some blood tests basck as well

Hi I am gonna see my neuro next monday but just want to ask some opinions, my neuro made me do a glucose tolerence test, fasting, it came back as abnormal, though the one I did last year september was normal, could the ms affect the glucose levals in ones body, the lab tech said its called insulin something or the other and my cholesterol levels were also high which they were normal last year, I have read that maybe its caused by the brain trying to repair the demeyelinated areas but I don't know, has anyone any ideas or had spmething similar
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
If the lab tech said something like "insulin resistant."  Most doctors have stopped calling it insulin resistance and they refer to it an "metabolic syndrome."  It has a few diagnostic indicators:  elevated fasting glucose, elevated hemoglobin A1C, waist > 40" in males or >35" in females, decreased levels of HDL, etc.  I don't remember the whole list.

It is normally considered "pre-Type 2 Diabetes." and there is quite a bit that can be done with diet, exercise,  weight loss, etc.  As far as I know, there is no causal linkage between MS and Metabolic Syndrome or Type II Diabetes (other than maybe the increased weight and "spread" that can come with decreased mobility, pain, depression that seems to come with MS.)  MS itself would not be a "direct cause" to "metabolic syndrome."

Bob
Helpful - 0
I know that steroids (if you are taking them) messes with the glucose levels.  
Helpful - 0
I've never heard of this (not to say it isn't the case).  However, diabetes can cause peripheral nerve issues . . .  
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Multiple Sclerosis Community