Multiple Sclerosis Community

Quixotic1

In case you don't see the answer on the other post, a root canal is best done by an endodontist, which is a root canal specialist.

I take 2mg of Ativan and ask for Nitrous.  A good endo gets you in and out of the office quickly.

Good Luck.
Geez Quix.  How awful.  Hope you get it fixed and over and done with as quickly as possible.

Hang in there.  Take care of yourself first!

Sally
Quix

I don't see where you posted about the tooth but have you been suffering with this along with the TN.?    What a bear !!!      Root canals aren't that bad any more.   Like Elaine said , take an anti-anxiety and a little nitrous and you'll be good to go. You'll feel so much better   :)  :)  :)  

Hugs and prayers        Jo

I posted under someone else's poor bewildered thread.  I'm sure they that I was wacko.

The molar fractured straight down to the nerve.  It got completely whacked out tonight, but I'll have to say the oral surgeon was a gentleman and a Pro!  The numbing is wearing off and it's time for some more pain pills.  I hope to see you in the morning.

The new health pages are up, but there are some problems with the organization.  I'm trying to get most of the essays in the outline under Resources and Information.

Anyone can make a health page contribution.  I thought that we would include posts that are or have been of value to lots of people or frequently.  But, I'm not the only one who can do it.

Quix (minus one big molar)
Have not met you before but want to send my good thoughts to you and hope the tooth pain goes away real soon.

*hugs*

Sarah
All I can say is been there, done that!  Sorry to hear that you had to endure a root canal but they really are not as bad as some people say!  Sounds like you had a good specialist and I am glad it's over for you!

Feel better soon!

Rena
Nope, no root canal, just a big extraction of a firmly entrenched back molar.

No about the long-suffering (unless it would get me more sympathy) the tooth was fine, but suddenly fractured Thursday evening.  My dentist wouldn't extract it (it was unsalvageable) because of my bleeding disorder, so he sent me last night to an oral sturgeon.

I'm a little concerned now because the only contact point now on my left side is the tooth that is the trigger for the TN.  I was short on teeth as it was because I'm congentially missing 13 permanent teeth .  I'm on soft foods so I don't yet know, but I would hate to have to chew only on my right for the rest of my life...

Quix
Quix, would you be open to a dental implant?

Elaine
I was lucky enough to have 2 root canals on that back molar before they finally decided to pull it last week...no problems.

I can see why you are concerned about that contact point though...it was about 2 days before I could start on more solid food so I would say by the end of the weekend you should be good to try something more substantial.  

Wishing you luck with that contact point!

Rena
Glad that it is over for you. This is a topic I can really relate to. I have, it seems, spent enormous time in dentist chairs in my lifetime.  I have had numerous root canals, and crown lengthing surgery, apicals (ouch), bone grafts and dental implants and crowns -  you name it.

Did you  consider discussing a dental implant at a future date? Or at the very least having a bone graft just in case you want one in the future..

A periodontist  would probably need to put some human or cadaver bone in the cavity and let that heal first. I am asking this mainly because once that tooth is extracted you will eventually have bone loss in that area without some help. This bone will be an excellent support should you choose later to have dental implants.   Maybe you just feel it ain't worth it. I don't blame you at all.

My dentist told me that he just could not understand why I have had so many problems because  it was obvious I looked after my teeth (flossing, cleaning, etc) but he felt it was due to my MS.  

Marcie
HOPING YOUR FEELING BETTER.

I HAD A MOLAR PULLED YESTERDAY AND TWO, TWO WEEKS AGO.I AM GOING TO HAVE RIGHT SIDED DENTAL IMPLANTS PUT IN,TOP AND BOTTOM IN THE FUTURE.

ALL I CAN SAY IS OUCHY !!!!!!!

I HAVE NO MOLARS LEFT ON THE RIGHT SIDE AND HAVE ALWAYS TAKEN GOOD CARE OF MY TEETH.

MY DENTIST ATTRIBUTES IT TO ALL THE MEDS I TAKE FOR MS.

T-LYNN

Thanks for your input.  I'm a dental idiot.  Yes, I think I am going to want a dental implant.  So who should I talk to and how soon?  Especially if it is going to need a bone graft first and then some healing time.  Maybe I will write the oral surgeon and ask him.  He was head of of a couple academic departments and was awesome!

Quix
A PERIODONIST WILL BE DOING MINE.I HAVE TO HAVE A BRIDGE MADE FOR THE TOP AND BOTTOM.

THE BRIDGES WILL BE AFIXED PERMANATLY.

MY MOM SAID ITS PAINFUL AS THEY HAVE TO PUT SCREWS INTO THE JAW BONE,BUT IT BEATS A STANDARD BRIDGE AFFIXED TO THE EXISTING TEETH,THIS WAY WITH THE BRIDGES BEING PERMANANT,I WON'T MISPLACE THEM(LOL) AND THE STANDARD BRIDGE WON'T WEAR ON MY PERMANANT EXISTING TEETH.

I JUST WONDER WITH THE SCREWS IN THE JAW BONE,HOW THAT WOULD DISTORT A BRAIN MRI?

I KNOW WITH THE SCREWS IN MY LUMBAR THEY REALLY PLAY HAVOC ON MRI PICTURES.

T-LYNN