Multiple Sclerosis Community

My brain hurts- both literally and figuratively ;)

I just wanted to say that I am so grateful for this forum and for each and every one of you who share your experiences and offer support to newcomers. The past couple of months have been mentally exhausting and I have found the most comfort here reading the board.

A little about my journey thus far...
I began seeing a Naturopath in April of this year because my symptoms were all over the place, and quite honestly, I thought an MD might think I was crazy (I'm noticing that is a common theme here). During my last pregnancy in 2012 (my daughter just turned three), I began having really strange symptoms, which I attributed to low B12 (I'm a vegetarian, but I eat a mostly vegan diet, and even began eating meat for a short while since it seemed like the responsible thing to do and I am well aware that low b12 causes neurological issues). My symptoms included a complete loss of smell, hematuria and chronic  UTIs, stuttering, slurred speech, clumsiness, tripping on air, dropping things, memory loss, and an overall feeling of unwell (I like to refer to this as my kryptonite).  After my daughter was born, my symptoms continued and became progressively worse. I began to feel very apathetic and depressed, which was especially concerning since I was now a mother of four young children. My ND discussed my results with me in detail and said that there was excitotoxicity in my brain- she likened it to battery acid, and suggested something could be wrong neurologically especially since I lost my sense of smell and my quinolinic acid was extremely high.  I opted to take a Zinc supplement since my zinc level was on the low range of normal, in addition to a few other supplements to help with my overall well being (and just dismiss the suggestion of having a real neurological problem- denial for sure).

In July, I began to have really strange visual disturbances, which were really quite terrifying.  Temporary blindness, blurred vision, and double vision (mine was like quadruple psychedelic vision).  I went to the eye doctor in October and casually mentioned these instances to him and he offered a few possibilities- 1. cardiovascular in nature, 2. ocular migraines (at the time, I had NO migraines, but I've had them regularly since), and 3. early stage MS.  

Of course, I freaked out and went to see a primary care doctor the next week.  She ordered an MRI right away and ran some blood tests- my B12 was in the low range of average and my Vitamin D was pretty low (22, and I had already been on 35,000 IUs for 4 months). The MRI came bad abnormal with scattered nonspecific white matter.  

A few weeks later, I met with a Neurologist (I knew she wasn't the one for me within 2 minutes of meeting her), and she was really pretty dismissive over my concerns. She went ahead and ordered an MRI of my cervical spine and an EEG (my maternal grandmother was epileptic).  I explained that I had what I believed was a leg tremor the week before, but she insisted that it was a seizure.  I just received the results of my second MRI and no lesions were found, although there were other issues including Mild posterior disc osteophyte complex from C3-C7 (I'm 39, so I was a little surprised by this). As an aside, I had two CTscans in 2014 for kidney stones and hematuria- in April my spine was normal, but six months later it showed mild levoscoliosis. I've researched a ton and have read that spinal changes are common in MS, so I'm really not feeling good about this. My EEG results were abnormal and the Neurologist prescribed an anti-seizure med, which I will not take until I get a second opinion.  I have an appointment a week from today with another Neurologist and I am hoping that she will offer further insight.

COMMUNITY LEADER
Hey there,

I'm not really sure what your referring too "I've researched a ton and have read that spinal changes are common in MS, so I'm really not feeling good about this." IF you are meaning that structural abnormalities are commonly caused by MS or are commonly associated with MS, then you would have to be misunderstanding what you've been researching....

"Mild posterior disc osteophyte complex from C3-C7 " and "mild levoscoliosis" are actually interconnected but the causation of these types of issues are directly relating to structural disc issues of your spine and the most common explanation would be multiple full term pregnancies but neither issue is associate or caused by MS spinal cord lesions.  

Unfortunately an abnormal EEG doesn't actually mean you have epilepsy or that you were experiencing a seizure during the testing and the reverse is also true......if the neurologist you saw didn't explain anything or provide any detailed information when prescribing the anti-seizure medication, I would be wary of taking it too and I definitely recommend considering getting a second opinion with a neuro who specialises in epilepsy.

Either way, at least if what you've been dealing with does or doesn't turn out to be the related to seizures, actually seeing someone who specialises in this specific area will help you to better understand what this all means but still keep in mind that even Migraine can produce an abnormal EEG so trying to be open minded about every condition it may or may not turn out to be in the end, is in your best interest!

Cheers...........JJ