Multiple Sclerosis Community

Orbit and MRI results

My results are completely 100% normal. My brain is unremarkable.

"Incidental note is made of internal derangement of TMJ's worse of the right than left with anterior osteophyte suggesting a probably joint perforation on the right side. There is abnormal morrow signal also seen in the condyle."

Anyone have any idea what the above says? The good news: It doesn't appear that I have any visible lesions. The bad news: I am most definitely a limbolander with unexplained neurological symptoms. Bleh. I am not sure what to think. I will be curious where she will go from here.

COMMUNITY LEADER
See http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/condyle for the simplest explanation on what condyle means.

Sorry your still in limbo its a horrid place to land but it is good news to not have visible lesions! Ok there is also the posibility that you may still have lesions and they aren't visible on the MRI yet (see health page: how can a person have MS and a negative MRI) though i tend to think the odds are its more likely one of the MS mimics which can equally be tricky to dx.

May sound simple but either way it will take time and patients on your behalf, take a breath it could be a long ride, sorry!

HUGS..........JJ
I know unremarkable is a term the radiologist uses that you didn't necessarily want to hear but a brain and optic nerves without lesions is a most remarkable thing to me ;)

As a person with lots of osteoarthritis (not auto-immune related rheumatoid arthritis) I have heard a lot of reporting of osteophytes on the parts of joints where joints rub together.  It's the reason I ended up turning my natural knee in for an artificial replacement.

I think bone marrow signal abnormalities are about as non-specific as lesions.  It can appear from things like fluid collections (clear/blood), infection, small fractures, cell growth abnormalities and death among other things.

The doctor should be able to tell you more once he looks at the report and images and weighs that in with the history you came him and the physical exam he did.  He very well might recommend you see a dentist if you are having actual symptoms.

Good luck and let us know as you move along with finding some relief for your symptoms.

Mary
Thank you.

I had a little mental talk with myself yesterday. :)  There are a couple things I know about the changes in my health. 1) That I'm not imagining them. 2) That I am in the very early stages of it since this all start a year ago. There are many who have had to wait for everything to just "come together." I had a couple super doctors explain that "Sometimes we just have to wait for it to get worse."

I know they can't rule out MS as it could be that the lesions aren't saying "HELLO! I'm here!" I have a couple extremely suspicious areas that are reflected in ALL of my MRI's they are just not enhanced...more hazy areas. (One image is on my profile page.) I have so many classic symptoms...It really looks like a missed lesion like Dr. Q mentioned in one of her posts where she even pointed out to her doctor's this "spot" on several different images and they continued to say it was nothing. I think that is what is happening here. I realize just having a couple suspicious areas isn't enough though.

So, I will plan to talk to my doctor more about my history and these specific images when I see her in a couple weeks. She intended to refer me to Swedish Medical Center if the results were inconclusive. They have better imaging techniques and might pick up on things easier. We shall see. I haven't seen her yet so she very well could look at the images and say "I am not convinced I'm not seeing something there." as she did the last time. (What do Neurologists do if they see something questionable on the MRI that wasn't noted?) I also still have my repeat VEP which was very wanky the first time. I'll just continue my path and try to figure out my Neuro symptoms.

As for my TMJ, I do not really have symptoms. I sometimes have a little "tightness" when opening my mouth really wide. I also will sometimes have a little aching. It doesn't need treatment. It doesn't affect anything to do with my mouth yet.

As long as I'm still having symptoms of neurological challenges I'll continue to push forward in this direction. That's all I can do. :)
Osteophyte is a bone spur. TMJD is a degenerative condition. If it's not treated it just continues to get worse, like a bad knee. But you can't replace a jaw joint. I had mine treated because of severe headaches and bone loss in the area on x-rays. But there are many, many symptoms that it can cause that mimic things like trigeminal neuralgia, migraines, etc. Once I got through the treatment and everything was stable, he said the headaches and muscle tension in neck and shoulders was from something else. It was obviously a combo of things.

Little by little, this health thing is getting sorted out. I think the best thing about limbo for me was, they've checked out so much in my body, they've found several different issues that were contributing to me not feeling well - hypothyroid, chronic gall bladder disease, TMJD, migraines, low vitamin D levels, and interstitial cystitis. Had it not been for neuro issues, I'd likely not have ever found out about those things either. I usually don't see a doctor for anything but yearly physicals and female exams, unless I have an acute infection of some kind. That's IT, and probably why so many problems have accumulated over the years.

This is what happens when you don't have health insurance, or can't afford to use it when you do.