Multiple Sclerosis Community

heel to shin test

is this test suppose to be done while sitting or standing. Also, what does it mean when a person can get pull one foot onto of the knee on one side but not the other?

I can get my left foot on top of my right knee but have to pull my right knee ontop of my left knee.

Also, I can lift my right heel and run it along my left shin, with a lot of effort while I am sitting.

While standing I can NOT run my right heel along my left shin.
But  while standing I can run my left heel along my right shin ...it that clear as mud?!

I know, I have been doing too much reading! Two weeks to go until I see the MS specialist and I am wondering if she will even do any of these types of tests.

I am also wondering if I should take any notes from my previous, tunnel vision type, neurologist who refuses to think out side of the box. Or just take the test results and films so I do not infect my new doctors thoughts with my old doctors short sidedness.  

L
I believe this is for motor coordination (Ataxia) check and balance.  When I did it I was standing up.
Jon
"I am also wondering if I should take any notes from my previous, tunnel vision type, neurologist who refuses to think out side of the box. Or just take the test results and films so I do not infect my new doctors thoughts with my old doctors short sidedness." This is a great question!!

I am wondering the same thing as I am about to see my third Neuro.

N
I'm taking only the copies of reports, they are objective findings.  The doctor's notes are subjective and if they reflected the doc's belief in your symptoms then you wouldn't need to find another doc.
I have always done this sitting.  Now granted, I was not able to stand well at the time. And I pretty much failed it in that I was supposed to smoothly slide my right heel down the length of my left shin, and vice versa.  Was not happening.  I could fairly smoothly run my left heel down my right shin, but not the other way around.  I could hard LIFT my right heel to get it up to my left knee, and when I tried to do anything remotely smoothly, it tremored fiercely.    I think it gave them a good idea about left/right side comparison and also perhaps strength.  Not sure.

Hope it helps!

Momzilla*
thank you for your responces. I was sitting when this was done. Actually sitting on the exam table with my feet dangling. I struggled with my right foot but the doctor didn't say anything. I guess she was looking for really strong clues. Mine aren't so clear. She didn't take the time to really listen...oh well. That is why I am not going back to her and am off to see an MS specialist!

Ok, so it is best to only take the tests and not her notes. I am taking a letter from my PCP. He was not happy with the neuro I saw. I can get all of my records from him because I had the nueros office send everything to my PCP.

Right now I am just trying to keep up my hope that this new neuro will listen to me. At least show some interest that I am having a difficult time. Something is causing my problems....but what.  

L
huh...I was taught to do the heel down shin while the patient was lying down.  This requires less muscle strength and would more accurately measure the proper thing which is the ability to "know and move in a straight line."  Standing I can't lift my right leg that high and if I wobbled it would be because of muscle weakness.

Q