Neurology / Neurosurgery Forum

MRI Findings

I have had a lot of headaches, dizziness, hot needle like pin pricks on my body, vertical diplopia, blurry vision, numbness and tingling of hands and feet. Overall, I just feel "off" or like I'm in a fog. I can't type or write as well as I used to... I am just off.

I had an MRI done 3 weeks ago which revealed an "old insult" to the left cerebellum, low lying tonsils of the cerebellum, and a hemangioma on the L3.
My doctor is fairly certain I had a TIA about a week ago. I have been on a baby aspirin for a few years just as a prophylactic approach.
Should I be concerned about my headaches? I am in school... is this making me at greater risk (stress)? Am I okay to drive my children and continue on with my life as normal? Should I seek occupational therapy or something to help? Any other thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

thank you,

Lola
Hi Lola!

You have a lot of symptoms and I can understand your concerns regarding this.

If you have vertical diplopia, blurry vision, headaches, pins and tingling in your hands and feet, then please do not drive.

My first question is how serious are the low lying tonsils? If they are really low lying, then your symptoms could be due to this problem. It is also called Chiari malformation. The symptoms can range from various neurological problems to dizziness, diplopia, blurry vision, headache etc. This is usually managed by surgical intervention. So, please ask your doctor regarding this.

Since you also have headaches, benign intracranial hypertension should be ruled out through a spinal tap. Headaches in this case are worst in the morning and at night and increase with strenuous activities.

If you had a recent TIA then this would have caused an aggravation of symptoms. The only thing that goes against it is that in TIAs the symptoms do not persist. Also, your MRI does not show any recent brain injury or hemorrhage or trauma. If your doctor feels the TIA occurred after the MRI, then also, usually, the symptoms do not persist for a week.

Diplopia and blurry vision can also occur due to refractive errors of the eye, dislocated lens due to muscle weakness, squint, and cataract. So please also consult an eye specialist.

Since you also have pins and tingling and a general feeling of being unwell, other causes of diplopia and blurry vision such as thyroid disorders, diabetes, atherosclerosis, multiple sclerosis, temporal arteritis and hypertension should also be looked into. Please also consult your doctor regarding this.

I sincerely hope you will find this information useful towards achieving better health.

Hope you get well soon! Good Luck and take care!
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease