Multiple Sclerosis Community

Off Topic-----bad weekend

Friday night at 11, my little cousin lost her battle with breast cancer.  Tara was 32.  she was frist Dx when she was 28.  My mother died of this disease in December of 99 at 55.  Our other cousin had his appendix removed the same night.  he is still in the hospital with a feaver, vometing, ect.  Tara's Uncle (other side) went via ambulance sunday morning with chest pains.  they think that his is probably punemonia.  What a mess!  

Needless to say, my face is doing it's tricks, and I am finding it difficult to get enough time alone to process things.  

Ladies, no matter how young, don't forget to do your self-exams.  Don't chalk up all of your fatigue to MS.  If you develope a new area of pain, get it looked at, don't asume it is MS.  Tara had a back ache.  She was getting her normal blood tests from the previous cancer.  she was tired.....  It was in her bones, lung and liver this time, not her brest.  

My inturnest is always running what feels like frivilous blood tests.  I am glad that someone on my care team does not chalk up all of the difficulties to MS.  She regularly screans me for everyting under the sun.  Thank goodness!

Be Well!
Ann
Boy you are going through the ringer here.  My heartfelt condolences to you and your family for the loss of your young cousin.  May you have the strength to deal with everything else that is tumbling after with your other cousin with the appendix and your Uncle with pneumonia.

It is amazing what we can endure during times of stress.

Thank you for your advice and encouragement of breast self examination.  It is vital that women perform this.  Unless the statistics changed, it was my understanding that one out of eight women suffer from this disease.

I wish you well and thanks for letting us know.

Hugs

Lisa
Vitamin D deficiency is significantly linked to increased risk of cancer especially breast, prostate and colon cancer. A large number of studies confirm higher rates of cancer and MS the further away you live from the equator.  The further away from the equator you live, the less vitamin D you'll produce. If you live above the 35 degree latitude, there is no vitamin D producing UVB rays from November through to March.

"The researchers found that by just analyzing sunlight, they could explain 61 percent of the variation in the number of MS cases across England.

However when they combined the effect of sunlight and glandular fever, 72 percent of the variation in MS cases could be explained."

Vitamin D council recommend optimal vitamin D levels - 80ng/mL or 200nmol/L.
Thank you Opie for the heartfelt reminder - soo important.
I am tryly sorry for your loss.
((((cyber hugs)))))
-shell
Ann, your cousin was soooooo very young - what a tragic loss for her, you, and your family. My heart goes out to you & your family.

My aunt had breast cancer a couple of years ago. They never caught it on her mammogram, even though they knew it was there.  Sadly, you may have cancer, but the current tests, imaging, labs that are available may not catch it - plus, the added human interactions in reading the results correctly (or incorrectly).  It is a very good reminder to do self-exams.

Take care,
-Kelly
Ann, please accept my condolences as well.  It is so tragic when someone dies from cancer and even more so when that person is so young.

gentle hugs,
Lulu
Opie, I'm so sorry for your loss. Breast cancer can be so unfairly damaging in some families. It's heartbreaking to hear of someone so young losing their life to that awful disease.

One of my friends had two types of breast cancer. One could be detected by mammogram. By the time the cancer showed up on her mammogram and they biopsied it, the second type had spread through her entire breast and into the lymph nodes under her arm. She had no idea. She had all the tests she was supposed to have, did the exams, etc. The only imaging test that would pick it up is the MRI.

I am so sorry to hear about your cousin. All this stress may cause an exacerbation. I hope not. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family thru this hard time.

Take care,
Kristi
Opie, I am so sorry for the loss of your cousin.  I send strength to you and your family for all the suffering given to you in such a short time.  May love surround each of you bring warmth so healing may begin.

Love, Sumana
Ann, I'm so sorry for your loss... I recently lost my nephew who was 28 to a heart attach... Your correct that age doesn't matter... Pay attention to all the warning signs weather cancer or any other disease... The MonSter doesn't care how old you are and that goes for any disease out there...

I'll be praying,
Carol
Ann, I am sorry to hear of your loss.  You have been going through some really, really tough times.  Just hated hearing about your your little cousin . . .  

Thanks for the information about the pain vs MS.  I would have never have thought of that . . .  

I'll be praying for you,
Deb
So sorry for your loss.  I can't even imagine losing someone close to me at a young age like that.  My thoughts and prayers are with your family and you!  

Thanks for the reminder to do our exams!  I do slack in that area.

((Hugs))
Jeny
Dear Ann,

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your young cousin. It must be tremendously overwhelming, especially with 3 little ones in your house and not much time to yourself to grieve.
I do hope that warm memories will help comfort you and give you strength to get through this  tragedy. Also, as others have pointed out, you can never be too cautious with cancer.

Sending lots of gentle hugs,
Ren
The crazyness continued.  At the service for my cousin, my dad hada TIA "mini stroke".  He came home from the hospital last night.  He is mostly back to normal; he is just a little tired.  
My goodness, it sounds like your family is just not catching a break.  I hope your dad is back to full strength soon and willing to listen to his doctors.  

hugs to all of you,
L