Multiple Sclerosis Community

testing

Good morning,
I initially went to the doctor due to ringing in the ear and one bought of vertigo. The doctor put me on steroids for a couple of weeks and the vertigo never came back, but the ringing in the ear was constant. My doctor then decided to do an MRI to check for a tumor, etc.  
The MRI showed a few white matter vascular lesions as well as an enlarged pituitary gland. I was sent to a neurologist who insisted that I have MS, but decided to send me for evoked potential testing and a spinal and blood work. Evoked potential tests were all normal, the NP who took my spinal fluid said it was clear with no discoloration, but the pressure was slightly elevated, but I haven't gotten the official test results back.
I have been researching MS and I haven't had the typical signs or symptoms, so I'm curious as to what else this could be? I know MS misdiagnosed a LOT.  Has anyone else out there had little or no symptoms with MS? Thanks!
Hi SJ -  Welcome to the group.

You are getting information from many sources, a lot of it mixed.

Your MRI indicated that the lesions were vascular in nature. MS is a disease that attacks nerves, not blood vessels. The appearance for spinal fluid does not say anything about whether or not the indication of central nervous system inflammation will be seen.

Do you know why the neurologist determined you have MS? To get an MS diagnosis most of us have multiple MRI of brain, c-spine and t-spine. Lesions have to demonstrate that there is MS activity in multiple areas of the central nervous system and that this activity has taken place during at least 2 distinct attacks. It's very difficult to make these determinations from a single brain MRI.

Diagnosing MS is a very tricky process. It is best handled by a neurologist that specializes in MS. My neuro does nothing but MS. I would think you will be best served by finding a specialist.

Kyle

COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi and welcome

I have to agree with Kyle, after reading your post i too was more wondering on the reliability of MS sources you'd been reading and additionally why your neuro would have been insisted that you have MS, with vertigo/tinnitus symptoms and only an MRI showing only a few ischemic white matter lesions (vascular), and enlarged pituitary gland....based on what you've mentioned, it would of made more sense to me if your neuro had been insisting your evidence wasn't actually suggestive of MS...

You stated "I know MS misdiagnosed a LOT" ....it's still possible to be misdiagnosed with MS but to believe it happen's 'a lot' would not be correct! It's more common for someone with more MS suggestive neurological damage to be 'suspected' of having MS, and still to be waiting in undiagnosed neurological limbo, until there is enough diagnostic evidence to meet the MS Mcdonald criteria, which can take years.

Q: Has anyone else out there had little or no symptoms with MS?
A: Yes it can happen with Relapsing Remitting MS but please keep in mind that the "symptom's" associated with MS are also associated with many other conditions too. So to be diagnosed with MS it is the totality of a persons suggestive/consistent diagnostic test evidence, eg abnormal neurological clinical signs, suggestive symptoms, brain and or spinal MRI's, VEP, LP, etc etc and there can't be any other medical condition that could also account for the persons diagnostic evidence.  

Based on your 'symptoms' of vertigo and tinnitus there are numerous medical explanations and i good place to start is.....http://vestibular.org/tinnitus

Hope that helps!

Merry Christmas..........JJ
It is actually a long process to be diagnosed with MS. Neurologists specialize and some do not know much about MS. I would find a MS specialist. Being misdiagnosed with MS is pretty infrequent. I had all the evidence of MS but it took two years to be diagnosed. I had actually had it 46 years and was misdiagnosed with other conditions. I have a friend who gets a lot of different information on the internet. She is often telling me it is not MS but something else because of something she read on the internet. You may not have MS only a neurologist can diagnose MS.

The LP for MS looks for o-bands in the central spinal fluid and not in the blood. They have to take a blood test at the same time as the LP. If you have o-bands in the blood serum too it points to something else. They send the blood off usually to the Mayo clinic. It can take some time to get the results. Other LPs look for other things. The clarity of the fluid and pressure is another LP all together.

Many conditions share symptoms with MS. The fastest way to find out if it is neurological is through a neuro exam. Any doctor can do it. It is reflexes and such. If it is not abnormal it is not neurological and not MS.

My MS journey started with a neurological exam my doctor did which was extremely abnormal. Then she sent me to a MS Specialist.

MS usually but not always starts with optic neuritis an eye condition. You have to have attacks in two different parts of the body at two different times to be diagnosed with MS. I am puzzled as to what the doctor saw so quickly.

Alex