Multiple Sclerosis Community

weight gain

Hi everyone!  I was just reading the "leg shaking" thread by Johnny and I realized that we all have these involuntary muscle actions everyday and yet I have gained 20 pounds since this whole thing started.  My thyroid has been checked (TSH w/ Reflex to Free T4) and was normal.  I have only taken the Medrol dose pack once so no real Prednisone weight.

Anyone else have this same problem?  I am starting the South Beach Diet today since it has worked well in the past for me but just wanted to see if anyone else has gained significant weight since symptoms started?

Thanks guys!
Have a nice day!
Kristin
Hey, I do have weight gain...but maybe that has more to do with the fatigue and not being able to get off my butt and exercize!!  I recently started ice skating again (I fall a lot more now, but it is more productive to exercize in the cold.  I always feel like I am going to pass out at the gym).  I went on the SB Diet once.  It worked for me too...until my Girl Scout cookies came in!  I should go on it with you.  Wanna do biggest loser contest?  I need motivation!!!

I want to turn my +20 to - 40!!!

Aussy
I have also gained weight.  My doc thinks part of it is the meds and the other part is from no exercise.  Since I've been in PT I've started exercising more.  I hope this will help.  Lyrica is one of the biggest culprits.

I'll be praying,
Carol
Yes, I am getting way chubby!!!  I have gained  approx. 15 pounds within the last 5 months.  I want to do the biggest loser, that sounds great fun, fun, fun.  Do we weight ourselves every week?  I think mine is from fatigue and no motivation.  I am taking no meds.  By the way, I went to the doctors today and am having a bunch of bloodwork to rule out stuff, and 2 MRIs on thursday.  Let me know how we can play the biggest loser.
Terrie
Well, first off...I don't think we should announce our initial weight.  I don't want to advertise that to the whole forum (especially anyone who might be thin...that would just ruin our friendship ;0) lol)  However, we could say we would like to lose x amount of pounds...or we could go by body weight % for the contest so it would be fair because the more you have to lose, the more you can lose, you know? (weight watchers goes in 10% weight loss incraments)  I would like to lose 35 pounds, maybe 40...  And then I would still not be skinny, but normal and within weight range.  

Can somone tell the trick-or-treaters to come early to get rid of all this candy in my house?  My husband, who actually has will-power, opened the bag and I feel like I grab something every time I walk by it!  I will have to buy more on Halloween!
I can't believe I spelled exercise "exercize"...I would much rather not realiZe when I make spelling mistakes.  
Hi Roze!
I love the spelling with the 'z'!

Z*
I am definitely in!!  It can't involve too much thinking or I will not make it but I think your ideas are great!  I too would like to lose 30 pounds.  I like the motivation of doing these things with someone it always helps to keep me on track when I have some sort of accountability and support!  Yeah, my husband has will power too, it makes me sick!  He can actually have just 3 Oreos and stop!!!  There has to be something wrong with him! LOL  

I have had to go on Birth control pills to try to see if the estrogen drop was causing me to flair up each month but since then I am still having these flairs and just got fatter while I shaked!  

We need a Club name to know that the post is about us trying to lose weight.  How about Team Limbolanders?  or maybe the Virtual Losers . . . .  .

OK - so it's me, Aussy, Terrie,  . . . .  . any other takers?    Go Team Go or should I say Lose Team Lose!!!!

I am going to go have some sugar free hot cocoa with ice!  
Kristin
I LOVE "Virtual Losers"  That's great! As "Limboland" may sound too exclusive...what about those not in Limboland?  They wanna play too!

Every other time I diet it has to be on the 1st or the 15th or 4 weeks exactly from a certain date or on a Monday.  I am going to start tomorrow!!!  Tuesday the 23rd, how about that for will power?

Weekly check-in?  Anyone can join at anytime?
Hey!  I juzt zaw that.  You think you are zooooo funny!!! LOL
Sounds good!  I still have 20 lbs to go!  :)
Allright allright....*sigh*  I hate to admit it.  I lost about 45 lbs last year.  I just stepped on the scale this morning...I've gone up 20.  EEEEEEEK.  Okay, I'm in.  My goal will be 15 pounds...20 would be too skinny for me, and impossible to maintain.  15 is doable, I think.  Better go dust off the exercise equipment.  Wonky legs, don't fail me now!

Fishy
Hmmmm.  We don't have to give up Quix's virtual ice cream, do we?

Oy!  I am sort of going through a bit of a mild depression, I think, with this lingering diagnostic limbo.  I don't know if I'm up for trying to lose weight right now.  I DO have about 20 lbs. I should lose to be at my ideal weight, though.  My doc wants me to exerciZe.  Have been walking every other day (and trying to recover from it every OTHER day, know what I mean?)  

I shall give it a go.  But my heart is not in it.  How's that for a good ole Hypo Gamma Chondria gal?  Tee Hee!

Zilla*