Multiple Sclerosis Community

Returned to Neuro today

No answers. Neuro told me the neuroapthy is irreversible. The MRI showed what she called insignificant changes. She said MS doesn't cause  neuroapthy???? Is that correct? I am having
more tingling all over my body & told her! She ordered a spinal tap for Monday. I dread that!

Good news is no diabetes or thyroid problems. Still monitoring B-12 levels.

Does anyone know if Metanx can help non-diabetics?

Needles to say, I cried a lot today! Gotta stop that!

Thanks,
A Frustrated Nancy
Neuropathy isn't caused by MS.....WTH is she saying, of course MS causes neuopathy, peripheral neuropathy is one of the common symptoms in MS. Is this a neuro or a wanna be? Sorry, maybe she is someone you really like and I don't mean to be rude, but what is she doing saying that it isn't caused by MS.

Sorry sometimes these things just furiate me.

Good news about no diabetes and no thyroid problems. Don't don't is Metanx can help, never even heard of it before.

I understand the crying, seems to always be one thing after another, but please stay strong.

Take Care,
Paula
6 rs ago I was diagnosed with small fiber neuropathy and after being tested for everything from
aids to shingles and anything in between they said it was idiopathic. Well Ms does cause neuropathy and I am going to be very upset that after all this time If i get diagnosed with ms and could have been on treatment for 5 yrs now and maybe  could have stalled the neuropathy.  my feet and hands are numb all the time and feel like they are in blocks of ice but are warm to the touch.  when I was in the hospital 2 weeks ago a doctor took a safety pin and pricked me from the feet up and I couldnt feel it till shoulder level nice huh the only good thing is my husband got a dose of reality I really dont tell him much about my health cause he gets upset but thats a different topic he just shook his head and I could see a tear in his eye. make sure after the tap you lay down and drink as much fluid as possible I had to go back and have a blood patch done to relieve the headache but the tap itself was nothing it was done under fluoroscopy in the hospital xray dept. I would ask your Doctor abouth the metanx I dont see why it would hurt to try it your still treating a neuropathy.
Take Care
Kat
Quix may have to help me with this explanation, because it has more to do with medical terminology and neurophysiology.

Most doctors are taught that peripheral neuropathy is a permanent condition.  There is some evidence that peripheral nerves can regenerate at a rate of about 1mm per year under the correct conditions (has to do with providing Nitric Oxide, etc.)

MS  it thought to attack myelinated nerves in the CNS (Brain, Cranial Nerves, Spinal Cord) and the peripheral sensations in MS originate in the spine or brian (CNS).  MS is a CNS disease, not a peripheral nerve disease.  MS causes sensations (or loss of sensations) in the body.  These are more accurately called  paresthesia or dysesthesias, not neuropathy.  MS doesn't cause peripheral neuropathy, since peripheral nerves are not myelinated.

I'd cut the doctor a break on this one.  Most MS patients suffer from paresthesia and/or dysesthesias, not neuropathy.   So if you have paresthesia and/or dysesthesias they may go away.  One of the "fine line" issues.

Bob
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hey Nancy,

Sorry but what is your neuro smoking? What exactly did she mean by insignificant changes, the changes can be highly significant in MS, i think you need to get your hands on the report and scans. The other pearl regarding neuropathy is (semi) out of left field, but unfortunately neuopathy can be caused by many other things, not just MS and there is even idiopathic neuropathy (no known cause). I found you something that is well worth reading, easy read, see link below:

What causes peripheral neuropathy?

Peripheral neuropathy may be either inherited or acquired. Causes of acquired peripheral neuropathy include physical injury (trauma) to a nerve, tumors, toxins, autoimmune responses, nutritional deficiencies, alcoholism, and vascular and metabolic disorders. Acquired peripheral neuropathies are grouped into three broad categories: those caused by systemic disease, those caused by trauma from external agents, and those caused by infections or autoimmune disorders affecting nerve tissue.

One example of an acquired peripheral neuropathy is trigeminal neuralgia (also known as tic douloureux), in which damage to the trigeminal nerve (the large nerve of the head and face) causes episodic attacks of excruciating, lightning-like pain on one side of the face. In some cases, the cause is an earlier viral infection, pressure on the nerve from a tumor or swollen blood vessel, or, infrequently, multiple sclerosis. In many cases, however, a specific cause cannot be identified. Doctors usually refer to neuropathies with no known cause as idiopathic neuropathies.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/peripheralneuropathy/detail_peripheralneuropathy.htm

------------------------------------

I have to admitt to not being overly impressed with the "infrequently, multiple sclerosis" but its probably because MS isnt the most common reason for Neuropathy, not that it only happens infrequently in people with MS, which would be totally false. You should also check out our health pages on parethesia (sp) there is a lot of good information there too.

I'm sorry she upset you, not good at all, i suppose you could see it as getting closer to finding out what is causing you these problems, no diabetes or thyroid problems (tick) each removal of alternatives is a good thing in my opinion. I still think your probably better off with a new neurologist though.

Take care.......JJ
A person with MS may develop Peripheral Nueropathy due to severe deficiency in diet;  more specifically loss of B12 and vitamin D.  There is also a type of neuropathy that is demyelnating type.  

MS itself doesn't cause neuropathy, the deficiencies commonly found in patients with MS cause the neuropathy.  

Red
oops---I just read the info above from supurmum ms.  

I guess MS can cause it.  I have been trying to figure this one out too.  I looked at the health pages and read the one on parasthesias but it didn't mention neuropathy.

Hopefully we will get this worked out.

Red