What does this mean?

I'm not sure how I found this site and I don't have a certain diagnosis yet. Last month my GP ordered the MRI and the impression of it are as follows: Lesions have orientation and configuration compatible with the clinical diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. I have an appointment with the neurologist next week, but would like to have an idea of how indicative this impression might be to lead to a diagnosis of MS. Any replies would be appreciated.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi, and Welcome to our forum.  I think you found just the right place.  Now bookmark it or save it to your favorites so you don't lose us.

I have to ask why your doctor ordered the MRI.  If it was for some neurologic symptoms like dizziness, weakness, pins and needles or numbness, vision problems, etc., then it was to look for lesions (areas of abnormality) in the white matter of the brain.

From the MRI report it sounds like they found some of these lesions.  These must have been located near the center of the brain, a place called the ventricles.  When the lesions appear near there and are kind of ovalish and the long diameter of the oval is oriented perpendicular to the ventricles then that is a pattern suggestive of MS.

MS is mostly defined by the symptoms and the pattern of symptoms and by any abnormalities found on neuro exam.  Then the docs look to the MRI for lesions that also look suggestive of MS.

So, the simple answer to yur question is:  This MRI result would likely point toward MS IF you are having symptoms like those seen in MS and especially if you have had more than one "attack" of symptoms that improved in between.  Also, you should have some abnormalities on the neuro exam that show that there has been damage to the central nervous system.

An MRI alone is not enough to make the diagnosis.  You need the symptoms and the abnormalities also.

Let me also say this backwards.  If you already have the symptoms and abnormalities on exam, but the MRI is normal, you are UNlikely to get a diagnosis of MS.  Most docs want to see the whole package.

We have a lot of info on MS here and you can read many other sites with good information.  Here are a few of those sites:

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Multiple-Sclerosis/Multiple-Sclerosis-in-General/show/24?cid=36

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Multiple-Sclerosis/MS-RESOURCES-ON-THE-WWW/show/493?cid=36

You are very early in your process.  But, here you are in a weekend with some worrisome news and no where to talk to someone.  Stay here and talk with us.  We'll help you get through the time until you can see the neuro.  I will say that this MRI does not make the diagnosis by itself.

Most of us have been in your shoes.

Quix, MD
Helpful - 0
In multiple sclerosis, the body's immune system attacks the brain and spinal cord.  The nerves send signals along the axons.  The axons are coated with an insulation material
called myelin.  In MS, the myelin is attacked and scarring (sclerosis) then takes place.  From what your report says, the radiologist sees problems with your myelin that are typically seen in multiple sclerosis patients.  It sounds like you will probably be given a diagnosis of MS when you see the neurologist next week.  However, the doctor will look at these results as well as your symptoms and decide what an appropriate diagnosis would be.  
Helpful - 0
Hi GracieBee,

Let me add my own welcome to the community here.  I hope you will find the information useful and the companionship comforting as you travel this journey.

Not to disagree with Gina04,  but I would not necessarily think that you will walk into the neuro's next week and come out with a diagnosis.  

Multiple Sclerosis is also a diagnosis of exclusion.  That means before any doctor will tell you that you have MS, they will eliminate all the other possibilities. This is done through additional testing and blood work ups.  There should also be an extensive neurologic exam.  

There are a number of disease processes that also leave lesions, though yours do sound classic for MS.  So please, do not be disheartened if you walk away from the neuro's appointment with more questions than answers.  This is pretty normal.  There are very few of us who get a diagnosis on the very first visit.

I hope you will stay in touch, learn more and ask all the questions you need to understand all of this.

be well, Lulu

Helpful - 0
Thank you all for your replies. I guess I basically knew it wasn't going to be simple to figure this all out. I believe I first had symptoms 10 years ago or more when living in Nevada the summer heat was getting to me and I literally felt my nervous system reacting. At this point I kind of like to just dismiss any further appointments and tests and just go on with life like it's been. I already feel very at home with this group so I hope you all will let me stick around.
Thank you for helping and especially for the links, which I read immediately.
Helpful - 0
Permission granted to hang out here as much as you want!    This really is a good place to be.

There is so much to learn about MS, but one of the most important things is to be proactive about your care.  Put together a team of doctors who you trust to work with you.

For most of us, MS is very manageable.  Don't give up, because you have lots still ahead of you.

stay in touch, Lu
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Multiple Sclerosis Community