Neurology Community

throbbing pain in lower left back

I have a throbbing pain and a sensation of a heartbeat, in my lower left back concentrated around top of my buttocks. Same position every time. It happens daily during various hours of the day. Usually it's 2-3 heartbeats that I can feel, along with pain. Sometimes it lasts for 10-12 seconds with severe throbbing pain. I just feel like screaming at that point of time. After those couple seconds passes, its all normal like nothing ever happened.

This pain started around 2 months back and stayed for around 1 week. I had 3 long duration pain one day and the next morning had my head spinning (hardly could stand) and went to the ER. Doctors checked for Kidney stone but couldn't find any. I didn't have the pain after that until 2 weeks when it started  again.

I have an appointment scheduled with a neurologist. But any advice would help me a lot.

Thanks,
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems. Buttock pain can be a neurological (sciatica-diagnosed by MRI, EMG/NCV studies) or a vascular problem (diagnosed by a dopplar study). A wrong posture on a job that involves sitting for a long time too can precipitate this. History of taking injections in the buttocks in the recent past should be looked into. A number of times old injection sites start troubling if undue pressure is put on them as in prolonged sitting. This will respond to hot water bags below the buttocks at night or kept for sometime while sitting too.
Another possibility is ischiogluteal bursitis. This is inflammation of the bursa that lies between the ischial tuberosity of the pelvic bone and the tendon of hamstring muscle. The bursa may show inflammation without any cause or in association with hamstring tendinitis or inflammation of tendon of hamstring. The pain increases on stretching. Myofascial pain or trigger points in the Gluteus medius muscle and Piriformis muscles of the buttock can cause pain in the buttock area which may radiate to thighs. Stretching the muscle increases the pain. Pain can also be due to hip joint arthritis. Please discuss with your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.