Avatar universal

Which Doctor do I need to go to after having dizzy spells for 2 months already?

Hi hope someone can help me. I have been having dizzy spells for 2 months already. I went to the ENT to have it checked and he required me to undergo a Hearing Test. The result of the hearing test said that "it is suggestive of a right horizontal canal lesion." After that, the ENT required me to undergo Temporal Bones and Brain MRI with Contrast. The results said that there is an "Impression: High lying right jugular bulb with questionable dehiscence." The ENT said that everything seems fine and required me to take Ginkgo Biloba to improve blood flow to my inner ear. I am almost done with the 2 weeks of medication but I still feel dizzy.

Have anyone else experienced this? Which Doctor do you suggest I go to?

I hope someone can help me. Thank you!
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
987762 tn?1671273328
Hi and welcome,

"The ENT said that everything seems fine and required me to take Ginkgo Biloba to improve blood flow to my inner ear. I am almost done with the 2 weeks of medication but I still feel dizzy."

I would suggest you get a second opinion with another Ear Nose and Throat specialist, if for no other reason than the first one telling you every thing seems fine but prescribing you Ginkgo Biloba, which is a herbal supplement, to improve the blood flow in your middle ear.

I would also suggest you re look at your hearing test results because if the test results say's "it is suggestive of a right horizontal canal lesion." there should be more specific information to have produced that particular potential, that information may help point towards alternative diagnostics.

Dizziness means different things to people, fortunately the description of what you experience will help to identify the type of dizziness it is and which type of Dr you should be assessed by....you haven't described your dizziness but your test results have picked something up that 'might' be associated with the cause of your experienced dizziness.

If it is more consistent with an inner ear issue (eg  benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV), inflammation - vestibular neuritis), over my side of the globe you'd typically be seen by an Ear Nose and Throat specialist and if nothings found and it's potentially due to a neurological condition then you'd get referred to a neurologist. If your not happy with the ENT or the resulting diagnosis doesn't help, you could see you GP and request a referral to who he/she recommends you see based on your test evidence, symptoms, etc

Hope that helps.........JJ
Helpful - 0
9745005 tn?1410044366
Hi, a neuro-tologist would be the appropriate doctor to see.  I wonder if you have SCCD disease, MedHelp doesn't allow for weblinks... but google that to see if it matches with your findings and symptoms.  Vestibular testing would also be helpful, they are different and more in depth tests than the standard hearing/auditory tests that an ENT usually does.  
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Multiple Sclerosis Community

Top Neurology Answerers
987762 tn?1671273328
5265383 tn?1669040108
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease