Aa
A
A
A
Close
Multiple Sclerosis Community
9.17k Members

Symptoms during menstrual cycle

To all you ladies out there I have this question.  Do you have more symptoms during your menstrual cycle?  I seem to notice a bit more numbness and find myself dropping things during this time.  I wonder if it is because my body temperature seems higher at that time.  I was just wondering since I have been dropping things all day!  Have a great 4th everyone!

OllieO
17 Responses
bump
228463 tn?1216765121
Hi there!

I don't think we have met - nice to meet you!  I am undiagnosed but my symptoms are definitely worse just prior to and during my cycle.  I noticed that when my temp rose to 99.4 F my vibration in my body got stronger and made the tremor, weakness and vision worse.  There are articles on this that I found when it first started happening to me last year.  I will see what I can find and send you a link or two.

Have a nice night!
Kristin  
228463 tn?1216765121
Here is one small article but there are lots of studies that question whether there is a relationship of sex hormones and MS exacerbations.  I think that the doctors are linking them but do not have enough data yet to make a true correlation.  One article I read said 42% of women's exacerbations started during the premenstrual or luteal phase of their cycle.  Very interesting stuff.  I at one time last year tried birth control pills thinking that it would prevent the symptom increase but after 4 months I noticed very little if any difference.
Here is the link:
http://www.devic.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=845&sid=23fed194e9c8d4848fb60ed383e05e26
428506 tn?1296560999
I am also undiagnosed, but whatever is wrong with me, it does act up.  I've been symptomatic for about 3.5 months straight, and during each cycle I notice a worsening.  In particular, the feelings of heaviness get much stronger.  I almost feel pinned to the furniture, like gravity is stronger around me.  I'll level out again afterwards.  I've always had notable PMS, and if I have any illness around then, it always makes it worse!

What lucky ladies we are, eh?

Take care
Thanks for your comment.  I have started feeling really bad during my period in the last couple of years and have been spacey and clumsy.  I always blamed it on my period, but now I have noticed that I have problems when I am overheated in general.  It is nice to know there is a reason, but I guess I can't do anything about it!  You mention that you are undiagnosed.  Have you had testing done?  I am going to the neuro on Wednesday unless I wimp out and cancel.  I hate that MS can be a difficult disease to diagnose.  There seem to be so many people with awful symptoms who are undiagnosed.

Hope you had a nice 4th!
Thanks for your comment.  Sorry you are undiagnosed.  What type of symptoms are you having?  Have you only had symptoms for 3.5 months?  I have noticed problems for a few years, but have never been able to connect the dots.  It all makes a little more sense now although I am afraid that they won't find anything and it will just get worse.  I had an MRI done a couple of years ago for headaches and I am sure my primary would have told me if he had seen lesions!  Hope you feel better soon!

OllieO
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
987762 tn?1331031553
Australia
5265383 tn?1483811956
ON
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease