Neurology / Neurosurgery Forum

Can Mild Cerebral Atrophy from Malnutrition cause these symptoms?

Dear Doctor,
I went for an extended period (probably 5 years) of restricted calories, and a very high level of exercise. I was rather obsessed with not gaining weight, and would fill up on a lot of sugary treats after wards. My blood tests during this time showed low protein. At two points, my weight fell to 101 lbs. I am 5' 11" tall.
I am still weak and fatigued all the time, and have brain fog. I am dizzy all the time, and have a dull feeling in my brain all the time. My MRI showed "normal atrophy", and my nurologist thinks there is nothing wrong with me, as I came to him speaking about "chronic fatigue syndrom". It seemed like the only thing to call my condition.
Earlier this year I was severely anemic, and this has been corrected with iron supplements. I currently weigh 118 lbs, and have regained much of my muscle strength. I still have muscle stiffness and soreness, dizziness, brain fog, difficulty thinking, a dull headache, extreme fatigue, lack of energy, and it just hurts to think. I go around in a stupor all the time.
Could my brain atrophy account for my symptoms?
Thank you!
Sincerely,
Mike
Dear Friend,
You still are underweight. I would say 180-200 lbs would be good for your height.
Weakness is the main cause in your case scenario. Dehydration would also lead to altered /low kidney function test.
So would request you to start having a good diet as well as good water intake. Daily have 3-4 liters of water in your diet. All this will result into marked improvement.
Brain atrophy, may be just symptomatic.
Once you start to regain the lost weight, all will be well.

Feel free to discuss, in case of any clarification required.

Regards...
One thing I forgot to mention: I have low kidney function from dehydration during my period of over exercising. My GFR is 47 or lower.
Thank you,
Mike
Thank you for your guidance. I appreciate it very much!

One thing to note is that I am very thin boned, and have never weighed over 125. I have been eating well of late, and have been drinking lots of fluids, but still have these symptoms. I just got my MRI report today. It says:

Findings: There are no areas of restricted diffusion. For age, there is generalized atrophy that is relatively prominent. This even involves the cerebellum as well as the cerebral hemispheres perhaps with some mildly greater prominence in the perisylvian regions and parietal regions. Ventricles are minimally prominent consistent with a general atrophy. There are no intra or extra-axial masses of the brain. There is minimal white matter gliosis. There is no Chiari malformation. There is normal flow-void or flow-related enhancement, depending upon the sequence within the carotid and basilar arteries at the base of the brain. This exam was performed on the 3 Telsa scanner. A few retention cysts are noted in the left maxillary sinus and there is an opacified left ethmoid air cell.
Impression:
Generalized atrophy which is prominent for the patient's given age.
Minimal white matter gliosis and otherwise unremarkable MRI of the brain.

Does this mean that my atrophy is more than expected for my age (52 years old)? Could this account for my symptoms, given that I went for such a long period malnurished? (Cerebral atrophy is a condition characterized by a decrease in the size or a wasting away of brain cells and tissues. It may result from malnutrition
, abnormal cell or hormonal changes, or stroke. (Source: excerpt from NINDS Cerebral Atrophy Information Page: NINDS)

Thank you so much!
Sincerely,
Mike
Dear Doctor,
I certainly want to get better, but if things will likely stay this way, I need to file for disability. I was hoping that your comments would confirm if I should persue filing for disability.
Thank you!
Sincerely,
Mike
Dear Friend,
I don't think you can file for disability.
However only the doctor who is examining you physically, can certify the same for you.

Please feel free to discuss more with me as a fresh post.
Also , if you are satisfied with my answer, do refer your friends also.
I have got other forums also (Arthritis , Back and Neck Surgery, Back and Spine Surgery, Brain Tumor Forum, Headaches  , Hip Surgery, Knee Surgery , Neurology/Neurosurgery, Rheumatoid Arthritis. Trigeminal Neuralgia), where you can post other related queries.

Regards.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease