What is FLAIR signal hyperintensity

After experiencing some minor numbness on my left side, I had 2 MRI on my head and brain.  The report I received says, in part:

"Several sulci of T2 and FLAIR hyperintensity within the white matter of both cerebral hemispheres"  "Primary diferential considerations include sequela of chronic small-vessel ischemic disease.  No evidence of acute infarction."

My Intenet searches have turned up a plethora of discussions of FLAIR hyperintensity in connection with conditions that range from Lyme disease to MS, but I haven't found a specific explanation of T2, FLAIR, or hyperintensity as they apply in this context.

Can you give me a fairly complete explanation of the terms and the significance of the phrase "sulci of T2 and FLAIR hyperintensity within the white matter" as well as any other insight into what this finding implies?
Hi could you please provide some insight as to what my recent MRI finding could mean:

"There are at least 20 T2 and FLAIR hyperintense FOCI within the periventicular and subcortical white matter of both cerebral hemispheres".

Also, I had a recent ANA test and the results were: Positive/Titre 80/patteren speckled.

Thanks.  Of note I've suffered migraines for 15 years.  I'm 50 years old.
This forum does not have an official physician answering questions.  I am a physician here with MS, but I am not official and I was NOT a neurologist.

Unofficially, you have many lesions found with the T2 and FLAIR techniques in places that MS lesions are frequently found.  However, a long history of migraine disease can also cause this type of lesion, as can many other disease processes.

Why was the MRI ordered?  No one can even guess at what an MRI means without knowing what symptoms the person has and what abnormalities they might have on neurologic exam.

The positive ANA is very weakly positive.  At the titre of 1:80 it could well mean nothing.  Real autoimmune immune disease is typically associated with higher titers than that.

So, no one here can say what your MRI might mean.  Much more information is needed.  What kind of symptoms have you had and for how long?  Is MS suspected?

Quix
Many thanks for your thoughts/input!  MRI was ordered for severe headaches.  I've suffered migraines for years.  My sister has similar ANA readings and had massive stroke at 43 yrs.

Again, many thanks!
With a history like that of a family history of early severe stroke, you would need to be worked up for disorders of the clotting system like are seen in Hughes Syndrome, AntiPhospholipid Syndrome, etc.  This is very concerning.  Please make sure your doc or cardiologist sends the blood word for the blotting factors and the antibodies anti-pospholipid and antiCardiolipin, along with Factor Leiden V, etc.  There are more than those, but a good internist, neurologist or cardiologist would know the whole workup.

Quix
Thanks!  Of interest I had DVT in my right leg (calf) at 25 years old!!   They never could determine why...they even though I had lupus.  Kind of makes sense looking back at things.

Best regards and many thanks for your thoughts on the matter.

Steve

The MRI the study reveals tht there are small discrete T2/FLAIR hyperintensity seen in the basal ganglia capsular region , centrum semiovale and right frontal subcortical white matter
no midline shift see
note is made of panisinusitis

The physical symtom is left eye twitching.

Could you please suggest what is this and is this worrisome? Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance

You are reading content posted in the Multiple Sclerosis Community