Multiple Sclerosis Community

Pain??

does anyone out there get shooting pain down the back of their leg/legs esp when waking up ?  Or moving after staying still for a while?
I do. Mostly stretching helps. I also take muscle relaxers. I have to take quite a few. I have gotten used to them and they do not make me sleepy. My problem is spasticity my muscles spasm on their own. I can't do something as simple as picking something of the ground. As I stretch out it is better. I go to a pain clinic. My neurologist sent me. They figured I had nerve pain and muscle pain.
Alex
I don't have this issue, but wondering if it's possible that this is coming from your sciatic nerve? I have had that in the past & it is AWFUL. I hope you are finding something to help with this. If you think that may be the cause, there are some great stretching exercises that can help as Alex suggested.

Cheryl
My immediate thought was sciatica, which I have had intermittently, but which tormented my second wife for much of her last several years.  She had other mobility problems by then, and really couldn't participate in much physical therapy.  As a result, she managed by using the max dosage of Flexeril, plus she was already using some serious pain relievers for this and other problems.

For me, the occasional pill is a rare need, fortunately; what I have found helps most is to try keeping my weight down (an ongoing battle, with minimal progress), and keeping my lower and middle body stretched and flexed as much as possible.  Mixed success, admittedly.