Multiple Sclerosis Community

Medical ID Tags, Bracelets

I just ordered one of those "dog tag" medical alert tags to be engraved and put basic info on it for the time being because I was not sure what I would put on the bracelet's and not sure I would actually wear it. The tag allowed me 5 lines and comes with a key chain type attachment which I plan to attach to my purse. this is what I put on it.

Multiple Sclerosis
Blood Type: A Neg
Medications:
Extavia, Depo-Provera
Topiramate, Tramadol

Those are what I consider my pertinant information at the moment - what do you guys think? If I were to do a bracelet with only 4 lines would you just take out the "medications" line? What do you have on yours if you have one?

I looked in the search column and it really didn't bring me up much as far as it being discussed in the past - I do think this is an important thing to have if you are diagnosed or not so that emergency personel know you have neurological problems. Sorry for any spelling issues, having major cog problems lately! Inquiring minds want to know.

MeLissa
I just keep a folded sheet in my wallet with all info plus contact and Doctors. I like this because my medications change all the time. Plus I can copy this off the computer and give to Drs. when I have appointments so I do not have to fill it all out. My husband carries the same paper in his wallet for me.

Alex
MeLissa:

I would definitely keep the medications line; if you were unconscious you would want medical professionals to know your meds to prevent any possible negative drug interactions. You might want to consider listing meds on the same line as "Medications" and then figure out how many spaces you have per line to get it right. If you have room, list your physician.

Like Alex, I had an emergency card with this information in my wallet. The advantage that Alex has over most of us females is that men tend to carry their wallets on their person, where most women carry wallets in their purses.

As for keeping this on your purse, I would strongly recommend against it. Wear it on your wrist and keep it there at all times. I was dx with DVT (blood clots) last year and wore a medic alert bracelet until I came off the blood thinners.

It you got into a car accident where your purse was separated from you or had your purse stolen, the bracelet would not do you any good at all.

Audrey
Thanks for the thoughts. I plan on keeping the actual list of my medications just taking off the word "Medications" off of it if it didn't fit. My husband brought up the same thing about not putting it on my purse because I don't always have my purse with me so I might just put this on my key chain since I always have my keys no matter where I am.

This item is just temporary until I decide which type of bracelet I might want or if I might just prefer to carry a card and give my hubby a copy. He seems to think they can just look everything up - not thinking if we are in a car accident and cannot speak (not being taken to our network of doctors - he's such a goof ball sometimes!)

I even mentioned to him that he didn't know half of the medications I was on and he didn't think that it was that important - I said you don't think it's important that they know I am on a DMD for MS? He was all like Oh I guess so... silly! He's still getting used to me being diagnosed so most of this seems unimportant to him I guess, I am still in the very cautious mode.

I would love more thoughts on this - anyone?
I bought the tags & I made my own bracelets. I have leather, water proof for sports & beaded for nights out.
I turn the metal tag in to me so it's not so obvious. Trust me they will find your tag in the ER when they go to start an IV if it's on your wrist. I NEVER carry a purse. I'm a put a key in my pocket & chase after my kids kind of girl. My main concern was medications that would cause problems if I missed doses & my husbands cell phone number, so that is the only info I have on mine. (& of course my full name)

I feel a bit like a cow with an ear tag when I wear it, but I don't want to go into siezures from missed meds

Sarah
I have wavered back and forth about getting a medical id done - I would list my heart attack/condition and my MS if I had one.  I do carry a printed list in my wallet for easy reference.  I also have significant numbers marked on my cell phone, including my neurologist.

I would not worry about listing blood type unless you have an extremely rare one, because they will not do any blood work without crosstyping your blood.  Period.

I would not list my DMD - if I do or don't take it on a timely manner it is not critical to my life.  We can live without our DMD's, so why clutter up the information with something that isn't essential?  

Actually there is very little information that we can carry on us that medical or emergency personnel would use - I think just the basics of medical conditions is enough.  My husband has an artificial hip and everytime we travel he sets off the alarms.  He carries an ID card on him identifying the body part, but as the TSA folks have said more than once, anybody can make up a card or id.  It's up to them to find out independently what is going on.  I think the same philosophy holds for EMTs and ER workers.

The updated list in your wallet is probably more essential - like Alex said, you can make changes to that as your health situtation evolves.  

In thinking this through, if I had a medical ID inscribed - I would include my name, an emergency contact number ( someone who doesn't live with me - like a sibling or grown child), and my medical condition(s).

I can understand the cautious mode, especially since this is all so new to you.  Your husband's idea of centralized medical records is a great one - if you live in the right states in the US, they exist.  I wish they were everywhere, but unfortunately there are lots of opponents to this idea.

more than my two cents,
Lulu

MeLissa:

Have you had fun shopping for the bracelets? When I went online, I was so tempted to buy the platinum bracelet with diamonds for only $4,200! I just wasn't sure how much my insurance would cover.

I ended up getting a stainless steel bracelet for around $30.

Audrey