Myositis Community
48 Members

Inclusion Body Myositis

I have been suffering from lower back pain, both quads are pain full and it I am afraid to put any weight on my legs for fear that I may fall. It is slightly difficult for me to climb stairs. I have pain in my right arm. Had an MRI of my right arm and it came back that I have mild atrophy in my supinator muscle. My right forearm has mild atrophy (smaller than left) and my wrist has "perceived: weakness. My quads seem to be thinner, but my CK is within the normal limit and all NCV and EMG studies are all normal. My question is what are the typical symptoms of this disease.
Also, is it possible that you could still have IBM, with normal blood work and normal NCV and EMG tests?
Would you consider yourself to lead a sedentary life (be immobile most of the time)?  Considering that you have difficulty climbing the stairs would cause atrophy to your muscles in your legs.  If you are immobile or sedentary, this would also explain the atrophy to your arms as well.  Here is some information to learn more about IBM:  http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/inclusion_body_myositis/inclusion_body_myositis.htm as I don't think it fits your symptoms, however you should be seen by a doctor to confirm this and discuss your problems.

Perhaps some physical or water therapy might help (very gently), and when home doing gentle exercises like pumping your feet, arm rolls, foot circles, etc. to slowly build back muscle.

You should also think about alternatives to having stairs or have a chair lift installed if possible.  If not, try and make as few trips as possible and wear a back pack to put items in them to carry them up the stairs to you can hold on to the railing for safety.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.
How eating more salt may actually save your life.
A deeper look into the relationship between salt and hypertension.