Multiple Sclerosis Community

Study Shows Teva's Copaxone Repairs Tissue In Multiple Sclerosis

(RTTNews.com) - Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (TEVA) Tuesday said a new imaging technique found evidence of tissue repair in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis patients treated with Copaxone.

Copaxone is indicated to reduce the frequency of relapses in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis or RRMS, including patients who have experienced a first clinical episode and have MRI features consistent with multiple sclerosis.

The 12-month magnetic resonance imaging or MRI study with a non-conventional MRI technique known as Magnetization transfer ratio or MTR, was used to investigate abnormalities in brain structures.

The study examined 40 RRMS Copaxone naive patients between the ages of 18-65 years with disease duration ranging from 6 months to 30 years. All patients had to have one or more contrast-enhancing lesions or CELs. At baseline, the patients presented 115 CELs.

After 12 months of treatment, the number of CELs decreased to 21. The highest MTR increases were observed among hypointense CELs that became isointense (29 percent) and hypointense CELs that remained hypointense (10 percent).

Robert Zivadinov, lead study author, said," These data indicate that treatment with COPAXONE resulted in a measurable amount of tissue repair in study patients."

The study of "Magnetization transfer imaging of acute black holes in patients on glatiramer acetate," was a Phase IV, open-label, single-blinded, post-marketing MRI observational study.

Teva said the results highlight that the MTR technique may be a useful tool to monitor lesion evolution and MS disease progression in future studies.

Copaxone (glatiramer acetate injection) is now approved in more than 50 countries worldwide, including the United States, Russia, Canada, Mexico, Australia, Israel, and all European countries.

TEVA is currently trading at $42.64, up $2.28 or 5.65%, on the Nasdaq. Over the past year, the stock traded in a range of $35.00 - $57.08

http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/stock-market-news-story.aspx?storyid=201201031331rttraderusequity_0776&title=study-shows-tevas-copaxone-repairs-tissue-in-multiple-sclerosis
Only 40 people in a single blinded open label MRI study,  Even though I am a Copaxone user and consider c "good news," I'd like to see a larger better designed study.  

I have mentioned previously that MT-MRI can see damage up to two years before T2 lesions are present so I'm not surprised that this technique could be used.

Bob