Native American/Canadian Circle Community
17 Members

Native food and Medicines

Thank you for inviting me , I would love to hear of some Native American recipes, past and presant also the medicines used, I have a book that has some natural medicines ..it says ..and the fruit shall be for meat ,and the leaf thereof for Medicine ..Ezekiel
One of the most common recipes for the Mohawk and other tribes in Canada is bannock.  It tastes particularly good with blueberries or strawberries on top.

Basic Bannock

1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp margarine/butter
2 tbsp skim milk powder (optional)

Sift together the dry ingredients. Cut in the margarine until the mixture resembles a coarse meal (at this point it can be sealed it in a ziplock bag for field use). Grease and heat a frying pan. Working quickly, add enough COLD water to the pre-packaged dry mix to make a firm dough. Once the water is thoroughly mixed into the dough, form the dough into cakes about 1/2 inch thick. Dust the cakes lightly with flour to make them easier to handle. Lay the bannock cakes in the warm frying pan. Hold them over the heat, rotating the pan a little. Once a bottom crust has formed and the dough has hardened enough to hold together, you can turn the bannock cakes. Cooking takes 12-15 minutes.

Sounds good to me.  I like blueberries, strawberries, raspberries (just about every fruit, except...grapefruit).

I am going to save the recipe...will let you know how it turns out when I make it.

:-)
thanks
Great recipe ,almost like a scone mixture, so they are plain then you add the topping I bet you could eat them with cheese,and a slice of meat ..
Does it just taste good or is this used as medicine. I never heard of bannock, but sounds similar to what we call bisquits.
That recipe sounds great!  Thanks Nat!  :)
Bannock isn't medicine, it's just food but it's good  = )

Most Native healers use a holistic system.  If two people who are coughing and sneezing go to a healer, the healer will likely give different medicines to each person because they are two different people with different bodies, mind, emotions and spirits.  This is based on  the Medicine Wheel - a type of "teaching tool".  That's just a basic explanation but we believe in balance and if one area is out of balance, the entire person is effected - like a wheel with a broken spoke - if one is broken, the wheel doesn't work right.

Whatever medicines are used are also determined by the illness.

It sounds like I'm giving a lecture  = (

You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.