed by  objective validated criteria
     - Pregnancy morbidity
     - Unexplained fetal death at or beyond 10 weeks gestation
     - Premature birth before 34 weeks gestation because of eclampsia, severe pre-eclampsia or placental insufficiency
     - Three or more unexplained consecutive spontaneous abortions before 10 weeks gestation
Laboratory Criteria:
     -  Lupus anticoagulant, present on at least 2 occasions, at least 12 weeks apart.
Anticardiolipin antibodies (ACA), IgG or IgM, >30 units for both, present on at least 2 occasions, at least 12 weeks apart.
     -  Anti-beta-2-glycoprotein I antibodies (anti-B2GPI), IgG or IgM, >20 units for both, present on at least 2 occasions, at least 12 weeks apart.

In the absense of the clinical criteria, it's easy to see why APS is not necessarily checked for and caught in the early stages to keep folks from having strokes, blood clots, hearts attack, etc.

With MS there are so many similar symptoms you an compare them side-by-side.

Again, welcome, and I hope you get some relief and answers soon,

SL

P.S.

I've had problems w/my neck for years. I won't begin to complain after hearing of your back. But, for me, MRI's looking for MS (among other things) showed left paracentral HNP at C3-4 and left uncinate spur is present w/moderate mass affect upon the anterior left thecal sac and mild left foraminal stnosis w/out cord compression. . .My neck and shoulder blade still aches like a toothache and I think the headaches are a result of that too.

After the Dr's suspected MS, I began researching symptoms for stroke (I thought for certain I had one and that they were all wrong), but I also searched Herniated discs and I found plenty of evidence that they can in fact cause neurological symptoms, depending on the effect on the spinal cord. . .not to mention the pain, nerve issues, etc. .. .

Just thought I'd add that incase you felt like researching those reports you have - best of luck,
SL
Howdy,

Actually I was born here in Orlando, Florida. All my relatives are from south ga though. Thanks for responding to my post so quickly. I feel like Im falling apart. Its really sad because, I eat healthy, ive lost weight, and now Im having a hard time walking. This morning my husband had to drive me to work, I feel like my legs are "drunk". I tried going up the stairs, and I had to hold on to the railing just to get up there. It was quite a workout. Have you been dx'd with MS?

I'm glad to do it, I've received so much help here, all I can do to re-pay is recipricate (sp?). I should of guessed the GA.  My brother is stationed there and lives there now.  

I can totally relate to the drunk feeling.  It's horrible.  I had it for a little over 3 months.  Not only does the body respond in that way, it's the thinking too right? Mine was.  Do you feel like you have to keep correcting yourself when walking? Like you are sideways a bit? What about your eyes?

Yes, I was dx'd this year.  I have to update and re-post up my timeline (so Quix doesn't hollar at me...lol) so you can read it.  It's actually a good thread with the others w/dx's too, although I think mine is waaaay back on the board.  

I too am in good shape (well, there is always something that need tweeeking), but overall could be worse. I haven't been able to combat smoking, and so I blamed everything "weird" that happened to me over the years on that.

Just as a forewarning.... do look into your past when your thinking is on track, before you go to the Dr.  It's good info for the Drs, in order for them to determine if you've had any past episodes.  Otherwise, it's considered clinically isolated (CIS), although a good neuro who is "definite" you have MS, however does not have the past episode identified w/time and space, will still recommend you on DMT's.

I have lots of spasms in varying places, and those back one's. . . . . .oh man, just take the breath out of you don't they! Are your appointments far off? I hope not. . .

Wow, you are fast! Omg, you have been through what Im going through. You are so correct at the THINKING aspect of walking. I have to think where my feet are heading. Its funny how we just get up and walk and in the past my feet went where they were supposed to without thinking about it. My eyes havent been as bad as some of the other posts Ive read. I have had my eyeglass prescription changed a couple of times in the last year and a half. They attributed it to my blood pressure probs. I have had a "cloudy" film in front of my right eye, but it seems to get better. Like I said before, my legs used to "go to sleep" only at night while I was asleep or trying to sleep. Now it is constant, it feels like they are "spazzing" out from my knees ato my toes. I dont see them visually. but can definitely feel it. Im trying to focus on that its due to all my spine problems and not anything else. The last hospitalization in March of this year, I was in there 5 days. They worked me up cardiacly, and stated I needed to follow up with a neurologist. My Pcp never gave me a referral, and when I started having these leg weaknesses and headaches, he realized my brain MRI said demyelination, and thats when this whole MS subject started, I have an appt with a neurologist on Oct. 3rd, and a neurosurgeon about my cervical MRI'S  Oct 10th. My PCP wants me to go to the ER if I keep having the leg problems. I am trying to hold out until October.
Glad to hear those appt's are not far off.
Yea, isn't it ridiculous that you have to "think" about going about your daily business and things we must of all take for granted at some point in time, talking, walking, eating, cooking, cleaning, etc.  

I'm not too busy today, so I hope I'm not holding you up.  I'm glad to be able to relate, and respond, as many here can and will do too.  

I hope the Neuro on the 3rd will order labwork including the aCL and the aPL and the Lupus Anticoagulant LA and if there are flags, you can go from there.  If they ran the same things in the hospital, maybe there are some consistencies or (inconsistencies).  

Sending healing thoughts your way. . .
SL

p.s. Quix was diagnosed w/MS out of the "typical" age frame

Dang, is your nickname LIGHTNING FAST? Actually, Im at work today, and I love that you are responding so quickly. I look like Im 70 when Im walking to the bathroom. My legs feel so strange. Its so weird, they wont stop the tingly fingling. Its constant, its NOT painful, but very annoying, and Im scared Im going to fall. Do your legs feel like that? My hubby is threatening to take me to the ER but no way the UCF vs Memphis State game is saturday, and im dang sure going. I live 1 mile from UCF campus. My health has to take a backseat to the football game! LOL!

btw, am I allowed to ask how old QUIX was when diagnosed?
Hi,  I don't blame you on the football game thats how I am with Oklahoma.  I might be sick and in pain but it is gonna have to wait until after the game.lol

I know you don't want to think about this but I found using a cane is very helpful.  I have just recently gotten out of my wheelchair (hooray!!!) and usually use my walker, but around the house and when I go to friends houses I use my cane.  It will help you keep your balance.  Also, watch your feet as much as possible.  Every time I have fell was because I was'nt watching my feet.

If you do get a cane get one that is adjustable.  You want to hold it to where your elbow is at a very slight bend, it's usually right around your waist.  Most people make the mistake of having their cane to high and it hurts the back.

Any way it's just a thought.  But, it sure helps me.

I'll be praying,
Carol
Granny is right, do what you have to - to see that game! ha/ha. . . Besides, it will be easier to shoo away those unruley Memphis fans w/it!

My legs didn't feel tingly during my episode, it was my hands and my feet, moreso w/my legs it was that I couldn't walk a straight line! Granny can probably elaborate a little further re: help operating those Hot Wheels!

I have to look at the timeline, can't remember the exact age w/Q. . .she'll probably be on later, and hopefully post too. . .  .

Sincerely,
Lighting
DANG Lightning! I like it!
Reminds me of Joe Dirt.....daaaaaaang?
Hope you saw that movie - don't want you to think I'm dang nutty in the coup!
Thanks for the laughs! My cane could come in useful to some of those fresh college kids! JUST KIDDING! Its really strange because for the last 3 or 4 years, they keep working my symptoms up for cardiac disease. I have a heart that is as good as any 20 year olds. I do however have very high triglycerides and cholesterol, which is coming down. All these years my problems have been more than likely my spine. Everyone that has seen my MRI'S asks me if Ive been in a bad car accident. CRAZY!
BTW, I did see Joe Dirt, 2 funny!
As you can tell Im a southern redneck chick, and LOVING IT!

dangit, dangit, yall are fun!
In response to your:

Arent we all a little cuckoo?

BTW, while I have you reading my ramblings. Do any of you have paltalk.com? Its a great website and you can go into rooms and either type or talk on microphone. Its fun, they have health rooms over there. Its free unless you want to see cams. I love it over there, and I talk to people all over the world, the aussies are so much fun.

Rooter Pooter  "rutey"
No, haven't visited any of dem' der' talkin' type rooms. . .ha/ha. . .

All I'll say is that I understand the lingo, we're I'm from, they call some of us Piney's -- so that's pretty close relative to the rednecks, maybe we is  re-lated!   ha/ha
HAHAHAHA, Im at work today and Im cracking up at your posts. 2 gosh darn funny!
Hey, who is Quix calling 'gimps?"  I guess she hasn't heard that Carol has got the HOTTEST legs  this side of the MedHelp forum!  Carols legs are SO hot, her doctor accidentally treated her for an infection, thinking she was feverish.  It wasn't her white cell count -- it was her HOT LEGS!!!!  Gimps, my a**!!

Pardon my foul language, Rutey, I simply had to set the record straight.  On everything else, Quix reigns, I know.  

Be well!

Gimpzilla*
Im so glad I found this forum, yall are better than any Comedy Club!
Daaang!  I like that.  You all (uh....y'''alll?  do I have the accent down?) are cracking me up and I needed it.  

Poor, 'Zilla.  She thinks she moves like a ballerina.  We humor her 'cause she a kick to be with.  Tell her she's prettty and graceful and she'll follow you anywhere.

.As far as we can tell I was 52 when I had my first symptoms that we think were from the MS.  I'll bump up the thread that introsuces some of us that have gotten a diagnosis.  It should of SLlowe's story, but she and several other people whom I have named before !!!!  are tardy in adding theirs.

About walking sideways, I miss most doorways and have permanent bruises on my shoulders from the doorjams.  The worst thing is if the ground is sloped a little, I just walk off into the bushes.  I was in an old house that had settled and the floor was badly out of level.  Everytime I got up to walk, it was right into the walls.  My hostess was aghast...  I haven't been invited back.  It's okay, her cookies were stale.

Well, it's back to bed.  I'm having a bad eye-tracking day.

Tootles,  Quix