Multiple Sclerosis Community

MS Diet?

The Aus MS society sent me the latest book by Professor (oH BLIMEY - has professor got one f or two s's????)

Prof George Jelinek's new book, "Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis", which has a whole approcah to tackling this fun. he has MS, his mother suicided when her MS got too much for her to bear.

Anyway, the bit I am fascinated in is the diet. Cut out all saturated fats, dairy, red meat. As much fruit and veg as you like, white fish, olive oil or flasxeed oil instead of butter, vegetable oils etc, rice or almond milk instead of dairy milk. Oh no tomatos, potatoes etc from that family as they are inflammatory.

It's all backed up with heaps of scientific stuff.

Has anyone tried this diet? If so have you noticed any improvement? I am going to try it. First I am cutting out the dairy (SOB). Vegetable oils isn't an issue as I only use olive oil anyway.

Let me know your thoughts...

Jemm "(who will miss lattes)

http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis.org/
Jemm, who is going through latte withdrawal, was this book sent to you by the MS society of Australia or was it received through Professor George Jelinik's group?  

There a big difference, because there are a lot of folks out there claiming a diet can cure/control MS.  Many many scientific studies have been done studying the diet claim, and not a one of them has held up to thorough inspection.  the Swank diet is another good example.  

the Dean Ornisch diet for heart disease does hold up under study, for being able to reverse artherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries) but it is so rigid, and involves a major commitment to total life style changes.  It has not been shown to work on MS though.

If you go to amazon and put in overcoming multiple sclerosis you will return a whole bunch of book titles that all claim to control or cure MS.  

I would be remiss if I didn't also point out that many people have gone long periods of time without a relapse - that's the mysterious part of this relapsing/remitting disease.  Perhaps this is why the professor has gone 11 years without a problem?

There are people that swear by these diets and I have to say that I don't think they do any harm.   In fact, if you follow these diets your general overall health should improve because you will most probably lose weight, reduce your cholesterol levels and blood pressure, and remove the refined foods from your system.

As with any diet or major change in routine, be sure to discuss this with your doctor.  There may be unknown to us reasons why it is not advisable in your case.

Good luck with the latte detox!  ;-)

Lulu
The Aus MS Society was given several hundred copies and these were on offer to MSers, and my MS nurse recommended it. I am not sure if the society is endorsing it or not........

Luckily I like tea lately. since this latest major relapse which started in February, I have had major taste chages in food, one of which is tea. I always hated it prior. I think I am turning into a Brit.

My coffee machine will get all dusty...
I've tried variations on this theme, and I've had no difference in symptoms.  I follow Michael Polan's advise: Eat food, not too much, mostly plants.  By food, he's talking the real deal - fruit, veg, a little meat (make sure it's raised right, and not on a factory farm) or wild fish.  The thing that I cut out (and I do feel better for it from a digestive standpoint) is dairy products.  My tum feels good, and DH is grateful ;-))
I have a taste for iced chai tea latte but don't dare indulge myself too much.  I gave up the coffee after my heart attack and have had fewer than 10 cups in over 30 months.  It is such a rare event that I drink coffee I can almost tell you exactly when! :-)

GG is so right about the sensible diet  and that fits into just eating healthier for all the right reasons. ... one of these days I should try giving up the dairy, but for now my habit is the ice cream.
That diet is very similar to the Swank diet from Dr. Swank here is Portland.

I was noticing that one diet eliminates gluten and claims to improve MS, while most of the others encourage all whole grains and claim to reverse or improve MS.  It would be interesting to dredge up all the big diets and print their recommendations here so we would have it for comparison.

They all encourage eating whole foods and eliminating or lowering red meat and dairy.  I think that the reason for the red meat and dairy is that both of these foods contain small amounts of natural trans-fat.  Gluten is another topic.  One group seems to imply that MS is really a gluten sensitivity, while others just note that many people feel better eliminating gluten.  And Gluten Sensitivity (Celiac Disease) is certainly an MS mimic.

I would like to see all the diets compared.  Jemm, you game to ferret them out?

On a darker side, donating books so that they will be given out by the MS Society is a somewhat fraudulent way of marketing.  Overcome implies a cure.  Unless the Society puts their stamp of approval on the diet as a way to "overcome" MS.  If they send it out as a version of a healthy diet, but without evidence that this will cure MS, then it is a sleazy move, in my opinion.

But, people often ask us about the diets.

Quix
Jemm-
  I have been on a "diet" like this for about 2 1/2 months (since I first realzied that I probably had MS).  I have always had some dairy issues so kept them to a minimum in my diet but now I don't have even a bit of it.  No gluten, red meat or soy as well.  

At first I wasn't very hungry (I think I was a bit depressed and scared to death that I really had MS) so it wasn't difficult to stick to it. By the time I got my appetite back, my taste buds had changed and I really enjoyed the food I was eating.  

You learn to improvise. Now when I got to starbucks I get herbal tea.  I use almond milk with brown rice cereal (but don't have this too often). Fruits, veggies and fish are my main staples along with olive oil and I drink lots of water.

I cannot say if it has helped b/c my typical flare/relapes have pretty much followed the same course whether or not I have been on this diet or not.  This past flare/relapse was the worst and has virtually gone away but I cannot say if that's due to the normal course or helped b/c of this diet. All I know is that I am not changing a thing for now.

For some reason my body does like this diet as I feel great, sleep well and have a ton of energy.  So I do recommend it as some said earlier, it certainly doesn't hurt you health to follow this eating plan.

Good luck!  Julie