Multiple Sclerosis Community

Stress Fractures

Does anyone happen to know if those with MS are more susceptible to stress fractures?
"Stress fractures" are an injury to the bone caused by repetitive strain on the weight bearing bones.  They are common in the tibia, tarsals, and metatarsals of the feet.  They are one of the most common athletic injuries.   They are not related to MS, but could be related to D3, calcium, and/or phosphorus metabolism issues.

Bob
I know that it sounds like a stupid and uneducated question, but the reason that I was wondering and that I asked is because this past late winter/early spring when I went into my flare, my left leg got REALLY weak. I couldn't stand on that leg or lift a 1 pound ankle weight.

When I came out of the flare, my gait returned to normal and my leg was stronger but still weak. I returned to a lot of my normal activity which included 2 dance classes which ended for the season in early June. I have had a lot of pain in my left leg especially in my outer shin and my upper ankle.  

The pain seemed to get worse when it rained, during the heat wave that we had and when the humidity kicks up. I just assumed it was MS related. I did think it was odd that anti-inflammatories seem to bring no relief. It hurts more when I walk on it, less when I take weigh off on it, but throbs when I lay down at night. I was starting to wonder if it was perhaps actually a stress fracture and not MS related pain. I thought that maybe since my muscles were so weak in that leg that maybe it was too much extra stress on my bones.

I also have a high instep (high arches). I was reading that people with high arches are prone to stress fractures.
High arches increase the chances of a metatarsal stress fracture.  So does extra weight and high impact exercise.  Spasticiy can cause similar pain in the foot and lower leg.  

Bob
My spasticity has been been almost completely gone for awhile now.  I am fat  and have high arches. I figured that me being fat was most of the problem. I returned to dancing and high-impact activity while fat immediately after coming out of a flare. I don't really have any foot pain. It's all in my shin and ankle.
Could osteoporosis caused by excessive use of IVSM increase risk for fractures?  I'm betting Bob will know.
I know that osteoporosis can lead to high risk of stress fractures, but I had a bone scan done (as part of a study I was in unrelated to MS) and I'm surprisingly good in that area. :)
As I said, D3, calcium and phosphorus metabolism can contribute, so IVSM can increase the risk.  So it is not really the MS, but it may be a side effect of the IVSM mixed with weight and dancing.

Bob
I only had IVSM once. That was a 5 day treatment about 6 months ago. I guess it's just the dancing with high arches while fat. :)
Hi my lovely-sounding friend...

I read somewhere that when people have gait problems, they automatically adjust their walking style so that more weight is borne on the good leg, and when the gait is back to normal, sometimes you consciously adjust your walking style so that you put more weight on the 'bad' leg and hey presto - a fracture, an anticipated fall, or sudden pain that causes you to jump.

I've been using a wheelchair since yesterday as during these last few days I've not been able to bend my left leg from the knee (I was using a cane), so around the knee area I get a sharp pain if I put any weight on my left leg. If I try to bend my knee, it almost gives way.

Also I believe that SM causes bone density issues.

I hope I make some sense :)
Ojibajo, I am new to the forum, recently diagnosed with MS 1 year ago, so I am definately not an expert, still learning.  But your question really caught my attention, because I am dealing with the same topic right now, stress fractures, but mine is in the spine.  I had a bone density scan done 2 years ago, and it came back with slight osteopenia, not unusual for a woman my age, 2 years post menapausal.  After a stress fracture occured 6 weeks ago, another bone density scan was done, and in 2 years it shows just my spine has progressed to osteoporosis.  I have searched the internet a lot lately about osteoporosis, and from what I have read, osteoporosis is more common in pt's with MS.  But that may be from immobility.  I am still pretty mobile.  I am going to another specialist for osteoporosis on Wednesday to get her opinion.  I will let you know what I find out.  Good Luck!!!