bruises

I know I get bruises from falling or just hitting myself on a piece of furniture but I have bruises all over my body that there is no explanation for. Just smaller bruises all over my body, right now I have them on both wrists and the top of my foot and then just spots here and there.  

Anyone else experience this?

thanks, meg
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Oh meg!!!!  Such a wonderful opportunity to have just about anything you want!!  Look at your partner and say, "Gee if word gets out about these bruises" and have the catalog opened to exactly what you want....lol

Seriously now, yes, I bruise easy.  I do think it is from the medications.  Which one?  No idea.  They put me on too many at one time to know.  But that would be my guess.  Another could be a vitami deficiency but someone else on the board would have to explain that...I have no clue which ones or why.
Helpful - 0
Deficiencies of any of the following can cause your skin to bruise easily: iron, vitamin B12, vitamin C, vitamin K, folic acid. Iron is the most common deficiency worldwide.  Co factors that help with iron absorption are vitamin C, vitamin B12, folate, and zinc. Vitamin B12 deficiency is of note with MS. Optimal B12 serum levels are over 800pg/mL or 600pmol/L.

"Vitamin B12 metabolism in multiple sclerosis

We have previously described 10 patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) and unusual vitamin B12 deficiency. We have therefore studied vitamin B12 metabolism in 29 consecutive cases of MS, 17 neurological controls, and 31 normal subjects. Patients with MS had significantly lower serum vitamin B12 levels and significantly higher unsaturated R-binder capacities than neurological and normal controls, and they were significantly macrocytic compared with normal controls.

Nine patients with MS had serum vitamin B12 levels less than 147 pmol/L and, in the absence of anemia, this subgroup was significantly macrocytic and had significantly lower red blood cell folate levels than neurological and normal controls. Nine patients with MS had raised plasma unsaturated R-binder capacities, including three patients with very high values. There is a significant association between MS and disturbed vitamin B12 metabolism.

Vitamin B12 deficiency should always be looked for in patients with MS. The cause of the vitamin B12 disorder and the nature of the overlap with MS deserve further investigation. Coexisting vitamin B12 deficiency might aggravate MS or impair recovery from MS." PMID: 1596201
Helpful - 0
Thanks, thats interesting.  I do take an iron supplement and mosy=t of the rest.  I take a B-Complex but vit B-12 , I don't know.  I am going to check my last blood tests to see if I was tested for B-12.

hugs, meg
Helpful - 0
My mother had bruising as you describe and turned out she has Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP), a chronic autoimmune blood clotting disorder. She was treated with prednisone for months until her platelet count returned to normal.  She's been okay since.  This is a manageable condition but can become quite serious if left untreated.  You should talk to your doctor about your symptoms and hopefully have this and any other serious conditions ruled out.  
Helpful - 0
Sumana, you may not have considered this, but there may be women reading this thread whose bruises are in fact a result of abuse at the hands of their partner, and I think that making light of the subject is a disservice to them, as victims of crime.  I am guilty myself on this topic myself: I've been prone to clumsiness and falling down the stairs and after cracking my tailbone the first time and tearing ligaments in my ankle the second time, I made a joke about my husband pushing me in order to cash in on my life insurance.  I got a look from a friend in the group that indicated I'd been insensitive and not very funny.
Helpful - 0
I stand corrected....and truly if anyone knows what domestic violence is I surely rate in the top ten.

Helpful - 0
I went through a period of bruising.  Was taking neurotin (sp) and keppra.  Blood work was good other than vit D.  Mine was on top of foot and alongside shins.  Doctor didn't know about the foot, possible flailing in sleep at night, but the leg bruising was determined to be self-bruising from muscle spasm.  It only lasted a couple months and then self-resolved.  

Is there any correlation between muscles that are spastic and these bruises?  This is a long shot and I still can't tell you the "why."

Let your doctor know at next apt. - schedule an apt if you also find a rash.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Multiple Sclerosis Community