Neurology / Neurosurgery Forum

Paroxysmal Dystonia

Dear Nuerologists,
From the age of 18 to about 20, I had an extremely painfull condition/situation that had me in and out to the E.R. for weeks. The "diagnosis" that kept getting tossed around was "Dystonia" and more in depth was "Paroxsymal Kinesgetic Dystonia". This "issue" only seemed to have affected my lower back and right side of my body, permanently tensing those areas for about 14 or so hrs and putting me in the absolute worse pain of life.
My day would start out normal as any but would slowly progress and towards the later evening of that day I would have a full flegged  "flare up" and be unable to move by lower back or right leg. Given that the pain was un-bareable I was prescribed meds such Percocet, Predisone, Valium, Lyrica, Nuerotin, Mobic etc. These "flare ups" happened every day for quite some time (about a year) then they began to become more spaced out, then they became isolated and eventually stopped. I was seen at the Duke University Medical Center several times I have had muliple testing, and Duke could not come up with a conclusive diagnosis they were happy with, or seem to give me a "treatment plan". I eventually just stopped seeing any doctors. My questions are is it possible that my "issue" is not gone, but only "dorment" Can Dystonia or something along the lines of my situation be hereditary? Another Diagnois that was given towards the isolated events was "Psoasitis". My "Psoas" muscle in my right leg was inflammed which I think is quite likely just a side affect to my cirumstance just like the fluid in my knee, nerve damage in my right leg, and back issues from the distortion. Maybe you or someone can shed some light on this situation or point me in the right direction. Any help at all is greatly appreciated, thanks for your time.

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease