Very MS like symptoms or anxiety?

Hi, I wanted to kindly ask the members here if these symptoms are MS like or if it could mean I have it? I am a 23 year old in remission from Hodgkins lymphoma 6 years ago. I go to the Dr routinely and get check ups and definitely have healthy anxiety considering I was scared I had cancer after finding a lump, then it was that after googling and going to the Doc. needless to say everyones worst nightmare. Now i am having Ms Symptoms and scared thats going to happen again.

So far I have vertigo when i get out of bed for months now- or turn my head, headaches, woke up with a numb mouth one night, lip twitching for the past weeks, muscle twitching down left side- legs thigh ect and internal vibrating feeling a little bit. What I’m feeling is very real, I can see the muscle twiching and sort of feel it inside too. But I also am very sensitive to my body due to my anxiety. I also have a very poor sleep schedule, like going to bed at 4 am every night. anyways I’m going to call in the am for an appointment but I am in desperate need of some help :(
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi and welcome,

Unfortunately with Health Anxiety it's very difficult to not be anxious about your health once it's triggered, but the more you worry about your health the more your mind hyper focuses your thoughts towards thinking something is seriously wrong and like a self fulfilling prophecy, your physical body will reflect your escalating anxiety...  

The more you read, talk and undergo testing for the medical condition your afraid of having, the more you escalate your anxious thoughts because instead of distracting, challenging and redirecting your anxious thoughts, the cognitive-behavioural aspects of what you're doing means your actually feeding your health anxiety and providing your anxiety with vaguely similar symptoms to the condition symptoms you've been reading about, and providing your health anxiety something to imply more meaning too....

What you are describing would be more suggestive-consistent with Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV), which is the most common cause of vertigo and it's a condition characterised by episodes of sudden 'very brief' vertigo when the head is moved and it's rarely serious, common triggers include rolling over in bed, getting out of bed, and lifting the head to look up.

BPPV is thought to be caused by little calcium carbonate crystals (otoconia) within the canals being out of place, it typically will resolve on its own, it is associated with migraine headaches though but BPPV is usually a very easily treated disorder if treatment is necessary!

Everything else 'could be' related to your anxiety level, hyper awareness of your body as you mentioned, and your anxiety is likely effecting your sleep schedule already but it's not uncommon even when your sleeping for anxiety to be effecting sleep quality, sleep deprivation and or poor sleep quality over time will cause havoc during your waking hours....also keep in mind that anxiety can actually also cause you to be breathing too rapidly or more shallowly than normal and the lower oxygen rate creates temporary tingling, numbness and twitching around the mouth, lips and nose areas of the face.  

Speak to your GP about experiencing vertigo getting out of bed, and because your health anxiety has been triggered waking every day with vertigo, it would be in your best interest to also seek additional psychological support and guidance from your psychiatrist or psychologist and potentially keep your health anxiety from getting out of control and making everything worse!

I hope that helps........JJ
Hi thank you so much for your answer. I went to seem my oncologist- She didn’t seem to think my symptoms were consistant with MS and more anxiety or low blood sugar/vitamin levels. I am a little relieved but still scared because I do continue to feel this internal shaking feeling in the morning when I wake up. She said that could be low blood sugar and was really more concerned with my anxiety. She also said the tingling in my left foot is most likely nerve damage from a harsh chemo I had years ago. Not really sure what to do now besides try to relax and not be hyper aware to my body .
The most pressing issue is likely to be your high level of anxiety, so it really would be in your best interest to seek specific medical help for your mental health, having the extra support will not hurt in the short or long term, so please consider seeing a psychiatrist or psychologist to help you learn how to manage this aspect of your health.

Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) can actually cause you to have a shaky or tremor-like feeling first thing in the mornings so consider your current dietary habits but keep in mind that sleep deprivation or poor sleep quality can also have an effect on the body's nervous system and cause the body to produce more stress hormones when your tired, which can definitely be related to your mental health.....i've also heard of people with vitamin deficiencies, thyroid and or adrenal issues experiencing a shaky feeling in the mornings too so if you haven't had any blood tests to see if something is out of wack it might be an idea to consider but if this feeling goes away once your up and getting on with your day it's more likely stress/anxiety related....

Cheers.......JJ
I agree about the anxiety. I just wonder why I am having face AND body twitching on my left left back stomach ect. Its light and not dibilitating but still worrying me. My really did not seem concerned and like you said more concerned with my mental health. Its very hard to feel ok mentally when i feel these symptoms :( But yes she also mentioned the blood sugar thing and my shakiness has went away pretty much. All that’s bothering me now is twitching.
The most common causes of involuntary twitching is anxiety-stress, fatigue, dehydration, magnesium deficientcy and exercise induced, it can occur in any voluntary muscle group but is most common in the eyelids (upper or lower), thighs, calves, and feet. When you deal with Health or General Anxiety, muscle twitching is usually more than just highly annoying, your mental health situation makes it impossible for you to not worry it's a sign of something serious....

Muscles fire more often when your under stress, it's basically to do with the fight or flight response but the common Health Anxiety behaviours of being hyper aware of your body, googling symptoms or medical conditions, constantly thinking about it, excessively checking your body for more abnormal signs etc etc etc can not only worsen the twitching but escalate your anxiety and fears of something being very seriously wrong.....when the underlying cause is mental health, what's wrong is the state of your mental health.

You have a very understandable reason for why your anxious about your health, you may have recovered physically with some residual side affect of the chemo but psychologically it is still seriously affecting your quality of life and for that alone, it's in your best interest to do what ever it takes to treat and learn how to reduce your anxiety, fight and change your tomorrows!

Good luck.......JJ

Thank you! I have been cutting out coffee and taking a multivitamin as well as magnesium supplements. I really appreciate you responding. My dr pretty much said the same as you which is reassuring to hear again in that comment ... I am in a constant state of stress so its all making more sense now as to why this might be happening.

You are reading content posted in the Multiple Sclerosis Community