Multiple Sclerosis Community

Multisymptom Complexities.

Hello everyone. First time member and posting. Not certain where or which pages would be appropriate for my symptoms and advice. I'll be as brief in description with timeline as possible. Approx. 2 years ago, I developed a dry eye problem. After seeing an Ophthalmologist, he diagnosed me with Meibomian Disease. He indicated that its caused by an Autoimmune issue, but at that time I was not dx'd with an autoimmune disease. A year later I began having problems in both feet and calves. Bottom of feet would intermittently burn, tingle and actually hurt to walk. After 3 months of this pain, I saw a PA at a Neurologists office in which she tested me for Neuropathy and a few other autoimmune disorders. The skin biopsy returned as positive for Small Fiber Neuropathy. In current day its idiopathic. Additionally, in the last 6 months I've have horrible left arm pain and weakness. After having an Orthopedic Physician evaluate me, he indicated it was due to tight muscles but not sure what else may be a factor. He ordered a spine and head MRI which I won't have completed until next week. Oddly enough, in the last month I've developed a strange horizontal indentation / depression directly on my right side quadricep. I've not had an injury there past or present. Concerned, I underwent an MS-K Ultra sound last week and it came back as Atrophy of the subcutaneous soft tissue (?). Hence, waiting to schedule and appt. with an Orthopedic Physician for further eval. My concern is the rapidity of these symptoms that are surfacing. Of course, like many others, the symptoms draw us to the concern of MS. Which is why I'm here asking if anyone else has experienced these strange symptoms. Any insight would be wonderful if time permits. Thank you. Kem.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi and welcome,

Honestly from my understanding what youre describing could all be interconnected to what ever condition is causing the Small Fiber Neuropathy, Diabetes is the most common cause but there are others;
eg endocrine and metabolic disorders
hypothyroidism
metabolic syndrome
hereditary diseases
Fabry disease
hereditary amyloidosis
hereditary sensory autonomic neuropathy
Tangier disease
immune system disorders
celiac disease
Gullain-Barre syndrome
inflammatory bowel disease
lupus
mixed connective tissue disease
psoriasis
rheumatoid arthritis
sarcoidosis
scleroderma
Sjogren’s syndrome
vasculitis
infectious diseases
hepatitis C
HIV
Lyme disease
Other causes may include:

certain medications, such as chemotherapy drugs
vitamin B-12 deficiencies
alcoholism"
https://www.healthline.com/health/small-fiber-neuropathy#causes

Small fiber neuropathy is associated with the peripheral nervous system which are the nerves outside of the brain and spinal cord, where as neurological conditions like MS are associated with the central nervous system.

If you let me know what your MRI's turn up, i might be able to shed more light :D

Hope that helps......JJ