Well, I'm gonna have to stop.

I've been running, which is great - it's reassuring to know that I can still run.  Unfortunately, I've been tripping so much that I fear for my safety.  I tend to stub my right toe on the treadmill, I guess because I'm not lifting up that foot enough, or the leg enough.  I hold on to the control panel so that I can pull myself up and continue running, but it's only a matter of time before I go flying.

And of course when I get off it's hard to walk without my knee folding up, and I'm getting too hot - I take a cold shower afterwards, but it's an hour or more before I recover.

So I've got to find something else that burns 480 calories in thirty minutes.  I tried a stair-step machine Wednesday - boy was that tough!  It took me 35 minutes to burn 450 calories, and that was a lot of work.

Any ideas?  
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Actually, I wanted to vent and I wanted some ideas, so thank you!  I've considered an AFO in the past, but wasn't sure if it would help me.
Helpful - 0
Well you are in luck,

An AFO, although at the ankle does change the mechanical forces of the knee.  People tend to think AFOs can only help if they have weak dorsiflexors, but when you change the force at one joint, then it changes the biomechanics of the next joint and blah blah blah.

I actually have great dorsiflexion strength, and really weak plantar flexion so I don't have push off and that causes my leg to drag unless I find some other way to clear it.  But, when I wear an AFO - as soon as I initiate movement forward, the mechanical forces of the brace pretty much do knee flexion and push off for me.

That was really detailed, but my point is try it!  It sounds like maybe you didn't really want ideas and just wanted to vent, in which case, I wasn't very helpful.  I had no idea an AFO would help me walk until I had to try one on in class and it got rid of my drag.  Physics is smart.
Helpful - 0
Oddly enough, I end up stubbing my toe more when I'm running slower!  

I wish they made an AFO for the knee - that would be great.  Or an electrical trigger that would enable the knee to be stronger.  

Seems like my leg's been weak the last couple of weeks, and my leg's really weak today - I'm hoping this isn't a flare!
Helpful - 0
You could also try an off the shelf AFO to wear when you workout.  That' will stop the toe drag.
Helpful - 0
Maybe you don't have to stop- just slow down a bit and go a few minutes longer?  It might help with the foot drop issue

good luck, Lu
Helpful - 0
There really isn't a cardio exercise that will burn more calories in the same amount of time as running.  

The cross country ski machines get close to burning the same calories, but like ess said - they are super hard to find in gyms.  Actually they sell used for pretty cheap if you'd be able to find out if you liked it.

I used to do the eliptical and it just never felt like I was really working hard.  I liked it, but it never felt like running.  I haven't ever found anything that feels like the same work out as running.  

The row machine and the upper extremity bike should get you high 300 - low 400 for 30 minutes depending on the resistance and speed. They are harder to find in gyms though.

In my perfect world for you - you could run with the body weight support system on a treadmill - this is not at all possible, they only use it for severe injuries, but it would be the answer to all your problems!!  

Helpful - 0
I used to swim all the time, but I had to stop, because my feet are always cramping up!  I like swimming, but I end up spending about an hour.
Helpful - 0
I like the precor machine better than the elyptical. it's kind of a cross between a stair climber and elyptical machine. not as much impact on my knees as the stairs, more fun and more intense than the elyp. get the resistance and height up there and you'll be soaked in no time. or spin class. actually, i've never done this, but know so many who swear by it. the morning class at my old gym fills up every day it's taught. swimming laps will also keep you in shape. no chance of tripping there.  isometrics w a medicine ball? ooh! boxing!! just please promise you won't jump rope.

there are so any things. if you hate all of those or they don't give you results, let me know. brainstorming on how to move the body is fun. : )
Helpful - 0
Ooh...  That sounds cool - mostly I go to the YMCA and use what they have there.  Unfortunately they don't have a ski machine... at least I don't think so!  They used to have this ancient device that looked more at home in a torture chamber than a gym, but when they remodeled, it went away.

They've got a nice selection at the Y - mostly bikes, treadmills, elliptical trainers, and some stair-steppers.  The truth is that I'm basically lazy, and hate to exercise - so I'd like to find something that takes the least amount of time to burn the most calories.  It looks like no matter what I do, I'm going to have to use more time...
Helpful - 0
Have you considered a cross-country ski machine, such as Nordic Trac? I don't think these are in vogue these days, but they have the features you want. They are infinitely adjustable.

They are expensive, of course, but used ones are available. I know of one. If interested, let me know and we can talk after my vacation.

ess
Helpful - 0
The elliptical is all right - it's what I was doing before I started running.  I just wasn't working out as hard as I wanted...

What I'd like to see is something that imitates running, but keeps me upright at the same time.  Some sort of treadmill combined with some sort of support system.  
Helpful - 0
My fav is the elliptical; depending on the setting you should burn at least 200 calories in approximately 20-25 minutes.

Terry
Helpful - 0
I've just started back at the gym,  I'm swimming- I look like  a slow turtle out there now.

It's ok- I'm trying not break a record and can't go as far & fast as a year ago. I go atleast twice a week & ride my bike at home.

I think just driving to the gym  should burn 500 calories alone in perfect world :-))

John...
Helpful - 0
Recumbent bike? Mine is programmable for easy to hilly terrain, etc. I can only do flat terrain but it still get things moving.

Ren
Helpful - 0
Sorry to hear that you are having trouble.
In a perfect world I would have an indoor pool with an underwater treadmill.
I am currently looking for a stationary bike to get started exercising.

Trying to burn 480 calories in 30 min seems like quite a challange for us MSers and those with similar conditions.  
I was looking at one of those eliptical machines that combines treadmill and stair climbing.  It is supposed to have really low impact high calorie burn.  

Otherwise, I have no clue.  Can't wait to see what others say :)

D
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Multiple Sclerosis Community