Multiple Sclerosis Community

Need advice

About 1 1/2 months ago I woke up with a very strong spinning sensation.  Was very scary.  Couldn't see properly and felt nauseous.  Was able to drift back to sleep but woke a couple of hours later with same sensation.  After sleeping for a couple more hours, woke in morning with dizziness and still nauseous.  Called primary doctor who suggested bonine and sleep.  After resting most of day, felt back to almost normal just fatigued still.  Doc next sent me to get an MRI of the brain.  This is where the fun started...The MRI revealed that not only had I suffered a "mini-stroke" at some point but I also had demyleinating lesions on the left side of my brain.  I was referred to a neurologist who sent me for a second MRI with contrast and of my coratid artery and then later an MRI of my thoracic and cervical.  Also, had five vials of blood taken for complete study which came back looking pretty normal.  At this point the neuro wants me to have a spinal tap done.  Now my confusion is that I don't know whether to continue these tests or just wait and see what life brings.  I do not have major obvious symptoms of MS.  I do get quick blind vision for about one second every once and a while.  I am always tired but feel that is because I am lazy sometimes.  No numbness, pins or needles and tingling.  Do have trouble with speech at times, excess loss of hair, constipation, depression.  What do you think?  Should I pursue testing or wait it out and see what comes?  Please let me know if you need any further info on my situation.  
Hi Pat,

Welcome to the board.

I would recommend that you go through with testing.  If they can diagnose MS, there are treatments that have been shown to be helpful.    Particularly if they catch it early before there is too much disability.  

If they can't diagnose MS, then it is a waiting game.

Have you been tested for hypothryoid conditions.  That can cause hairloss, constipation, cognitive issues, and also the fatigue. They do need to test for full thryoid panel (this is FT3, FT4, TSH and antibodies), rather than just TSH.  Check what tests they did.  Do you have the results?  You can post them here and we can give input.

If it is thryoid, treatment is usually relatively straightforward and effective.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Sally
Thank you Sally.  Just been going through the posts here and I am very glad to have found it.  

The neuro did test the thyroid and told me the results were normal.  Also no diabetes and no lyme disease showed up in blood samples.

Thought of a couple more tidbits of info to relate.  First of all I am female and 40 yrs old.  Another symptom that has been an issue is headache and short term memory loss.  Sometimes I drive home and can't remember the ride at all.  Past week have had pain in right chest and shoulder - feels like muscle strain.  Comes and goes throughout the day.  

Have a question also, what are the other reasons behind demylineating lesions in the brain?  Is it always MS if you have lesions and/or cavitation?

Thank you very much.....

Pat
Just got out first MRI report that triggered the MS investigation for me.  

"There is a small tiny cluster of cavitation with surrounding gliosis without mass effect adjacent to the frontal horn of the left lateral ventricle concerning for possible lacunar infarcts.  There are small nonspecific scattered foci of increased T2 hypertensity demonstrated withing the subcortical white matter of both cerebral hemispheres possibly reflecting minimal small vessel ischemic change, headaches, dymylenation or gliosis from other etiology."

Can someone give me this in English? My neuro tried but his English is Harvard Med kind...not regular Joe kind.  Thanks again
Bumping post - really need some helpful input..

Also, I am trying to get in to see another neuro for a second opinion but noone seems to have any appointments open till next year...anyone in Boston area of Massachusetts out here that could spare five minutes to look at my MRI's?  Please?