Multiple Sclerosis Community

Testosterone and MS

Hi, guys.  This is just a teaser.  I'm getting tired.

There have been a number of studies looking at testosterone levels in men AND women with MS.

First, the men.  A recent study has shown that men with MS have low-normal or low testosterone levels compared to men without MS.  It is also noted that men have an older average age of onset of MS (in general) and at about the time when testosterone levels begin to drop naturally.

A study at UCLA is just finishing looking at this looked at 10 men with RRMS who were not on Disease Modifying Drugs.  In the first stage they examined brain function and did MRI's to evaluate total brain volume (looking for atrophy).  6 months later, with no treatment, they repeated the mental function testing and the MRI and compared results, including any loss of brain volume.  Then they had the men apply a  testosterone gel to their upper arm once daily for a year.  At the end of the year they again repeated the entire testing.

After a year of testosterone treatment, the men's average blood testosterone level was on the high end of the normal range.

Testosterone treatment was associated with better scores on the mental skills test and a 67% slowdown in loss of brain volume. The men's lean muscle mass also rose with testosterone treatment.

Larger studies are now underway.

Women - Yes, we have testosterone, too, but in much lower levels.  Studies have shown that women with MS have significantly lower testosterone levels than women without MS.  No, speical info here - just a factoid.  (Interesting to me, because when I was evaluated 15 years ago for decreased sex drive my testosterone was neglible - way too low for my age.  Hmmm.)

That last musing reminds me of the people on the board who have complained of decreased sex drive and decreased pleasure.  In women, one of the hormones most repsonsible for libido is testosterone.  I was told back then (so this is unconfirmed) that a man's estrogen level plays a large role in the male libido - as contrary as all that seems.

Zilla - ask this new endocrinologist that you'll be seeing if he will check you testosterone level.

Fun and Games on the forum, Quix
You are opening a pandora's box with that little tidbit... some of us are going to run
(well maybe not run) to our md's and check that out...

now we may have some ammo to share with the hubbies... why or why don't I... ??

Thanks Quix...

Frann

I will ask the endo to check.  I'm sure he's planning to.  It sounds like my neuro is expecting my testosterone level to be far lower than normal range if I indeed have........ Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.  He asked me about my sex drive, in fact.  I asked him how HIS was.  

'Twas a fun visit!

Zilla*
Just more fun and games:)

This is interesting because  several years ago  I was researching bioidentical hormones in connection with hot flashes and night sweats in menopause.  I bought Suzanne Somers book on that subject and learned quite a bit.  My gynaecologist told me that hot flashes etc. can go on well into the 70's and I know someone who is 78 years old and still takes pemarin.  

I have always been of the belief  that when I had to stop taking my estrogen and progesterone mixture  abruptly because of a blood clot, that most of my symptoms and problems followed.  I was perfectly fine before that.

Although you shouldn't probably take this website as gospel, there is a sort of do-it-yourself test at:

http://www.hormoneprofile.com/progesteronetest.htm

You can also buy all the creams there - don't all rush at once!

Look at all the symptoms they list for estrogen deficiency!!   I'm probably deficient in estrogen, progesterone, testosterone and everything else in the book.   In fact I am just "deficient".

No comments, please!

Marcie

I wasn't going to mention this, because I always thought it was just coincidental, BUT.  In February, 2004 I stopped my fairly high dose Premarin (had surgical menopause in 1993) to help me lose weight.  My first clearly MS symptom was the next November.   Hmmm....could it be?  Q
Why is it that the Testosterone thread has women flocking to it?  Guys?  Input, Please!
Quix - I  don't feel it is coincidence. I felt so strongly about this that I almost went back on my Premarin just to see if it made a difference.  I know it would be a risk, but  I was taking Premarin/progesterone for 13 years and to be taken off so abruptly is really not a good thing.

Marcie
OK Quix, now you are really onto something.  My testosterone plummeted to 170 at age 47 (should be at least 500 I was told).  That was in November 2004.  By June 2006 I was having the beginning of my leg problems and by August 2006 my legs started going numb.   I have been wondering if testosterone dropping and my neurological problem were related.  Thank you.....Craig
Just saw your note on the other post.  Interestingly, no doctor would put me on testosterone cream or gel.  They all said I was too young and would end up with prostate cancer or heart disease in ten years.  One doctor put me on Clomid (yes, the female fertility drug!!) to see if it would stimulate my pituitary gland to secrete more FSH and LH ?  That was horrible.  I even went to jefferson medical university hospital and they would put me on nothing too because of my age.  I finally ended up in frustration going to an anti aging doctor who put me on human chorionic gonadotropin s.c. daily and that brought up my testosterone to 350-400.   In May of this year I finally found an endocrinologist who agreed to put me on testosterone cream.  It has not been an easy three years!  Thanks so much Quix for making sure I saw this post....Craig.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4175463.stm

Here is a link:
It is a big problem that providers will not replace your testosterone.  The reason they don't is because they are ignorant of the literature and have very little training in TRT.  They often throw out the cancer word hoping you'll stop bothering them about TRT.  NEJM in 2004 published a landmark study that had 12 longitudinal studies that laid to rest the notion that testosterone causes prostate cancer. It you want to improve your quality of life and reduce your risk of all cause mortality you should find a qualified practitioner trained in BHRT.   Dr. Neal Rouzier is one of the leading experts in the field and has a good book on Amazon.
This is so timely!  I was diagnosed in April then a month ago I saw my pcp because I still felt so tired and was on thyroid meds anyway and needed those checked too.  Anyway, she ran a million tests and I have Hashimoto's and my testosterone was undetectable.  She said that it was probably a result of the thyroid being low, which made sense but now that you posted this, I'll have to tell her about this.  She is awesome.  She put me on the testosterone gel, even though use in women is way off label.  Now that my thyroid meds were increased and I've been taking the testosterone, I feel better than I have in the last 2 years!  
For those who are interested, I found some more articles that are from 2010, to add to Siddy's link.  There is an article discussing women with MS and estrogen/testosterone studies and at the beginning of the article there is a link to the article on men with MS and the sex hormones.  Interesting reading.

http://www.*************.com/multiple-sclerosis/c/19065/112585/women